Death in Bordertown

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
TaarNah
Initiate

Death in Bordertown

Post by TaarNah »

Was looking for "Lilith" information and came across some bad news.

Many days ago, I was in Bordertown, and the guy, way over on the right, by the boats/water got killed.

The blacksmith and shopkeeper are ok...

It said to "not let any of these NPC's get killed"...

Have I messed up the whole game, or just a side quest...

thanks
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Death in Bordertown

Post by Vroqren »

Nah, you'll be fine. He's just offering a side quest. Pity he died, but you'll be able to continue. Lilith lives on the map south of Bordertown. To get to her map, head south-west of Bordertown itself, ad you'll find a little path heading into the map to the south.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
TaarNah
Initiate

Post by TaarNah »

Hi...was it a good quest??

I already got the Amulet... Just killed the Hive Queen.

Now for the good sword...

thanks...
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The quest wasn't super good. You just had to kill all of the fungal slimes in the region east of Bordertown. I don't remember how much the reward was.

Sorry, no tips for killing the queen, though I imagine invisibility potions would work well. I did lure the queen back to the kegs once.

Just so you know, the Repository has no monsters (unless you try to steal from a vault that isn't yours), so if you want that good sword, go get it.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
TaarNah
Initiate

Post by TaarNah »

I thought I read that there was some kind of "eye" monster...or some such.

The sword belongs to Lilith...so doesn't that mean monsters...I'll probably know soon as that's where I'm heading....
Last edited by TaarNah on May 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

There is a Dimensional Eye, which shoots plasma at you. Only if you get caught stealing from a vault that isn't yours though. If you have Lilith's key, Lilith's vault is yours.

Just note that if you choose to give the bandits Lilith's key after you take the sword, they'll come back and find you.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Vroqren wrote:
Just note that if you choose to give the bandits Lilith's key after you take the sword, they'll come back and find you.
Actually they will be resurrected, and they will come back more than once.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Vroqren wrote:There is a Dimensional Eye, which shoots plasma at you. Only if you get caught stealing from a vault that isn't yours though.
I've played through Book I a dozen times, but I never figured out how to trigger this. I've killed the vault keeper and all his guards, but the Dimensional Eyes just keep hanging out in their sealed enclosure.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. I know I've gotten trapped in their before though. It takes your armor away, so that even if you manage to kill the eyes, you can't go anywhere from there. That's if I recall anyway. Did you try opening vaults you didn't have the keys to?

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Been a while. I can't remember how I got zapped into the Eye Cage. :( Otherwise, with key(s) take what you want. Can't recall if you can kill the Eye thing while standing outside. I seem to recall you can't.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

If you have the key to Lilith's vault, you can open it with no danger. The danger is something to do with talking with the gate guards and saying the wrong thing.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The only way out of that area is if you have the Portal spell and have set up a point in advance.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:If you talk to the Vault Master and don't present him with a 'Vault Passkey' you are stripped naked and thrown into a filthy dungeon cell with two Dimensional Eyes. You are not suppose to survive the encounter as there is no exit and no way to get in.
Ah! That jogs my memory! Thanks. :) I believe I had the Portal spell and level 1 destination at the time.

What I can't recall is if you do get out and go back with a key, do you get your armor and stuff back? :D (after killing the guards and gatekeeper of course. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Dragonlady wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:If you talk to the Vault Master and don't present him with a 'Vault Passkey' you are stripped naked and thrown into a filthy dungeon cell with two Dimensional Eyes. You are not suppose to survive the encounter as there is no exit and no way to get in.
Ah! That jogs my memory! Thanks. :) I believe I had the Portal spell and level 1 destination at the time.

What I can't recall is if you do get out and go back with a key, do you get your armor and stuff back? :D (after killing the guards and gatekeeper of course. :lol:
Nope, the stuff taken from you is gone for good. You have to leave all your stuff outside and then get thrown in with the eyes in order to get your stuff back when you Portal out.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

If I recall correctly, the "Portal can't be used on this map" flag wasn't introduced until Book II. Which is why you're able to Portal out of the Destroyer fight and heal up :) I actually kind of like this, since I feel the flag was overused in Book II.