Thing you love about this game?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
JewelCG
Apprentice

Thing you love about this game?

Post by JewelCG »

Since we have so many 'bug' and 'I wish' posts I thought it would be nice to list a few things we love about the game.

I love having the option at startup to go full screen or windowed.

I love the artwork.

I love the lighting and ambience.

The sound the Minotaur creature makes cracks me up every time.

The raptor's calls are great.

I especially like being able to use my own picture for my character. (Use a female pic and name and voila, instant sex change!)

Thanks Basilisk!!!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I have many things I love about the game, all those things you listed....but I love the potential also...have not felt this good about a game since ultima's glory days.
Transfiguring Roar
Pledge

Post by Transfiguring Roar »

Man, this game is cool.

I played a thief. When I got to the place just out back of Blackwater and discovered what I was there to get (and the twist was a shock to me) I just thought "Nah, man, this is too much." So I stood under the portcullis and committed suicide. And I was a thief! The IRONY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm starting a new character, going with a dumb fighter so he doesn't decide to kill himself when I get up to that part again.

Actually, I love character creation. It's not too complex but all the skills and attributes have an excellent impact on the pc.

There's lots of nice graphical touches, too.
*roar*
Aresius
Initiate

Post by Aresius »

Everything. :roll:

- character creation
- skill system (just like the M&M-games)
- graphics & sound (reminds me of Ultima & Heroes 3)
- the MUSIC! 8)
- oldschool-style
- nice inventory :lol:
Birdmon
Initiate

Post by Birdmon »

I loved the save game icon - I thought for a second..I don't have a floppy!
I agree with Aresius, oldschool-style. I just hope we have enough old timers to keep this game supported. I could see an online version of this...Book 3?
UO
EQ
EQ2
(and that last pos from Brad Mcquaid - VG)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

The music and background noises are NOT annoying, they add a great deal. And whn goblins show up it cracks me up to here them sound like frogs. :)

The graphics are great too.

I like the choices of character and building up certain skill to make them a bit different. I started out as a Ranger/Divinor and now am doing a fairly strick Healer with some sword & Alchemy skills.

The side quests are interesting and never boring. Who knows what Spot Hidden will pop up next? I'm just hoping to find a huge diamond/sapphire as well as the huge ruby and emeralds I've gotten and sold. :) (in real life finding sapphires isn't that hard. I've done it. Had some of them cut and polished. Biggest I found cut down to 1 carat worth about $800. :) )

The flow of the quests from one spot to another is smooth.

I haven't had this much fun in ages! :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
vid
Senior Steward

Post by vid »

Birdmon wrote:I could see an online version of this...Book 3?
Sorry?!
I think you forgot this:

Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

vid wrote:
Birdmon wrote:I could see an online version of this...Book 3?
Sorry?!
I think you forgot this:

I think you mean

ERPG :wink:
tungprc
Marshall

Post by tungprc »

My favorite aspect of the game is playing with the skillsets. I still haven't finished the game because I like trying a variety of characters and seeing how each plays out.
macmert
Apprentice

Post by macmert »

I like this game because it is not a stupid game boosted with incredible graphics and empty shell game play and storyline... I have o admit I was shocked when I found out who was writing those letters :D The game has a great storyline and also gives xp for every lock you pick and every trap you disarm which is also good and sensible... The old school graphics really made me happy and really I shed some tears (ah the nostalgia :D) cause book I reminded me the ultima days and BG days :D

The only thing I dont like about it is you cant run :D Which is a really small issue...
dalamber
Initiate

Post by dalamber »

The game is great at all, but I'd like to especially notice its sound. All EAX and stuff in mainstream games just adds to the fun, but you usually don't lose a tiny bit of gameplay when playing mute. Digitised speech is great, but old games had it with text perfectly.

On the other hand, I can hardly imagine someone playing eschalon without sound. Sound informs you there are monsters nearby, that a monster has noticed you, that a lockpick broke, and so on. and on. and on. Maybe not a revolution, but sure the first time I see such attention to sound detail in a indie game that is not about music.

To make it perfect, I'd like to walk silently when "move silently" is active in Book II
RezoApio
Marshall

Post by RezoApio »

I love most of the game but the sound is really the greatest part. I do agree that I would not play without sound while on most of the game first thing you cut of the sound that add nothing.

My favorite is the bats sounds for the moment (and maybe the raptor but I am still too young ;-) to play with them)

Also I enjoy very much the animation for lockpicking and trap disarming.
Gardez suffisament d'humour pour ne pas perdre l'esprit au nom de la raison.
Ama la realidad que construyes y ni aun la muerte detendra tu paso.
leonhartt
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by leonhartt »

1) The great intro music.

2) Nice sound and 2d graphics.

3) Descriptions of places that pop up! They are all very well-written and adds atmosphere to the environment.

and others..
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

ERPG?
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.
PhilosophiX
Marshall

Post by PhilosophiX »

I have to agree, professionally speaking, as a writer and novelist; the description and the storyline is very good. The whole game is very atmospheric thanks to the well thought out plot. Those pop up descriptions also add a lot to the game. They aren't afraid to use good music and sound effects to add to the game either. Like a lot of people, I'm not only impressed with Eschalon, I'm absolutely dying to see Book II, because Basilisk Games have potential like I've not seen since EA killed Richard Garriot's studio (Origin), and I have no doubt they will go far.
What is a man, If his chief good and market of his time Be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure, he that made us with such large discourse, Looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.