Is Magick Required?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
rayres
Apprentice

Is Magick Required?

Post by rayres »

Is it an ABSOLUTE requirement to have magick to pass certain parts later in the game? If so, can I train it high enough through a trainer to get it at the level needed? My int. is only 12 anyways, being a melee character! The only skill I have which does damage is swords, but I might train bows as well. Just wondering, because someone on the board mentioned it.

Thanks

Rob
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

The bow skill would be kinda useful for a warrior, although it takes some points to train it and I don't know how high ToHit ratio on the first level of skill is.

I've spent much time on rolling and I after some time rolled an interesting stats - 18/17/18/17/14/14/11/14. So my concentration isn't too low. I've to try it out.
Allorman
Initiate

Post by Allorman »

No, you don't need magic but you will need ranged attacks of some kind to complete the game as well as some side quests. You don't need to be accurate, since I think when hitting stationary objects it doesn't require a to Hit roll.

You'll probably want to pick up magic at the cursory level anyway though. If only for the heals and light buffing. You don't need to put any points into at level-up, just use trainers and books.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Hmm, do you mean the character rolling at the start is random .. I didn't spot that in the manual or whatever. Maybe I just started out with a poor character .. I assumed, as in most games these days, that the starting position was somewhat (or completely) fixed, based on race & class. I haven't seen a really 'keep rolling til you get a hero' game for ages.
8>.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

GSV3MiaC wrote:Hmm, do you mean the character rolling at the start is random .. I didn't spot that in the manual or whatever. Maybe I just started out with a poor character .. I assumed, as in most games these days, that the starting position was somewhat (or completely) fixed, based on race & class. I haven't seen a really 'keep rolling til you get a hero' game for ages.
8>.
That's why this one is called "Old-School".

For the record, you have about a 5% chance to roll a 95 (total) or higher. I would generally recommend waiting until you get at least that number with good values in the stats you care about.

With my current character I managed a 101 (0.44% chance to get that or better); at that point I didn't mind much of the points weren't all where I wanted them to be.
dryden
Apprentice

Post by dryden »

Vennor wrote:The bow skill would be kinda useful for a warrior, although it takes some points to train it and I don't know how high ToHit ratio on the first level of skill is.

I've spent much time on rolling and I after some time rolled an interesting stats - 18/17/18/17/14/14/11/14. So my concentration isn't too low. I've to try it out.
You must have rolled almost all 14's!
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

dryden wrote:
Vennor wrote:The bow skill would be kinda useful for a warrior, although it takes some points to train it and I don't know how high ToHit ratio on the first level of skill is.

You must have rolled almost all 14's!
Only about a 0.003% chance of rolling stats with a collective score that high or better.
Vennor
Apprentice

Post by Vennor »

Josia wrote:
dryden wrote: You must have rolled almost all 14's!
Only about a 0.003% chance of rolling stats with a collective score that high or better.
I see that I was preety lucky.

An early taken screenshot:

But hey, it's after adding 15 points from the "starting pool".

Forgive me, my fault I didn't wrote it and said "rolled" - here's the mistake.

But even after subtraction it gives 108 - preety high.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Vennor wrote:
Josia wrote:
dryden wrote: You must have rolled almost all 14's!
But hey, it's after adding 15 points from the "starting pool".

Forgive me, my fault I didn't wrote it and said "rolled" - here's the mistake.

But even after subtraction it gives 108 - preety high.
I took that into account. :-)

I wasn't doubting, just noting your good fortune.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Just for interest, what sort of dice are we rolling here - it's obviously not the normal 3d6, since the scores seem to be fenced between 7 and 14 .. is it 7d2, or something weirder??
roosterbear
Initiate

Re:

Post by roosterbear »

GSV3MiaC wrote:Just for interest, what sort of dice are we rolling here - it's obviously not the normal 3d6, since the scores seem to be fenced between 7 and 14 .. is it 7d2, or something weirder??
If I'm doing the math right, it's a 1d8 + 6.