Unofficial Eschalon: Book I FAQ

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

Where can I download the latest version of Eschalon: Book I?

If you purchased Book I from Basilisk Games the download link you were sent in an email will give you the latest version. If you purchased from a digital distribution service you should download the game using their software or website.

Version notes for Book I can be found in this topic.

Was a game editor made available to the public?

Basilisk Games did not release a game editor for Book I but an unofficial character and map editor was created by community member xolotl and can be downloaded from here.

Were any expansions released?

No expansions have been released for Book I. There was an expansion planned that would have allowed the player to travel to Ash Island but because of technical problems with the Book I engine it took a back seat to the development of Book II. (Ref)

Can I play Eschalon: Book I in another language?

English is the only language currently supported. Most of the text in Book I is stored in proprietary files which makes it very hard to give to others for translations. (Ref)

I purchased Eschalon: Book I from Basilisk Games and have lost the executable file and the download link has long expired. Can I get a new link?

If you are absolutely certain that you have lost the executable file you will need to email Basilisk Games who will send you a new download link. Contact details can be found here.

So you can be identified as a legitimate owner of Book I you should share in your email your full name, email address and Zip/Postal Code that you used when you made your purchase.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on November 23rd, 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 153 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

When playing Book I you can hold the TAB button down on your keyboard and the coordinates for your mouse cursor will be shown. Doing this will also tell you the name of the map you are in. A few of the answers below come with coordinates.

If you cannot find what you are looking for then please browse the Book I Forum or use the search query.

=================================
General Game Help
=================================

During my adventures I have come across an "Easter Egg" in a remote location. Can I find others and what purpose do they serve?
[+] SPOILER
There are three to collect. If you take all three to the ground level of Shadowmirk and interact with the display rack west of the entrance your character will be rewarded with enough experience to level-up.

The first Easter Egg can be found in Elderhollow in the upstairs section of the tavern. This item is inside a locked chest behind a locked door.

The second Easter Egg can be found in Tangletree Ossuary. This item is behind a closed gate that will only open once you have solved the puzzle with the four chests.

The third Easter Egg can be found in Rotwood behind the Goblin Citadel. Head southeast from the Timberland Giant's village and follow the palisade until there is a gap. Make your way through the gap and head west along the stone wall of the citadel until you find a locked door with a chest behind.
How many skill trainers will I encounter during the game? What can they teach me and where can I find them?
[+] SPOILER
There are six trainers with nine skills available for training. The skills are Cartography, Bow Weapons, Thrown Weapons, Alchemy, Divination, Swords, Cleaving Weapons, Bludgeoning Weapons and Elemental. You can make use of a trainer if your character doesn't know or has less than five points in a skill.

Cartography is taught by Garrett in Aridell inside the tavern. Garrett will only offer to train you after you have retrieved his sextant.

Bow Weapons and Thrown Weapons are taught by Aaron in Bordertown southeast of the tavern.

Alchemy is taught by Gamfari in Bordertown east of the tavern.

Divination is taught by Father Jonathon in Blackwater inside the temple.

Swords, Cleaving Weapons and Bludgeoning Weapons are taught by Sonya in Blackwater inside her establishment northwest from the blacksmith.

Elemental is taught by Siam in Blackwater inside the guild branch south of the blacksmith.
=============================
Early Game Help
=============================

