Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by King_ov_Death »

Antigrav wrote:Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

Shouldn't be too tough, right?
You may add that you can't reload to get different equipment while scavenging. :wink:
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

King_ov_Death wrote:
Antigrav wrote:Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

You may add that you can't reload to get different equipment while scavenging. :wink:
Aha! Good point. Also, on a side note, I've noticed that some chests and barrels seem to have contents that scale by level. I was level 9 or 10 when I happened upon some things in the Salted Coast that were very much nicer than I would have expected for the area.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Antigrav wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:

Aha! Good point. Also, on a side note, I've noticed that some chests and barrels seem to have contents that scale by level. I was level 9 or 10 when I happened upon some things in the Salted Coast that were very much nicer than I would have expected for the area.
Yes, in Book I loot scales according to the player level (I found Swordsman's Gloves in a barrel in Aridell late in the game that I'd forgotten to check early in the game once).

In Book II, I believe BW has said that loot will scale more by area difficulty, rewarding a player who'll risk sneaking into a powerful area when they're lower level.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
stelegrey
Initiate

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by stelegrey »

I'm currently working on a no reload, pure mage, no weapons run. It's going pretty well, though tedious, so far, but I'm sure things will eventually go south seeing this is only my second time through the game.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:In Book II, I believe BW has said that loot will scale more by area difficulty, rewarding a player who'll risk sneaking into a powerful area when they're lower level.
Some places work that way and in a few places the loot will have the same item but the quality will scale with the player level when he opens the container. So a knife at level 1 is copper but by level 3 is steel.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Is there a pure ranged/missile user challenge where you can only wield bows or thrown, no melee weapons, spells of any type. The only potions you may use are ones that enhance your physical abilities, no healing potions of any kind.

I might be losing it, but i thought this was in book 2 challenges?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I just had an idea that might be a cool challenge game for a mage/priest character

Apprentice Spellcaster-May only cast tier 1 damage spells. Tier 1 damage spells can be used at lvl 6 but no other tier greater than 1 may be used for attack. You still may use tier 2-3 spells that enhance or whatever else, but no damage spells above 1.

This may be much harder for a priest but for a mage it might be doable.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I am going to try beating the game as Rich Merchant. Doesn't sound THAT hard to me. Here's my plan: Arcane Elemental and Divination at start, as well as the required Mercantile. Save points for level up, put points into Elemental and/or Divination. Both magicks have trainers. Use other levelup points for Mercantile. Sounds simple.