Stuck at Shadowmirk

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
neskolf
Pledge

Stuck at Shadowmirk

Post by neskolf »

Hey, all.

I've searched the forum for an answer to my problem, but haven't had any luck. So, apologies in advance if this has been answered resolved elsewhere before. And thanks in advance for any/all assistance.

Possible Spoliers:

I have made it to Shadowmirk L1. I have made it to the chests in the pentagram room. I have placed the potion of ogre strength in the 'Give me Strength' chest. I have placed the Healing Elixir III potion in 'Ease my Pain' chest. I have closed both chests, stepped on the pentagram and.....nothing. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here? Again, any and all help is appreciated as I am enjoying the game thus far but am starting to get frustrated.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Stuck at Shadowmirk

Post by Randomizer »

It should work according to my notes, but I would have used a level 1 healing elixir. Check the potions match the plaques is my only suggestion. I don't think you need to close the chests.
neskolf
Pledge

Post by neskolf »

Thank you, randomizer. I'm certain that the potions match the plaques. I've actually done the routine three different times. I've tried it with healing potions of level 1, 2, and 3.

Facing the pentagram, the chest to the left is the 'Give me strength' chest and the 'Ease my Pain' chest is to the right. I've stepped on the pentagram with the chests closed and opened. I've even retraced my steps back to the earlier pentagram thinking that it might be active. I'm completely stumped at this point.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

That's really weird. I just tested it with one of my save games, and had no problem getting the portal to work by putting ogre strength in the left chest and healing potion (level 1 in my case) in the right chest.

You might try to upload a saved game so someone else can try it and see if they can repeat your error. I don't know what could be causing it, unless you accidentally confused a healing potion for the ogre strength (as they do look similar).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
neskolf
Pledge

Post by neskolf »

Thank you, Kreador. I did the routine one more time just to make absolutely, positively sure that I was placing the potion in the correct chests and the result was the same...a baffling lack of result.

I would like to upload the saved game in question per your suggestion, but I'd like to make sure I do it correctly. When I click on Browse to begin the process I get a pop up window that shows the Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games Folder. I click on that and am shown the slot folders. The saved game in quesion is Slot 9. Do I upload that entire folder or is there a specifice sub-file or files that I need to upload.

Again, thank you for all of the assistance.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

neskolf wrote:Thank you, Kreador. I did the routine one more time just to make absolutely, positively sure that I was placing the potion in the correct chests and the result was the same...a baffling lack of result.

I would like to upload the saved game in question per your suggestion, but I'd like to make sure I do it correctly. When I click on Browse to begin the process I get a pop up window that shows the Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games Folder. I click on that and am shown the slot folders. The saved game in quesion is Slot 9. Do I upload that entire folder or is there a specifice sub-file or files that I need to upload.

Again, thank you for all of the assistance.
It's probably best to zip the whole folder. You may need an online storage you can link to as it probably can't be loaded directly here at the size it will be (or maybe it won't be that big, I've never tried it myself).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Medardus
Pledge

Post by Medardus »

Hi,

I'm also stuck at Shadowmirk. I can't find any ogre strength... I can't make also, because I'm not on that level. Any help for a beginner? Thanks!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

You might not have the intelligence to identify it. I believe the potion is pink in Book I. I don't know if the challenge works if you can't identify it though.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests