I'm having some confusion in the citadel

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
agnari
Senior Steward

I'm having some confusion in the citadel

Post by agnari »

suggestions appreciated, hints or flat out answers would not be criitized:
posting copy of what i asked for in Finished still playing:

inside the citadel with 4 keys on the first level. have a dead end with 2 levers soouthern loose and north opens north door that leads around eventoually to a lever to remove trap into small room. once in room the only exit north is a death trap with no apparant way to over come it.

also around 11 114 there is a grate i can't find a lever or way to open to a big room to the north with some spider monsters in it.

I found no way i could do damage to the golden bull idol no spell or the special bludge weapon in the 66 chest.

SO what did i miss/forget, any suggestions? at this point i think the quest book has 4. about 4 keys to citadel, take the gem to the ____, the mayor to be killed in darkwater and possibly something else related to the citadel.

*note the 4th quest in the book was the one about the 66 code to the chest. so i'm down to 3 a minor one and what i assume are the two ending ones.

Post posting thought: I never did stay outside with the Giants and fight the battle against the goblins. Since their leader mentioned they would help but coudln't go in due to size, i just entered the gate and as the battle raged make for inside the citadel.

IN hindsight (i do have a save game before entering the citadel gates) that may have been a huge error. WAS it?
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

further info update, restored and battled along side the giants. at the end 2 giants and i were standing outside as dawn broke.

nothing found among the loot was anythingother then the random alch stuff or armor/weapons.

so the intial run inside no fighting wasn't a costly mistake.

rechecking each square lever i came across another unopenable grill to the south o fthe spider room 25 128 coords.

this leaves me (forgotting about the grills to the enclosed stairs at theintial entry 3 areas i can't get past).

to the left inside there is a northern grill with spiders inside no way i can see to open that grill.

the one mention above soouth of that northern spider room and then that north past the 2nd dead square. can get past the first but no way i can see to interact avoid dying on the 2nd
Allorman
Initiate

Post by Allorman »

If I'm not mistaken you're talking about the portcullises that slam down on you unless you flip switches near them, right?

Spoilers:

The first switch is right near the first door, the second is just beyond the second door but within range of any kind of archery, thrown weapons, or spells
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

thank you,

was the trouble. of course it was compounded (I noticed by the fact my torch was out. enough other light not to notice it without really looking but pot a torch and yeah the 2nd lever is now visible for a ranged attack).

got both endings accomplished. For sure haste and lever action are the most over powered device in game.
CapnBiggles
Pledge

Post by CapnBiggles »

edit: nm. Man that thing was a pain to find.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

agnari wrote:For sure haste and lever action are the most over powered device in game.
Haste is very good indeed, but it often seems to run out at the most inconvenient times.

As for the levers dropping portcullises, it's powerful, but you lose out on a lot of experience if you do it too much (though using it on those salamanders at the beginning improves your experience). You get 25 experience using the portcullis, but only salamanders and blood sippers offer that little experience for killing them.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.