Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Noru
Apprentice

Post by Noru »

I'm doing the no weapon "quest" already, thou I just read this topic :) my first 2 skills were elemental and meditation, no other skill I put at the beginning :) So at lvl 2 my skill list was like this: Elemental 11, meditation 10 :)
I rolled until I got a +20 attrib-set (base 80+20, max is 80+32, if all stat is 14)

So far it works, if I get mobbed, I use sonic blast, then pick the standing ones :D
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by mortification8 »

I've made some progress on Kill Everyone, and am working on a Let's Play type of walkthru.

I have successfully killed everyone except the following three problem beings:

1. The Captain (and any other persons) in the military bunker near bordertown - you have to time this just right, because there is only one opportunity to get into the bunker (early in the game) and once you complete that quest you cannot get back in (as far as I have found). I can complete this with a restart, but of course that takes another 20 hours.

2. The two gazers in The Underground Repository - I don't know of any way to get inside there and kill them without triggering a game-ending state. I think there may be a way to do this but I haven't figured it out.

3. Siam (the Magic Merchant in blackwater) - for some reason, striking him with a weapon crashes my game every time. This one is a show stopper.

Everyone else is DEAD DEAD DEAD. All the cities and buildings are nice and clean (well, except for the bloodstains of course :twisted: )
This space intentionally left blank.
tungprc
Marshall

Single Skill game

Post by tungprc »

You can take one and ONLY one skill for the whole game :)
just
Apprentice

Post by just »

mortification8 wrote:1. The Captain (and any other persons) in the military bunker near bordertown - you have to time this just right, because there is only one opportunity to get into the bunker (early in the game) and once you complete that quest you cannot get back in (as far as I have found). I can complete this with a restart, but of course that takes another 20 hours.
Didn't one of the patches fix this?
2. The two gazers in The Underground Repository - I don't know of any way to get inside there and kill them without triggering a game-ending state. I think there may be a way to do this but I haven't figured it out.
Use the portal spell to set a portal outside. But I'm not sure if that would require leaving any of the guards alive.
3. Siam (the Magic Merchant in blackwater) - for some reason, striking him with a weapon crashes my game every time. This one is a show stopper.
Crashes for me too every time he tries to do magic to me, I get in my first hit just fine. Maybe it's possible to kill in one hit (or two with haste). Or stun or entangle him first. He has 80 hitpoints.
//edit // I just tried, while hidden in shadows I casted him to death, he never did anything back to me.
Loriac
Senior Steward

Post by Loriac »

just wrote:
Use the portal spell to set a portal outside. But I'm not sure if that would require leaving any of the guards alive.
Its possible you can achieve this with two portals (I haven't tested this btw, I got a bit bored with this part after a couple of attempts to see how things panned out with the eyes / vault):

Set one portal in Blackwater, say in the room in the inn. Set a second portal where the guards and overseer are. Now, in theory, the second portal should be accessible (however, its possible that the game doesn't recognise this area as being valid once you've gone into the pen with the eyes). Once you beat the eyes, portal to the guards, kill them, then portal back to Blackwater.

One warning: I would dump all your stuff in barrels or chests before you go into the vault; I would also get the Crux on an initial run-through, so as not to break the rest of the plot.
Effidian
Steward

Post by Effidian »

mortification8 wrote:2. The two gazers in The Underground Repository - I don't know of any way to get inside there and kill them without triggering a game-ending state. I think there may be a way to do this but I haven't figured it out.
Demon Oil works from outside...
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Single Skill game

Post by mortification8 »

tungprc wrote:You can take one and ONLY one skill for the whole game :)
That's a good one, I added it to the list. Now, what would be the right choice for the one skill? I thought Alchemy, maybe, so you could spam Demon Oils...

Also: we now have a way in theory to win the Kill Everything challenge. Anybody that can do it, please post.
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by mortification8 »

Big contracts to GSV3MiaC, who has completed the first Kill Everything game!!!

Uppates on the parent.
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

I would still say there is one creature you cannot kill in Kill Everything. The guard that lets you out of the bunker where the Captain is located. You must talk to him to exit the bunker. Unless...you have a portal set up. Never thought about that :D

Did you kill this guard, GSV3Minds in a Can?
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

If these Ideas get into Book 2 they could be pre-configed in game menu and have scores uploaded to Basilisk Games site when you finish one :D
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

tungprc wrote:I would still say there is one creature you cannot kill in Kill Everything. The guard that lets you out of the bunker where the Captain is located. You must talk to him to exit the bunker. Unless...you have a portal set up. Never thought about that :D

Did you kill this guard, GSV3Minds in a Can?
Nope, that one escaped, but he was not 'in the world' at the point where I finished the game. And as I said elsewhere, there was also one goblin stuck in a mountain. But no, I ain't going round again.
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by mortification8 »

We're gonna give a "close enough" award for this, although if anyone can do the total and complete purge they will get a special asterisk.

I finished my Kill Everyone finally as well, with the exception of the guys in the bunker, which was no longer available to me by the time I went on the rampage.
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by mortification8 »

Survivorman Update:

This one is really, really, hard.

I started with Light Armor, Short-Bladed Weapons, Bow (from Ranger), and of course, Alchemy and Survivor. I decided to wait on the Cartography quest to get Cartography and put all my extra points into Survivor and Alchemy.

I had the idea to take Ranger to fit the theme, and to allow for ranged combat. But, once you run out of arrows you are pretty much toast. I'm doing a lot of running from monsters that I remember being much easier to kill.

Gaining levels is hard. You have to be very selective in combats. The Salamanders are pretty easy, and slimes are actually not too bad thanks to my Survivor Resistance, but anything else is a real problem. 2-3 monsters at once = certain death.

In theory I was supposed to be able to spam potions but not being able to purchase reagents = no potions :(

Not being able to shop at stores is really tough. I'm trying to run to Blackwater so I can then start buying stuff, but I can't get past the Wasps which gang up on me and kill me.

On the plus side, I have lots of extra money 8)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Stickied. This is a great idea for those who have finished the game and want to try something new. Thanks again, mortification8.
mortification8
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by mortification8 »

Hooray Sticky!

I went back through a Destroyer game and was able to pick up No Magic (normal ending) and The Shadow (normal ending) on my way to Kill Everything.

The shadow is easy if you know Alchemy and can mix potions to help you see in the dark. Likewise, Alchemy takes the place of magic so it makes No Magic much easier as well.

Had to resort to using magic for the Kill Everything however.

I still couldn't get a complete Kill Everything due to the buggy mage in Blackwater (although in hindsight I need to try Demon Oil next time). However the guys in the bunker can be killed using a Portal and you can Demon Oil the Beholders in the Repository. I need to take out the buggy mage using magic as described earlier for the full and complete Kill Everything experience.

Back to Survivor, and I'm going to try Rich Merchant as an in-between diversion...