Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by King_ov_Death »

I have a new, almost impossible challenge:

Stealthy: Instead of killing an enemy, sneak past it. If it detects you, the challenge is failed. The only exceptions to this rule are those enemies you have to kill to continue your quest (the Hive Queen, Gramuk, etc.)
Grindstone_82
Apprentice

Post by Grindstone_82 »

I'm new to the game and I'm close to finishing a no-reload, no magic, no alchemy character.

After experimenting on my own and reading the advice on here on high Endurance fighters, I created a fighter that only pushed cleaving weapons and heavy armor. I found concentrating on heavy armor quite sufficient, starting out with nothing but a Hardened Leather Armor is only a few points short of being in full light armor. It might have been even more efficient to push the shield skill at times where no other heavy armor pieces where available, oh well next time. I didn't ever speedrun, the game was comfortably easy following the main storyline and doing pretty much every side quest I got.

I guess my char would have been even more efficient if I had pushed Dex instead of Speed, and put those excess points into Dex instead of Strength as long as I could maintain the carrying capacity. It will be interesting to see the rebalancing of attributes in Book II.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

King_ov_Death wrote:I have a new, almost impossible challenge:

Stealthy: Instead of killing an enemy, sneak past it. If it detects you, the challenge is failed. The only exceptions to this rule are those enemies you have to kill to continue your quest (the Hive Queen, Gramuk, etc.)
Actually I did that one. By the way you don't need to kill Gramuk to win the game, you can sneak past him if your lock picking is high enough. Here's a screenshot after having looted his lair and opening the door behind him, unnoticed. I can just walk up the portal and claim victory with him still being alive. Do note that the lock can not be opened by a Lvl 6 Melt Lock spell, but it can be picked.

And here are my stats, along with plenty of gold thanks to our precious goblin friend. Also note the complete lack of weapon and armor skills (apart from the one I get from a book but that was never used). And I just started level 8.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Fun idea! The stealthy character looks like a good challenge. Am just finishing my second Iron Man game. The first was a pure mage who went all the way fairly easily. The first attempt at number two didn't make it past Grimmhold, but my current fighter is looking pretty tough. He struggled with some diseases early on but seems on track to do okay (so far anyway).

The Sneaky Iron Man looks like a fun way to kill time while we wait for Book II. Thanks for the idea :)
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I have two new challenges:

Allergic to Elixirs:

¤ You can't drink any potions or elixirs.
¤ If you have Alchemy, you can make potions and sell them, but you can't drink them.
¤ You can sell potions you find inside objects.

VII Century Tyson:

¤ You can only attack with your fist (no bows, bludgeoning weapons, cleaving weapons, short blades or swords).
¤ You can use Demon Oil, a Flask of Incinerator Fuel or any other thrown weapon.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

King_ov_Death wrote:I have two new challenges:

Allergic to Elixirs:

¤ You can't drink any potions or elixirs.
¤ If you have Alchemy, you can make potions and sell them, but you can't drink them.
¤ You can sell potions you find inside objects.

VII Century Tyson:

¤ You can only attack with your fist (no bows, bludgeoning weapons, cleaving weapons, short blades or swords).
¤ You can use Demon Oil, a Flask of Incinerator Fuel or any other thrown weapon.
Not sure you will make it through the Ossuary with this build, poltergeists are only defeated with enhanced weapons.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

King_ov_Death wrote:
AK_Marty wrote:VII Century Tyson:

Not sure you will make it through the Ossuary with this build, poltergeists are only defeated with enhanced weapons.
It can be done, all it takes is any item that gives +damage. So the right accessory works just as well as an enhanced weapon.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

And King_ov_Death specifically said that thrown weapons were fine, so you can use the +damage throwing darts and spears. My first try at the game, I had a character using thrown weapons, and it worked fine there, though the constant weight issues were annoying. It reminds you why, in general, the bow surpassed the spear as a combat weapon--better accuracy, better range, and less weight per projectile.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

mortification8 wrote: .....
:shock: Iron Man. You may not Save except when quitting the game. You may never reload except when first starting the game (e. g. no Save-Reload). If you die, you die. Game Over.[/list]
Rating System:

8) = Daddy, can I play?
:) = No worries, mate.
:( = Hmmm....
:cry: = This is gonna hurt...
:twisted: = mommy
:shock: = Whatchu talking 'bout, Willis?

Feedback on the ratings is welcome.
It's not a Rogue like game with a high random nor an action game, that's why Iron Man doesn't worth at all the highest rating.

The lack of random involves that Iron Man is in fact easy once you replay the game.
gunz
Pledge

Re:

Post by gunz »

s1l3nt0n3 wrote:I wonder if its actually possible to 'max' the skills? - My highest skill so far is sword - 30 something last time I checked..

What a coincidence that's my highest skill too. The sword!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Re: Re:

Post by King_ov_Death »

gunz wrote:
s1l3nt0n3 wrote:I wonder if its actually possible to 'max' the skills? - My highest skill so far is sword - 30 something last time I checked..

What a coincidence that's my highest skill too. The sword!
Mine too! I have around 26 or 28.
Thanks to this and the help of some stats and equipment, I was able to reach 41 ToHit and 42 Damage! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Also, thanks to my 69 Armor Rating, I was able to kill the Dirachnid easily, dealing damage in almost every strike and without suffering a single damage point. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Next stop: Destroyer!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

I have just finished EB 1 wih No Magic and "Iron Man mode" with an Atheistic Rogue.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Got a new 'Challenge Game' type:

Bows only: You must play Book I using Bows as your only "attack" skill - no other melee-skill or offensive-magic is allowed!

Because of the scarcity of arrows early in the game, I consider this to be somewhat of a challenge. (So I'd rate this one as: :( difficulty)
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

Poxx wrote: - Noob ( 3018 exp, I think this is the absolute minimum to achieve the end , but you are welcome to try and beat that score )
I believe I already did that? 1684xp at the moment you show 3018xp.
4204xp at the moment you show 5618xp

details on page 4 here: viewtopic.php?p=9289#p9289 (the one edit to that post was because I moved the image in a server rearrangement at some point)
Antigrav
Marshall

like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by Antigrav »

Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

Shouldn't be too tough, right?