Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
User avatar
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member
Posts: 236
Joined: August 8th, 2009, 6:47 pm
Location: El Palomar, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by King_ov_Death » April 14th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Antigrav wrote:Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

Shouldn't be too tough, right?
You may add that you can't reload to get different equipment while scavenging. :wink:

User avatar
Antigrav
Marshall
Posts: 102
Joined: March 26th, 2010, 11:26 am

Re: like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by Antigrav » April 15th, 2010, 7:30 am

King_ov_Death wrote:
Antigrav wrote:Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

Shouldn't be too tough, right?
You may add that you can't reload to get different equipment while scavenging. :wink:
Aha! Good point. Also, on a side note, I've noticed that some chests and barrels seem to have contents that scale by level. I was level 9 or 10 when I happened upon some things in the Salted Coast that were very much nicer than I would have expected for the area.

User avatar
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General
Posts: 2365
Joined: April 26th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Re: like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by Kreador Freeaxe » April 15th, 2010, 7:59 am

Antigrav wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:
Antigrav wrote:Scavenger: You may only use or equip items that you find in your travels. You may not purchase anything, ever.

Shouldn't be too tough, right?
You may add that you can't reload to get different equipment while scavenging. :wink:
Aha! Good point. Also, on a side note, I've noticed that some chests and barrels seem to have contents that scale by level. I was level 9 or 10 when I happened upon some things in the Salted Coast that were very much nicer than I would have expected for the area.
Yes, in Book I loot scales according to the player level (I found Swordsman's Gloves in a barrel in Aridell late in the game that I'd forgotten to check early in the game once).

In Book II, I believe BW has said that loot will scale more by area difficulty, rewarding a player who'll risk sneaking into a powerful area when they're lower level.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.

stelegrey
Initiate
Posts: 5
Joined: September 20th, 2009, 11:43 am

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by stelegrey » April 18th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I'm currently working on a no reload, pure mage, no weapons run. It's going pretty well, though tedious, so far, but I'm sure things will eventually go south seeing this is only my second time through the game.

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1467
Joined: December 11th, 2007, 6:51 am
Location: Wandering the Rift

Re: like a pure merchant, except the opposite

Post by Randomizer » May 16th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:In Book II, I believe BW has said that loot will scale more by area difficulty, rewarding a player who'll risk sneaking into a powerful area when they're lower level.
Some places work that way and in a few places the loot will have the same item but the quality will scale with the player level when he opens the container. So a knife at level 1 is copper but by level 3 is steel.

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious
Posts: 316
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by deathknight1728 » April 13th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Is there a pure ranged/missile user challenge where you can only wield bows or thrown, no melee weapons, spells of any type. The only potions you may use are ones that enhance your physical abilities, no healing potions of any kind.

I might be losing it, but i thought this was in book 2 challenges?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious
Posts: 316
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by deathknight1728 » April 14th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I just had an idea that might be a cool challenge game for a mage/priest character

Apprentice Spellcaster-May only cast tier 1 damage spells. Tier 1 damage spells can be used at lvl 6 but no other tier greater than 1 may be used for attack. You still may use tier 2-3 spells that enhance or whatever else, but no damage spells above 1.

This may be much harder for a priest but for a mage it might be doable.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum

User avatar
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Posts: 604
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 7:59 am
Location: Back in the Land of the Finns

Re: Eschalon challenge games (spoilers)

Post by Lord_P » December 8th, 2012, 12:10 am

I am going to try beating the game as Rich Merchant. Doesn't sound THAT hard to me. Here's my plan: Arcane Elemental and Divination at start, as well as the required Mercantile. Save points for level up, put points into Elemental and/or Divination. Both magicks have trainers. Use other levelup points for Mercantile. Sounds simple.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests