Second level goblin citidel

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
noname
Marshall

Second level goblin citidel

Post by noname »

How to get to the second level of the citidel? Searched this forum and found nothing. Soon after entering the main entrance the gates to the center part closed barring the second level. so I searched the entire first level, pushed every lever every which way, found both closed back doors to the center area and still cannot get in. Yes, I have all four keys and completed all quests. getting tired of running around the first level with a torch looking for a way in. ( Hate dark underground areas anyway). After all these years I'd finally like to finish this gamel Help, anyone. Thanks
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Second level goblin citidel

Post by Randomizer »

On the east side there is a broken wall that can be destroyed by the nearby keg of black powder. This opens the map's north part. Then you need to work your way back west towards the center.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thank you, but I already did that. that is how I found the two back entrances to the central area. They are both closed with a grate and will not open or react to anything I do. I have completely circled the central area on the first level and cannot find anything else to do. There are no more barrels of tnt, switches, pressure plates, etc. I'm just stuck. By the way, my copy is from Basilisk and is up to date 1.06. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I don't remember the exact lever, but one in the southwest corner opens the gate that you want to get to the center.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

AHHH! Thank you, It isn't just any one lever but all of them have to be in a certain position either on or off to open the gate. I just hadn't hit the right combination yet. I didn't really expect there to be a combination since the levers were not all in the same place and each did function to open a door elsewhere. Tricky. Extrodinary that some people actually achieved 'Destroyer'' status. I thought I was pretty good since I could kill a taurex with three blows but I didn't stand the slightest chance against those spire guards. They could have ended the goblin menace by themselves!!!! Great game BW. Can't wait for number 3. Yes I can. Take your time and do it right.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

noname wrote:Extrodinary that some people actually achieved 'Destroyer'' status. I thought I was pretty good since I could kill a taurex with three blows but I didn't stand the slightest chance against those spire guards. They could have ended the goblin menace by themselves!!!!
I think BW thought the same thing, but he was underestimating the mix/maxing abilities of some of his players :) Probably the most difficult fight of the series, but I think I've been able to take them out with melee, archer, and spellcaster builds. Spellcaster is especially easy if you use Portal to go back to magic well in Blackwater whenever you run out of MP...
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I bow to you Spotted Schroom. I doubt that I could ever do it... but i may try again. :D :D :D
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Invisibility and haste helps, but a mage has it easier with supernova to clear the area in a few rounds.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

In my limited experience I found supernova to be useful only on weaker enemies. It uses too much mana and does too little damage. Works well on goblins outside the goblin citidel but had little effect on the taurex there. When I used portal to go recharge my mana and then returned too close to the taurex who slaughtered me with one blow.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

You can also just walk back to the entrance point and keep dropping the gate on the guards. Much simpler. :P
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Morgan Terror wrote:You can also just walk back to the entrance point and keep dropping the gate on the guards. Much simpler. :P
What an ingenious thought! I've always loaded up on Invisibility and Haste potions before trashing the guards. I'm going to pull up an old save and give your way a go....
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Morgan Terror wrote:You can also just walk back to the entrance point and keep dropping the gate on the guards. Much simpler. :P
Nope, the gate locks open after you go through. I think BW fixed that little trick so it wouldn't work anymore.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Supernova is really an old miner's spell that some enterprising war mages re-purposed for crowd control. It was originally called "Gem Finder."
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Unfortunately it had the awful side effect of setting everyone else on fire.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

noname wrote:
Nope, the gate locks open after you go through. I think BW fixed that little trick so it wouldn't work anymore.
Ah, that's possible. Last time i did that was on a rather old version. I've had some decent success with that chokepoint in general though, from what i remember.