Moonrise Underground map bug/missing beholder

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book III
dreamaloud
Initiate

Moonrise Underground map bug/missing beholder

Post by dreamaloud »

My first play through of book 3 was with a fighter who has no way of entering the Gildedmoon Repository because the beholder NPC who grants you access was never in his cage. I tried reloading older saves and everytime I get the same missing NPC and strange mapping bug. I can map correctly but as you can see in the screenshot below the map is obviously not behaving as intended. I have had this map bug with other characters in book 3 and even book 2 but never this missing NPC. Thoughts?

xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Moonrise Underground map bug/missing beholder

Post by xolotl »

That's rather strange... Did you maybe run out of disk space at some point? The maps for the savegames are split up into three files: The map itself, the entities (NPCs, enemies) on the map, and the minimap thing.

The minimap corruption that you're seeing happens when the minimap graphic isn't found in the save folder. And if you were missing the "entities" file as well, that could explain the absence of Baelgor. Something was preventing you from writing into your savegame dir, I'd guess that a diskspace issue might be the most likely culprit.

If your drive looks fine now, you should be able to go into your save slot and delete moonrise_underground.* to reset that map back from the "global" map files.
dreamaloud
Initiate

Post by dreamaloud »

Thanks for responding! I am not even close to running out of disk space but I was going to try replacing the files and seeing what happened. Thanks for the help I'll try it out.
dreamaloud
Initiate

Post by dreamaloud »

Update: Removing the map file and reloading the save worked for the map bug since it resets the map, and I noticed that the .ent file was 0k so I replaced it with a 1k version from a save with working entities and the beholder is back! Awesome, thanks again.