Farwick has asked me to enter the cellar of his abandoned house in Elderhollow and retrieve a bar of mithril. After exploring a handful of rooms in the cellar I can't find anything of interest. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
You need to step on the pressure plate at coordinates X=51 and Y=42 in the room to the south.
Abygale has asked me to look out for the book "Secrets of Transference Circuits". Where can I find this book?
[+] SPOILER
Make your way to Eversleep Cemetery in North Parish and enter the family crypt. Find Hesham and head east towards the corridor. Enter the large room with the shallow graves and walk into the wall at the far right corner. Beyond this wall you will find a cabinet which contains the book.
Mary is worried about her husband Bradon and has asked me to look for him. Where can I find her husband?
[+] SPOILER
Head northeast from where you found Mary in North Parish and enter the next map which will be Northeast Thaermore. Head north and follow the road until you come across a crude sign informing you of a shortcut to Darkford. Take the shortcut west into the trees and head south at the first opportunity to find Bradon.
I have found a hidden pentagram in a cottage near Bordertown but it isn't working. How do I activate this pentagram?
[+] SPOILER
To activate the pentagram the alembic requires four specific ingredients, two of which are already inside the alembic. The four ingredients are Ambergris, Bromine, Ectoplasm and Mercury.
I have decided to look for Garrett's sextant. Where can I find his sextant?
[+] SPOILER
The Antique Sextant can be found on the Eastern Salted Coast. This item is inside a locked chest in a ruined house in the middle of the east coast. The coordinates for the chest are X=91 and Y=101.
Father Michael wants me to deliver a potion to a sick man living in the Salted Coast region. Where can I find this sick man?
[+] SPOILER
The sick man can be found on the Eastern Salted Coast. Find the building in the middle of the south coast and head northwest until you come across trees. From the trees head north to find the sick man.
The guards outside Darkford won't let me enter without presenting a writ from the Chancellor of Thaermore. How can I get inside?
[+] SPOILER
To get inside Darkford you need to talk to Father Michael in Aridell and accept his quest to deliver a potion to a sick man living in the Salted Coast region. When you locate the sick man talk to him and give him the potion. The sick man will then offer you a quest to deliver an important document to Darkford which you should accept. Make your way to the entrance of Darkford and talk to one of the two guards. Mention the important document and when you aren't taken seriously threaten the guard to get inside.
Krista has asked me to travel to Grimmhold and retrieve her family's heirloom. Where can I find the heirloom?
[+] SPOILER
The Brass Locket can be found on the west side of Grimmhold. This item is inside the cabinet south of the ladder that leads down to the maintenance level.
I am stuck underneath Grimmhold in the Maintenance Level in the room with the chest and the three Noximanders. How do I get out?
[+] SPOILER
Use the wooden lever in the cell that held the Noximander in the middle. The coordinates for the wooden lever are X=76 and Y=81.
In the middle of Tangletree Forest I have come across a chest in an abandoned house with a slider lock. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 167.

You are given this number as a reward from Mary if you find her missing husband.

While exploring Whistling Cave I found two rows of wooden levers. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
On the top row push the left and right levers. On the bottom row push the middle lever.

Every lever in this location has a brown or gray coloured tile underneath it. You push the levers with the brown tiles to complete this puzzle.
After solving the wooden lever puzzle in Whistling Cave I have found a chest with a slider lock. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 61.

Behind the chest is a plaque that gives the cryptic clue: "The answer is: S T E E L". For this puzzle each letter from the word steel represents a number in the order the letter appears in the alphabet. A will be 1, C will be 3 and Z will be 26. Add the five numbers up from the word steel and you get the answer.
================================
Middle Game Help
================================

How many security boxes can I open in the Underground Repository?
[+] SPOILER
You can open security box 15 and 26.

Amulet Passkey 15 belongs to Lilith and the only way to get the amulet is to murder her.

Amulet Passkey 26 is found underneath Eversleep Cemetery in the family crypt. You will find this amulet if you follow the natural progression of the storyline.
Gunther wants me to find and return with his divine ore that was stolen by mercenaries but I cannot find their hideout. Where can I find them?
[+] SPOILER
Head east from Blackwater and enter the next map which will be Western Tangletree. From this map head south and enter the next map to find yourself in Northeastern Crakamir. Continue heading south until you come across the Southern Gate and head southeast into the forest. Head north at the first opportunity to find the mercenary hideout.
Having found and entered the mercenaries' hideout in search of Gunther's divine ore all I can find at the end of a corridor is a dead end. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
There are six sconces in this room. Place a torch in each sconce and step on the pressure plate at coordinates X=78 and Y=138.
Vekkar has asked me to find the last burley oak tree in Tangletree Forest and return with one of its acorn. Where can I find this tree?
[+] SPOILER
Make your way to the entrance of Tangletree Ossuary and head northeast. Go past the cottage and head east whenever you can and eventually you will find some Acid Grubbs. Continue heading east and you will find the burley oak tree.
What object do I need to touch to activate quick travel for Loneloft and where can I find it?
[+] SPOILER
Head east from Blackwater and enter the next map which will be Western Tangletree. From this map head south and enter the next map to find yourself in Northeastern Crakamir. The object you need to touch is a ruined obelisk near the top left corner at coordinates X=13 and Y=20.
While exploring Tangletree Ossuary I have found four chests and a pressure plate next to a closed gate. How do I open the gate?
[+] SPOILER
You need to place a specific item into each chest. From left to right: any ring, any Bludgeoning Weapon, Ash and Apple. When you have done this step on the pressure plate in the middle of the room.
At the back of Tangletree Ossuary I have come across a tomb that has a slider lock built into it. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 98.

