Exception_Access_Violation - On Starting Game

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book III
Corlain
Apprentice

Exception_Access_Violation - On Starting Game

Post by Corlain »

I started the game for the first time, went to play it, now when I try to start the game again I get a box that pops up titled "WINDOWS EXCEPTION" saying "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" every time after I click "Begin Game" from the launcher. What gives? I can't play the game at all.

It's odd, nothing is showing up in my Event Viewer as a crash of any kind...
DrunkenPubgoer
Pledge

Re: Exception_Access_Violation - On Starting Game

Post by DrunkenPubgoer »

Corlain,

To get the game to run on my computer I had to exit both Ad-Aware and MalwareBytes. After I did that once, then the game will start even with the security stuff still running.

Hope this helps.

DrunkenPubgoer
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Thanks for the tip, but I'd already disabled my antivirus/firewall/security software, no dice.
ikbenrichard
Initiate

Post by ikbenrichard »

hi,

I am getting the same error message.
Tried windowed mode and different sound modes.
Only be able to play the game once and since not able to get it started.

Bought it via the website of basilisk (the day of the server crash, linked by facebook)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Definitely, the #1 culprit is that overzealous malware software prevents it from running because we're a small, unknown company. Just make sure all your malware software is either off, or you have manually approved Eschalon to run.

The #2 culprit is that your local Windows security settings are preventing the game from running. Eschalon needs to create saved-game folders on your system, and if it can't do that, it will crash. Try running the game as Administrator. Did you change saved-game locations in the .cfg file? Eschalon might not be able to write to that location.

The #3 culprit is bad audio or video drivers. We've seen how bad OpenAL drivers can crash the system upon starting. Uninstalling OpenAL often fixes this. Always make sure your Graphic and Sound drivers are up-to-date.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ikbenrichard
Initiate

Post by ikbenrichard »

Thank you for the advice.

Got it working with the following step:
// Alternate Saved Game path: If the default Saved Games path that the system creates doesn't work for you,
// enter an alternate saved game path for the system to use. An example of a using this configuration statement
// might look like this: savedgamepath=d:/games/book3saves/
// YOU WILL NEED TO MANUALLY CREATE the new Saved Games folder before the system can use it.
// Leave this at "default" to force the system to use the default Saved Games directory. Look in
// the User's Manual to see the defaut saved game paths for your operating system.

// WARNING: Incorrect use of this command may have serious negative effects on your system! FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY!

What i did is savedgamepath=S:/book3saves/ (in the general.cfg file)
PS . Running as admin didnt work by the way.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

I've tried the above suggestions, but to no avail. I've tried changing the save game path to a few different locations with the same error appearing.
Mats01
Pledge

Post by Mats01 »

Possible solution:
edit your eb3.cfg, at the top of the file, there's some comment like "; bla bla bla.."
change the ";" to "//"
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

Mats01 wrote:Possible solution:
edit your eb3.cfg, at the top of the file, there's some comment like "; bla bla bla.."
change the ";" to "//"
Huh. I wonder if it could be that simple. I'll give it a shot.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

As a follow-up for this, playing the demo, it has something to do with the sound configuration. I can change any settings on the launcher, EXCEPT the sound options and the demo works fine. However, if I change the audio settings to anything but DirectSound or Null, the game will throw an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION and not allow me to continue. Even if I try to change it to DirectSound or Null after changing it to another sound option that causes the error it keeps throwing EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION since apparently the options in the CFG file won't update until the Launcher actually completes the launch of the game.

This is definitely a bug in the game, not my system, because changing the sound driver to any of the options in Book II does not trigger this error. This is something specific to Book III.
Corlain
Apprentice

Post by Corlain »

The lack of support on this topic makes me really, really glad I was able to get a refund for my purchase of Book III.

Without being able to change to something other than DirectSound (since DirectSound, as it's implemented by this game, produces nothing but bleeps, bloops, and static through my speakers) this game is essentially unplayable on my system.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Corlain wrote: This is definitely a bug in the game, not my system, because changing the sound driver to any of the options in Book II does not trigger this error. This is something specific to Book III.
To be fair, that logic works both ways - if Book III with DirectSound works on other computers than yours, doesn't that mean there's a problem with your computer?
The lack of support on this topic makes me really, really glad I was able to get a refund for my purchase of Book III.
I'm sorry no one here has volunteered any further suggestions. Most of the support here is provided by the community, since Basilisk Games is one guy and unfortunately doesn't have the resources to devote to tracking down every issue that's only being reported by one person.
ikbenrichard
Initiate

Post by ikbenrichard »

Didnt play for a few days after i got it finally working again. So now after a few days i thought mmm let check this game and guess what. it doenst work again.
Getting the acces violation error again.

|Tried all options even the option i tried once before (see post 3 orso).

pls help wrangler/
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

ikbenrichard wrote:Didnt play for a few days after i got it finally working again. So now after a few days i thought mmm let check this game and guess what. it doenst work again.
Getting the acces violation error again.

|Tried all options even the option i tried once before (see post 3 orso).

pls help wrangler/
When people come across critical 'bugs' like this, your best bet is not the forums, but to either PM or E-mail (support __AT__ basiliskgames --dot-- com) BasiliskWrangler directly - be sure to include exactly everything you've tried to do to fix it, in whatever message you do send to BW.

It is probably not realistic to expect fast response for critical bugs like this from the forums...
ikbenrichard
Initiate

Post by ikbenrichard »

IJBall wrote:
When people come across critical 'bugs' like this, your best bet is not the forums, but to either PM or E-mail (support __AT__ basiliskgames --dot-- com) BasiliskWrangler directly - be sure to include exactly everything you've tried to do to fix it, in whatever message you do send to BW.

It is probably not realistic to expect fast response for critical bugs like this from the forums...
True, but since more people have this problem i tried it also this way. So all those people can get a solution from here.

Thank you for the advice though ! 8)