I wonder if I'm thinking of a different game...?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
theanonymy
Apprentice

I wonder if I'm thinking of a different game...?

Post by theanonymy »

Hiya. Bought this game years ago, fell immediately in love, and played through maybe one third or so, before life got in the way. Steam sale came up recently, so I got my sweetie to buy each of us a copy of both Book I & II, because I'd had such fond memories.....and, because I had no idea where I'd purchased the game the first time; it was a couple computers ago....

So. Long story short, I've finally gotten around to starting Book I again, in anticipation of playing through both before Book III hits the 'net. Funny thing, though.....I could swear I was able to pick up barrels/chests before....I seem to remember having a huge stash of shiz in a couple places. And, I thought I was able to pick up/utilize elsewhere the TNT barrels, as well.

Am I nuts? Did I imagine it? For the life of me, I can't do it this time around. Or am I simply too stupid to figure it out?

Thanks. :?

EDIT: Whoops. Should have mentioned I've tried searching for the answer several times, so please don't judge if it's posted somewhere....
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

--Unknown (though sometimes contributed to Jonathan Davis, for some reason)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: I wonder if I'm thinking of a different game...?

Post by Dragonlady »

theanonymy wrote:Hiya. Bought this game years ago, fell immediately in love, and played through maybe one third or so, before life got in the way. Steam sale came up recently, so I got my sweetie to buy each of us a copy of both Book I & II, because I'd had such fond memories.....and, because I had no idea where I'd purchased the game the first time; it was a couple computers ago....

So. Long story short, I've finally gotten around to starting Book I again, in anticipation of playing through both before Book III hits the 'net. Funny thing, though.....I could swear I was able to pick up barrels/chests before....I seem to remember having a huge stash of shiz in a couple places. And, I thought I was able to pick up/utilize elsewhere the TNT barrels, as well.

Am I nuts? Did I imagine it? For the life of me, I can't do it this time around. Or am I simply too stupid to figure it out?

EDIT: Whoops. Should have mentioned I've tried searching for the answer several times, so please don't judge if it's posted somewhere....
Can only pick up fire barrels in Book II. In Book I, you can smash barrels to pieces, pick locks on chests (& smash most, or blow them up with spells) but that is all. You can use barrels and chests and bags most places but be careful of chests within sight of NPC's. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Gah! Must be thinking of something else, then.....I still 'remember' having one large stash at the original starting shack...were you able to fill the barrels, etc. with more than eight items before? I seem to recall having hauled even explosive barrels and stashing them in case I'd needed them.

I must have just made that all up in my head....however, during the umpteen Google searches the last few days, I did see some people posting in various places that they had, indeed, picked up explosive barrels to place in front of locked doors, for example, if they couldn't bash them...but not HOW they'd done it. *scratches head*

Regardless, thank you for your kind help. :D I can move on now, at least!
"You laugh at me, because I am different; I laugh at you, because you are all the same."

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

theanonymy wrote:I still 'remember' having one large stash at the original starting shack...were you able to fill the barrels, etc. with more than eight items before? I seem to recall having hauled even explosive barrels and stashing them in case I'd needed them.
If you like that kind of thing, go buy Ultima 6 at GOG :)
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

I love GOG!! Still have to get through the Geneforge/Avernum series, Avadon, Nethergate, plus all the REALLY old games I've bought.....but I'm actually not sure I've played Ultima! My bad.....I'm a desperately shameful gamer at times; I get to a point in some games where I either get frustrated or bored when I can't progress fast enough (due to an unsatisfactory build, difficulty too high, etc.), so I take a 'break' by starting something else that requires much time/attention/effort....and devotion *sigh*--- I'm an RPG sl@t; I fall in love easily. I usually have to just start right from scratch when I eventually get back to it, as I need the story to be cohesive and fresh to my mind. I still have yet to finish some of my favourite games from starting over-itis; Planescape, Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale, The Witcher.....etc. etc. etc.....gack! Should just turn in my Dork Card. *looks sheepish*

Whoops. Way to derail. Ultima 6 you say? I'm always up for a good RPG. Much obliged for the suggestion.
:mrgreen:

theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

Welllll.....*sigh*...I'm a bit of a 'tard, evidently. (disflamer: I'm in no way derogatory towards the mentally challenged community; just the opposite, in fact.....truly couldn't think of a more fitting descriptive for this particular shame of mine) :? *ahem*

Anyway. It was Book effing II I was thinking of initially. Indeed, one can pick up/move TNT barrels....the regular barrels/chests are apparently another RPG somewhere (likely Black Isle, something or other...Baldurs Gate?)...I play so many...I should have known, really; as I was playing through Book I, I kept 'remembering' things that I could not find again....like the shack with the 'bronze poem', and a certain hidden trail in the (Farrock) caves....somebody (a bum?) either attacking me or wanting something of me in the 'big' city....etc. etc. etc.; thought I was missing maps, maybe; kept looking for hidden routes, like through Darkford.... Gack! The reason for the descriptive above? I didn't realize I'd already bought Book II previously, as well, duh....and apparently played some of it! /slaps forehead