You are given this number as a reward from Oolaseph if you bring him a vial of pure water from the Barrens of Crakamir.
I want to enter Shadowmirk but the entrance is closed. I see a wooden lever on the other side of a closed portcullis but I cannot reach it. How do I get past?
[+] SPOILER
At the entrance to Shadowmirk head east and go anticlockwise around the trees. Follow the wall perimeter of Shadowmirk along the coast and you will find another entrance.
I have entered Shadowmirk but the Dimensional Eye is currently too powerful for my character. Can I avoid this creature and continue exploring Shadowmirk?
[+] SPOILER
You cannot explore the rest of Shadowmirk until the Dimensional Eye has been destroyed. When the Dimensional Eye has been defeated the portcullis blocking your path will open. If you follow the natural progression of the main storyline you should have no problem defeating the Dimensional Eye when you need to visit Shadowmirk.
After defeating the Dimensional Eye in Shadowmirk I have found an inactive pentagram with a chest on each side. There is a plaque with a riddle for each chest. What do I do?
[+] SPOILER
You need to place a specific item into each chest. Put a Potion of Ogre Strength in the chest left of the pentagram and a Healing Elixir in the other chest. When you have done this step on the pentagram.

You don't have to leave Shadowmirk if you don't have the potions. The Potion of Ogre Strength can be found beyond the necrotic studies and bone storage area inside a chest. The Healing Elixir can be found in the arachnid chamber in the spider sack closest to the right corner.
============================
Late Game Help
============================

I want to explore the Barrens of Crakamir beyond Thaermore but the Southern Gate is locked. How do I reach this land?
[+] SPOILER
There are three ways.

The first involves obtaining the Gate Key from Darkford which opens the Southern Gate. Darkford is only accessible if you talk to Father Michael in Aridell and start his quest.

The second involves traveling through Tangletree Ossuary and using the exit at the back which will take you inside the Barrens of Crakamir.

The third involves activating the pentagram hidden in the cottage southeast of Bordertown and using it.
I have entered the Goblin Citadel and an alarm has sounded sealing the inner foyer and the rest of the stronghold. What am I suppose to do?
[+] SPOILER
Head east from the entrance of the inner foyer and enter the room with the powder kegs. Destroy the powder kegs in the north corner to destroy a section of wall to explore the rest of the citadel.
While exploring the Goblin Citadel I have found a chest with a slider lock. What is the number?
[+] SPOILER
The number for the slider lock is 167.

You are given this number as a reward from Gruzz if you are friendly to him.
I have found a pressure plate in the Goblin Citadel that when stepped on results in a portcullis crushing me. How do I get past?
[+] SPOILER
On the other side of the portcullis is a wooden lever. You need to hit the wooden lever with something ranged to disable the portcullis.
After passing the dangerous pressure plate and the portcullis in the Goblin Citadel I have found an entrance to the back of the inner foyer but it is sealed. How do I reach the inner foyer?
[+] SPOILER
Use the wooden lever next to the corpse northwest from the closed portcullis. The coordinates for the wooden lever are X=14 and Y=108.
Before I can ascend the Goblin Citadel I need to find four coloured Goblin Keys. Where can I find the four keys?
[+] SPOILER
The Blue Goblin Key can be found in the Maintenance Level underneath Grimmhold. This item is in possession of a Goblin Warlord. Make your way to the west side of Grimmhold and use the ladders next to the graveyard at coordinates X=19 and Y=132. Head east to find the Goblin Warlord.

The Gold Goblin Key can be found in Vela. This item is in possession of a Goblin Warlord on the north side of Vela. Make your way to the light fixture in the middle of Vela and destroy the barrel blocking the space between the two buildings to reach the Goblin Warlord.

The Green Goblin Key can be found on the third level of Shadowmirk inside Erubor's chamber in a chest.

The Red Goblin Key can be found in the Timberland Giant village in the Barrens of Crakamir. This item is inside a chest next to Omar who will give you the key after you perform a quest for him and his tribe but only if Erubor has sent you.
How many ways can I complete Eschalon: Book I?
[+] SPOILER
There are three endings. The first has the player return the Crux of Ages to Bastion Spire and having a conversation with Chancellor Malcolm. The second sees the player accept a deal from Gramuk which requires you to surrender the Crux of Ages to him. The third happens when the player murders Chancellor Malcolm and the Spire Guards that come after you.
Last edited by Prismatic Maelstrom on November 23rd, 2014, 6:06 pm, edited 303 times in total.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Please do not post in this thread

If you have any comments or suggestions about this topic then please private message me instead.