Mapping Eschalon [Minor spoiler]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: Mapping Eschalon [Minor spoiler]

Post by Iane »

And here's a Map generated by using xolotl's Map editor from here http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=1809 it almost Looks like an Aerial shot of the whole Region.

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Iane wrote:And here's a Map generated by using xolotl's Map editor from here http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=1809 it almost Looks like an Aerial shot of the whole Region.
Whoa! :shock:

This is very cool! 8)

(I hope xolotl returns to these forums one of these days soon, with a more polished Book I Map Editor... :) )
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Wow! Great work there! :wink:

I wish I could use that program, but I couldn't make it run on Windows even after downloading all that stuff...

I'd like to see a higher res map, if it's not very hard to do! :)
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

The map is Down Scaled it's original is over 2mb at 2119 x 1059 Pixels (2.24 MPixels) (2.00) - here is one of the original sections

If you want these also I'll zip all 18 up.
xolotl's Program took me 3hrs to figure out to run on Vista and it seems that dumping alot of .dll files in a directory was all that was needed (but looking for the right version of the .dll was why it took so long to run )

and here is a section of a size 4 map to show scale (the image above is size 1)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Iane wrote:The map is Down Scaled it's original is over 2mb at 2119 x 1059 Pixels (2.24 MPixels) (2.00) - here is one of the original sections (of the Barrier Range region)...
Man, that really makes me want to figure out a way to get to that area NW of Bordertown (and west of the Barrier Range)!!! :evil:

The other interesting thing about these (and Iane's first set of) maps is that they show a couple of places where there are "mistakes" in the maps - most notably, the coastline of NE Crakamir not lining up with the W Salted Coast's and the Gulf of Madria's coastlines, and the 'rift' not lining up between the W Salted Coast map and the Central Tangletree map.

I guess working out these maps for Book I back in the day was hard to do without a couple of mistakes! :wink:
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Iane: Can you upload these files to Mediafire or some file-hosting site? Please? :wink:
IJBall wrote:The other interesting thing about these (and Iane's first set of) maps is that they show a couple of places where there are "mistakes" in the maps - most notably, the coastline of NE Crakamir not lining up with the W Salted Coast's and the Gulf of Madria's coastlines, and the 'rift' not lining up between the W Salted Coast map and the Central Tangletree map.

I guess working out these maps for Book I back in the day was hard to do without a couple of mistakes! :wink:
Also, I'd like to add that Grimmhold seems to be a tear and/or rift in space-time... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

IJBall wrote:
Iane wrote:The map is Down Scaled it's original is over 2mb at 2119 x 1059 Pixels (2.24 MPixels) (2.00) - here is one of the original sections (of the Barrier Range region)...
Man, that really makes me want to figure out a way to get to that area NW of Bordertown (and west of the Barrier Range)!!! :evil:

The other interesting thing about these (and Iane's first set of) maps is that they show a couple of places where there are "mistakes" in the maps - most notably, the coastline of NE Crakamir not lining up with the W Salted Coast's and the Gulf of Madria's coastlines, and the 'rift' not lining up between the W Salted Coast map and the Central Tangletree map.

You will never get there unless you remove the Map Barrier that Acts as an Invisible wall that's impassable - below is a section of the map with this Invisible wall made visible

and besides there is nothing there - also going north off map crashs game to desktop and in some cases going west of the map will do the same thing.

The last post on page 2 here has the complete ingame map as well - some places you can get to using the V1.0 of the game but I did remove some of the Barriers to get to other places to get a complete map.
Also I won't Adjust the map to line things up as that is the way Book I generates the maps and I think it's more Authentic if somewhat Flawed :)

Here is the Map at 2119 x 1059 Pixels http://www.mediafire.com/?m1d0jd4dfzz and the 18 map sections at 404 x 202 Pixels http://www.mediafire.com/?zryzzyzjeym
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Sorry to dig up this long-dead thread, but I noticed Iane's links to the "editor" maps of Book I no longer work/no longer can be accessed (and I haven't seen him around the forums for a while...).

So, hopefully this is OK with Iane, but here's a jpeg of the "high-res" Editor (using xolotl's editor) version of Book I's Thaermore maps:

If Iane isn't OK with this, please contact me, and I'll remove the link.

In any case, this map does show that there are some inter-map "flaws" in a few places...
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Great job, IJball! The community (me) will love you.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

There's a map here: viewtopic.php?p=5898#p5898
that I use all the time when playing Book I. You do have to turn it a bit on home computer to get the right layout or leave as is and turn your head. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

These maps really make Thaermore feel like a real place (and small, too!).
RPGamer
Apprentice

Post by RPGamer »

Lord_P wrote:These maps really make Thaermore feel like a real place (and small, too!).
The islands/continents are going to remain small until Segoy tells them to rise up from the ocean.

-Those who get the refference are awesome-
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Earthsea?
RPGamer
Apprentice

Post by RPGamer »

Looks like somebody is awesome.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

RPGamer wrote:Looks like somebody is awesome.
:mrgreen:

Edit: I have read three and a ½ books.