Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by Unclever title »

So I guess the ad hoc excuse/explanation here is that he's so powerful that if he genuinely thinks he's going to be killed he destroys the whole world with him? I don't know it's a funny thought I just had. :mrgreen:
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

I'm Trying to complete the game in Iron Man mode with no magic. 8)
Ziaix08
Pledge

Post by Ziaix08 »

Idea for a new challenge.

no name for it, but try completing the game with an empty paperdoll i.e. equip nothing.
Rogosh
Initiate

Post by Rogosh »

Ziaix08 wrote:Idea for a new challenge.

no name for it, but try completing the game with an empty paperdoll i.e. equip nothing.
I like the sounds of this! Only, with no magic, either, and no reloads (aka Ziaix08's idea + Nevermore's). I submit for your consideration, "The Iron Monk". I'm thinking maybe no consumables either, but that may well be outside of the realm of possibility.

Either way, I shall try it and report back, after finishing my current "Complete and Kill Everything" run-through.

Edit: Yeah, definitely no consumables. Otherwise it's just a scrounging game, really. And with all that gold from selling gear, you'd find yourself with vast quantities of them. Just a straight-up Kung Fu experience, I think. :D

I know it's been said before, but it's really too bad there's no surprise attack heavy bonus damage mechanic ("backstab") here.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

I just finished the game making only two kills: the dimensional eye and the raptor (both using self-brewed demon oil). I didn't even have to kill the final boss: my hide and pick lock skills were high enough to just sneak behind him, walk through the door and continue on. It appears the portal is active even if the goblin is still alive. I'm not sure if the ending story still makes sense with him still being alive but it works just fine.

So in terms of challenges I did
  • No magic
  • The Shadow (didn't even use Cat Eyes)
  • Lover, not a fighter (didn't even equip a weapon once, and never spent or bought a skill point in an armor or weapon skill)
  • Pure mage (see above)
  • Pacifist (only the 2 obligatory kills)
Here's a little something I did try when I had the chance: poltergeists can be killed by a portcullis :) And for some reason they don't walk through a closed wooden door...
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Nice.

One Goblin warlord can be killed with a portcullis, but what about the other? Did you manage to get him with a powderkeg? In any case, I'd still count it as a "kill". :)
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

Indeed, one was killed with the portcullis nearby and the other with the keys that are on the top of the building. There's currently no official challenge for that so I'm not sure what counts as a kill and what not.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

Here's a screenshot after having looted his lair and opening the door behind him, unnoticed. I can just walk up the portal and claim victory with him still being alive. Do note that the lock can not be opened by a Lvl 6 Melt Lock spell, but it can be picked.

And here are my stats, along with plenty of gold thanks to our precious goblin friend. Also note the complete lack of weapon and armor skills (apart from the one I get from a book but that was never used). And I just started level 8.

moramber
Pledge

Post by moramber »

What I'm trying to do currently was more an economic thought than a challenge.

Learning a new skill in the character editor costs 3 Skillpoints.
You can also learn a new skill from a book.
Reading a book about a skill you have already learned will only ad 2 Skillpoints there.

I don't remember the value. I bought skill manuals (books) for 92 Gold
The first trainer lesson in a new skill costs 100 Gold = 3 skill points in character editor
The upgrade to level 2 costs 200 Gold or 1 skill point in character editor.

100 : 3
200 : 1
300 : 1
400 : 1
see what i mean?

So the idea is not to build up any skills untill you found or bought a book about it or someone to train you. (Or have the skill by 'birth')

To be honest, i spoiled that somehow. I build up unarmed combat because i never found a book or trainer for that.

Just because i like so much to let those fanged salamanders approach thinking: "Come little puppy. You're so cute. Let me pet you a little ..."
ZUSCH!
Salamander suffered (What so ever) points of damage and died

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
What a pity you get only 8xp for that but 25 when you crush one under a port culis
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Completed a challenge game as Destroyer:

Norlander Atheistic Fighter - Level 18 (makes level 19 when returning Crux of the Ages before killing the last Spire Guard) - curses are absurd
No spells
Kill everything except Siam (bug) and Darkford guard to leave (three goblin hackers got killed by acid grubbs before I could kill them).
Iron Man (no reloads)