I swear, and this is no sh@t....I've bought/misplaced/forgotten probably a hundred games (more?) over the years (and several computers); many unplayed, even (hence Steam/GOG, etc...now my stupidity doesn't matter, ha!) So. The good news? This series is worth the dual-purchase price; it's THAT effin' immersive. All hail the 'new' Spiderweb Software....in my mind, the Eschalon series is just a bit superior to Avernum/Avadon (the only series' of theirs that are comparable; they've put out other amazing shiz, of course!) for gameplay (though I still love their story-writing abilities!) and graphics; I very much look forward to Basilisks' new other old-school RPG series'...es? Post Book III, I mean. The potential is there to be a bloody outstanding RPG/game company; there are so few that cater to old-school role-playing dorks such as myself....and my BF....and likely a large contingent of posters here....*sigh*

/end rant *cough*

Apologies. Bygones. :oops:

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

theanonymy wrote:Welllll.....*sigh*...I'm a bit of a 'tard, evidently. (disflamer: I'm in no way derogatory towards the mentally challenged community; just the opposite, in fact.....truly couldn't think of a more fitting descriptive for this particular shame of mine) :? *ahem*

Anyway. It was Book effing II I was thinking of initially. Indeed, one can pick up/move TNT barrels....the regular barrels/chests are apparently another RPG somewhere (likely Black Isle, something or other...Baldurs Gate?)...I play so many...I should have known, really; as I was playing through Book I, I kept 'remembering' things that I could not find again....like the shack with the 'bronze poem', and a certain hidden trail in the (Farrock) caves....somebody (a bum?) either attacking me or wanting something of me in the 'big' city....etc. etc. etc.; thought I was missing maps, maybe; kept looking for hidden routes, like through Darkford.... Gack! The reason for the descriptive above? I didn't realize I'd already bought Book II previously, as well, duh....and apparently played some of it! /slaps forehead

I swear, and this is no sh@t....I've bought/misplaced/forgotten probably a hundred games (more?) over the years (and several computers); many unplayed, even (hence Steam/GOG, etc...now my stupidity doesn't matter, ha!) So. The good news? This series is worth the dual-purchase price; it's THAT effin' immersive. All hail the 'new' Spiderweb Software....in my mind, the Eschalon series is just a bit superior to Avernum/Avadon (the only series' of theirs that are comparable; they've put out other amazing shiz, of course!) for gameplay (though I still love their story-writing abilities!) and graphics; I very much look forward to Basilisks' new other old-school RPG series'...es? Post Book III, I mean. The potential is there to be a bloody outstanding RPG/game company; there are so few that cater to old-school role-playing dorks such as myself....and my BF....and likely a large contingent of posters here....*sigh*

/end rant *cough*

Apologies. Bygones. :oops:

Yes, I agree with best game(s) around. Replayable to the max. :)

As for your last statement..apology accepted. *Pats youngster on head* :lol: When you play as many games as you stated, not to mention books read..they sometimes tend to blend together. I know, I'm twice your age plus a few more and that's what happened to me! :D
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

theanonymy wrote:

No you are not nuts. You just have good taste in games after reading some of the games you play :)
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
theanonymy
Apprentice

Post by theanonymy »

You just have good taste in games after reading some of the games you play

*blushes* Why, thank you very much. Clearly you're a fellow gamer of discerning taste yourself. :wink:

I know, I'm twice your age plus a few more and that's what happened to me!

:o Really? Isn't that you in your avatar....? That is amazing; I used to see a lot of similarly-aged folks in my occasional peeks for anything new and exciting through the 'casual-game' boards (marble-poppers, match-3, etc.....I may be mistaken, but I believe that is where I first came across Book 1), but never dreamed anyone hence would be interested in such an immersive genre. You give me hope that I'll still be around for a very long time.

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

theanonymy wrote:

:o Really? Isn't that you in your avatar....? That is amazing; I used to see a lot of similarly-aged folks in my occasional peeks for anything new and exciting through the 'casual-game' boards (marble-poppers, match-3, etc.....I may be mistaken, but I believe that is where I first came across Book 1), but never dreamed anyone hence would be interested in such an immersive genre. You give me hope that I'll still be around for a very long time.

:lol: I wish that was me (Avatar)! Heh, actually it does look a lot like me when I was in my 20's. Probably why I like it so much. :mrgreen:

I didn't start RPGing till I was in my early 30's. Dad gave me a box of a strange game for joke XMas present 1978. It was called "Dungeons and Dragons". Got hooked and have been happily gaming ever since. :)
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Dragonlady wrote:
theanonymy wrote:

:lol: I wish that was me (Avatar)! Heh, actually it does look a lot like me when I was in my 20's. Probably why I like it so much. :mrgreen:

I didn't start RPGing till I was in my early 30's. Dad gave me a box of a strange game for joke XMas present 1978. It was called "Dungeons and Dragons". Got hooked and have been happily gaming ever since. :)
Thats what I like about strategic rpgs. Rpgs like that dont judge you based on age or fast reflexes. It judges you based on strategy.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

SpottedShroom wrote:
theanonymy wrote:I still 'remember' having one large stash at the original starting shack...were you able to fill the barrels, etc. with more than eight items before? I seem to recall having hauled even explosive barrels and stashing them in case I'd needed them.
If you like that kind of thing, go buy Ultima 6 at GOG :)

I was thinking the exact same thing. So many fond memories of Ultima 6 from my childhood.