Minor Bugs - Report #1

MacOS support forum for Eschalon: Book III
IJBall
Major
Major

Minor Bugs - Report #1

Post by IJBall »

Just gave Book III a whirl for about 15-20 minutes. Two things immediately jumped out at me:

1) I am still seeing the "keystrokes sticking" issue that appeared with v1.05 of Book II - e.g. typing names of 'Save Files' is very difficult; hitting ESC from camping brings up the Game Menu (e.g. the one that can take you back to the Main Menu) about half the time; etc. So whatever 'bug' was introduced with v1.05 of Book II is still present.

2) I'm still hearing a 'corrupted' combat sound, I think. Now I seem to be the only one who ever reports this issue, so maybe this one is something specific to just my system.

Oh, and I am still using Mac OS 10.6.8, and can report no problems so far.
So whole 10.6.8 may not be "officially supported" by BG, Book III is definitely still playable. :mrgreen:
Last edited by IJBall on February 14th, 2014, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Minor Bugs - Report #1

Post by Randomizer »

1) Keystroke sticking problem - I thought that was due to my wireless keyboard since I have it to a lesser extent with other programs.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:1) Keystroke sticking problem - I thought that was due to my wireless keyboard since I have it to a lesser extent with other programs.
Don't have one of those on my end (I use a laptop).

And I think at least one other person (Kreador?...) reporting having this issue with Book II as well. So I think this one's not just me having a problem!... :wink:

But this issue definitely didn't exist before v1.05 of Book II, so I think one of the "bug fixes" instituted in v1.05 of Book II created this new 'bug'...
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

Just an FYI, yep, same issue here, keypad not recognized, pressing almost each key 3 or more times before it's recognized, OS X 10.6.8 also. But also, game freezes whenever it rains (in the game, smartie, NOT outside in real time!!) and my character is moving. OR in the middle of battle - FRUSTRATION! Any suggestions/teachings to a newbie on what I can do to get into the game's guts to change how much RAM etc. is allotted to EIII to make it run better, smoother, faster and at millions of colors not thousands? Also, cannot save more than three games or again, it crashes so I am always getting into saved files, removing to other place and restarting.
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I would really like to figure this one out. I have three Macs - an old PowerPC Mac (used for Book 1 & 2), a Mac Book Pro, and a brand new iMac. None of them experience this problem.

Clearly, this is not a problem with every Mac, but only a handful.

Quite simply, I cannot fix what I can't see. I need to know what is unique about the computers that experience this problem versus the ones I use here in the studio. It may never be a problem that I could fix in code, but rather some kind of setting that needs to be adjusted on your Mac(s).
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I would really like to figure this one out. I have three Macs - an old PowerPC Mac (used for Book 1 & 2), a Mac Book Pro, and a brand new iMac. None of them experience this problem.

Clearly, this is not a problem with every Mac, but only a handful.

Quite simply, I cannot fix what I can't see. I need to know what is unique about the computers that experience this problem versus the ones I use here in the studio. It may never be a problem that I could fix in code, but rather some kind of setting that needs to be adjusted on your Mac(s).
Are any of yours still running 10.6.8, Thomas? I use a 24" iMac circa 2007. Actually, I'm running 10.7.5 now. I still experience the menu opening when pressing escape to leave camping. I do also occasionally have an issue with letters not appearing when I type them in save boxes and such, but I think in my case that's my keyboard as it's specific letters and numbers and it does that in all sorts of programs. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
lilwoofer
Senior Steward

Post by lilwoofer »

Hmmm, maybe it is the model of keyboard. But I cannot see that small type anymore even with my new reading glasses -getting older is getting old - so cannot tell you the type of keyboard I use. It's the thin, maybe 3/8" brushed metal with white keys. Anyway, that was not what I am writing about any more. I also note when I play my game that artifacts glimmer on the screen, indiscriminately. Like the rendering is being recalculated and I see flashes of images, but so fast I cannot tell what it might be. Not just on the playing screen but in the map area too.
I will stay an initiate, please,let the officers, lieutenants, etc. do the brain work, I will be the grunt! GRRRR-Unt!