Final Stats:
Strenght 30
Dexterity 36
Endurance 40
Speed 15
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 12
Perception 7
Concentration 12

Skills:
Alchemy 9 (+6 with 2 Brewmaster Rings)
Light Armor 1 (book)
Heavy Armor 10 (book -2)
Shields 4
Cartography 5 (trained)
Dodge 10
Hide in Shadows 1 (book)
Lore 7 (couldn't find Loremaster's Ring)
Mercantile 1 (book)
Pick Locks 1 (book) (+3 Burglar's Leather Gloves)
Skullduggery 1 (book) (+3 Trapper's Gloves)
Spot Hidden 5
Unarmed Combat 1
Bludgeoning Weapons 7 (trained and book)
Bow Weapons 14 (trained and book)
Cleaving Weapons 5 (trained)
Swords 20 (book)
Thrown Weapons 5 (trained)

Base to hit 19
Armor Rating base 10 (65 with full armor)
Damage Reduction 13%

Equipment:
Adamantine Great Helm +3
Survivalist Cloak +3
Bloodlust Amulet (+2 Strength, +2 to hit)
Adamantine Chest Plate +3
Warlord's Plated Belt (+2 Speed, +1 Armor Rating)
Iron Gauntlets of the Warlord (+5 to hit, +2 damage)
Steel Plated Greaves +4
Ring of Vigor (couldn't afford a better ring when availble)
Ring of the Assassin (+5 to hit, +2 damage)
Divine Ore Great Sword (+3 damage)
Recurved Composite Great Bow (+3 to hit)
Tower Shield +3
Adamantite Plate Boots +3
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I recently played as an Elemental mage with only Thrown Weapons and minimal Divine points. I threw three spears (which I found in a chest) at levers in the distance. So, I never used a weapon against any enemies. The only reason I wanted Thrown Weapons was for the Incinerator Oil at the end. That wouldn't have been necessary, but it was too much fun to pass up.
Poxx
Initiate

Post by Poxx »

I decided to take up the challenge. I finished the game with 3018 exp and 0.9 hours.
I also killed gramok and then I ended game with 0.9 hours and 5618 exp. It says on screen +2500 exp , but I think you get +100 exp for 'killing' Gramuk so he changes into a spider.

Challenges completed :

- Speed Game. ( 0.9 hours , either ending )
- The Shadow.
- Lover, not a Fighter. ( I never equipped any weapons, armor or rings. I completed the game bare naked )
- Pure Mage.
- Noob ( 3018 exp, I think this is the absolute minimum to achieve the end , but you are welcome to try and beat that score )
Attachments
Quick2
Quick2
Quick2.jpg (119.93 KiB) Viewed 19114 times
Quick1
Quick1
Quick1.jpg (117.93 KiB) Viewed 19116 times
Macblade
Pledge

Post by Macblade »

I didn’t see these on the front page, but didn’t want to read through all the posts because I haven’t finished the game yet. So maybe these have been proposed and shot down already. But along with Pure Mage, what about Pure Ranged (no melee attacks/no points in melee fighting skills/no magic-or maybe, 1 point only in elemental OR divine). Could also do a Pure Monk, but this might be too similar to some of the others. I’d do it as, no melee skill points other than unarmed, no light or heavy armour, no magic. Also, maybe some flavour like, you have to end the game with 10 or 20 points in meditation (even though that would do nothing for you since you can’t use any magic.)

Edit: Oh and maybe no points in hide or sneak for Ranged or Monk, as that's already covered :)
ManmonkeY
Pledge

Post by ManmonkeY »

Does the rich merchant work to play with, if so i am about to be one.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

ManmonkeY wrote:Does the rich merchant work to play with, if so i am about to be one.
Go for it! It's pretty dang challenging at first especially if you stick to the challenge strictly (which I did not), but IJBall and I had a lot fun with our Merchants.

Basically it flows like this, the beginning is harder than normal due to the restrictions on skill development the middle is still challenging but much more manageable and the end gets much easier by comparison because you have limitless funds. I would highly suggest a rogue for free pick locks (Course as I understand you can pick whatever starting skills you want) but feel free to try your own strategy, and report your success!

Who knows, if we get enough merchants on these forums we might be able to set up a trade cartel! :mrgreen: