Eschalon I - other languages official versions

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
severian
Senior Steward

Eschalon I - other languages official versions

Post by severian »

Recent discussion about russians trying to translate E3 into their language brought up a question.
Is there any official language version of earlier parts of the series ?

With some spare time, perhaps I`d like to try it on E1, with blessings form Basilisk of course.

What are your rules of cooperation in that matter ?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Eschalon I - other languages official versions

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't know all the details involved, but if you haven't already, you should look at this post about the unofficial but successful French fan translation of Book II:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =12&t=6556
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

severian wrote:Recent discussion about russians trying to translate E3 into their language brought up a question.

With some spare time, perhaps I`d like to try it on E1, with blessings form Basilisk of course.

Translating Book 1, as it is now, is simply not possible. Too much embedded text, too many non-standard files, no support for Cyrillic characters, etc.

However, there may be another option. There is talk going on behind the scenes that possibly we will oversee a remake of Book I using the Book III engine. It would be called "Book I, Second Edition". This is only in the "slightest possibility" stage right now, but if we got Book I updated to the Book III engine then we could look into translations.

As always, Book III needs to sell very well for us to even consider contributing our time and resources to this task.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
severian wrote:Recent discussion about russians trying to translate E3 into their language brought up a question.

Translating Book 1, as it is now, is simply not possible. Too much embedded text, too many non-standard files, no support for Cyrillic characters, etc.

However, there may be another option. There is talk going on behind the scenes that possibly we will oversee a remake of Book I using the Book III engine. It would be called "Book I, Second Edition". This is only in the "slightest possibility" stage right now, but if we got Book I updated to the Book III engine then we could look into translations.

As always, Book III needs to sell very well for us to even consider contributing our time and resources to this task.
Dude....thats got to be the best news Ive heard in a while (if it happens). Book 3's engine with book 1 would be excellent if not perfect. Seeing as I have a few people who don't know of Eschalon series, Im of the mindset that if I get them hooked on book 1, book 2 and book 3 will be next for them to purchase.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Dude....thats got to be the best news Ive heard in a while (if it happens).
Totally agree - Book I content in the Book II/III engine, especially if it includes extra or add-on content (e.g. Ash Island, and/or Western Thaermore), would actually be worth the full original Book I game asking price. IOW, I think people around here would be willing to pay 'top dollar' for it. I know I would... ;)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Even without new content it would be a different experience with feats and the ability to move keg of black powder around in Grimhold.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Translating Book 1, as it is now, is simply not possible. Too much embedded text, too many non-standard files, no support for Cyrillic characters, etc.
I was thinking about Polish version, as I see GOG has all your products, and it`s basically Poland-to-World selling platform.
Polish uses latin alphabet with some letters beeing different, but almost every other european languages has some, like French, German or Spanish....

Whether translating E1 or E2 will be possible, I think some freelancers with spare time, as I, could contribute to the Polish version.