If you achieve Destroyer, post here [spoilers]

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
svetliy
Pledge

Re: If you achieve Destroyer, post here [spoilers]

Post by svetliy »

i thought it would be much harder...
i`ve use potion of invisibility, haste... and so on, supernova spell, demon oil III
sword and bow
destroyer.gif
destroyer.gif (238.87 KiB) Viewed 18340 times
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

svetliy wrote:i thought it would be much harder...
Yes, many people have been able to develop end-game characters which are much more deadly than anything we made during balance testing. We'll try not to make the same mistake twice. :twisted:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Iodine
Pledge

Post by Iodine »

Just did it on my first game with a lvl 13 Mage.

Forget about everything else - just quaff a mana fortify potion, go invisible and spam away with novas. The only hard part was having enough mana potions around to finish them off in one shot without camping (they regenerate), but since I'd been hoarding them since the beginning, it wasn't a problem. It's lucky I found out how to make fortify potions when I did, though. I wish out I could have known what they did sooner.

... Now to go back and find the pendant and that Crux everyone keeps talking about. :P
Getharn
Marshall

Post by Getharn »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, many people have been able to develop end-game characters which are much more deadly than anything we made during balance testing. We'll try not to make the same mistake twice. :twisted:
Although I guess the tricky thing is to do so without making it impossible for less powergaming players to also complete the game.

When building for NWN, I always found it quite tricky to create areas which presented equal difficulty to both players who build to a roleplaying concept as opposed to game advantage, and also to the sort of player who's quite happy to take a single level of paladin with their sorcerer for the saving throws (the poster-child of 3rd edition D&D powergaming goodness).

Of course, that was a multiplayer server, so it was easier in a way - there was no "central quest" that players could expect to complete, so it was easy just to throw in some absurdly hard quests and powergamers could attempt them at lower levels, or roleplaying characters could try them later.

Mind you, I guess you can do the same with a single-player game - if people want to create focused, powerful characters, they'll be able to complete the main quest at a slightly lower level as their "reward". Alternatively, less "strategically built" characters can level up a bit more and get through that way.

Either way, I'm sure you'll do a great job, BW, I was just musing on the subject for interest's sake. :-)
sjaffe
Apprentice

Post by sjaffe »

After playing about 15-20 games, I FINALLY developed a character I could take to Destroyer level. I killed the Chancellor and all the guards and it was fun, Fun, FUN. :-) Now I'm definitely ready for Book II!
Ojisan
Steward

Post by Ojisan »

Mmm, killed chanceller with my "mage" without using any spells, potions, buffs...

Heres fully buffed char:
narf03
Initiate

Post by narf03 »

done, <17 hours
good combination of mana fortified, invis, supernova, and level up at the correct timing, dont even need to use mana potion =P
Attachments
gameovermangameover.JPG
gameovermangameover.JPG (123.64 KiB) Viewed 18099 times
auditor9006
Pledge

Post by auditor9006 »

23 odd hours. Couldn't upload a larger image for some reason, max load of 225 odd kb. Very good game but still havnt worked out how to use the river boat at the lighthouse...

One issue i had (i say issue) was that the random drops and chests could be reset for free do - overs. I ended up always getting a brilliant drop no matter what... was this a common "bug"?

Picture 4.png
Picture 4.png (124.46 KiB) Viewed 18055 times
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

auditor9006 wrote:23 odd hours. Couldn't upload a larger image for some reason, max load of 225 odd kb. Very good game but still havnt worked out how to use the river boat at the lighthouse...
The boat at the lighthouse was there for an expansion that was dropped. Originally, there was to be a side quest to another island, but it didn't make it into the final game. Also, the boat travel overall was replaced by the quick travel menu.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

I'm a Destroyer!

I made it as a pure-bred mage, with the aid of a flask of incinerator fuel, 26 demon oil III's (made them all myself) and a whole bunch of portals and supernovas. I'll post some screenshots tomorrow and I'll be working on The Ultimate Magus Guide to provide some tips for characters that focus solely on elemental magic without having to resort to camping after every fight.

*Update* I couldn't wait so I made the pictures already.

Here's before the fight. You will notice the 2 Brewmaster's Rings and enough ingredients to create 16 more Demon Oil III's and a bunch of Potions of Fortified Mana, Mana Potions, Potions of Haste and Potions of Invisibility. Also note the complete lack of armor and weapon skills.

And here, after defeating the last guard.

bruno321
Initiate

Post by bruno321 »

Hi, this is my first post here! I have achieved Destroyer on my second playthrough (with a druidic warrior), here's the screenie:

I rarely used potions throughout the game, so I had stacked some Healing Potion III, Healing Potion II, Mana Potion III... I used some of those combined with buffs and good equipment and just bashed all of them.

By the way, what an excellent, really excellent game! I'm looking forward to Book II.

Cheers!
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

Congratulations Bruno! It's always great to see a healer put to good use. Could you also post a screenshot that shows your inventory and equipment and perhaps the bottom of your skill list?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Made Destroyer with a level 17 mage with divinations spells and some thief skills. Supernovaed the Spire Guards until they dropped. Kind of boring.
bruno321
Initiate

Post by bruno321 »

Thank you, woem! Here's the screenshot:

The skill Bludgeoning Weapons isn't shown on the screen. It is at level 18.

I don't know if my character is "well developed", that is, if I chose the adequate skills, axiom, attributes, etc. I don't like to check guides and FAQs to create a "super player", I'd rather just do what my intuition and the stats descriptions tell me.
agulhasde
Initiate

Post by agulhasde »

Okay on my first finished game:

my stats: