My Old Mod Idea

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

My Old Mod Idea

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

I hope I can explain this properly and generate a little discussion.

Imagine a mod where your character starts in a village or town and you do "quests" that you find on noticeboards. Instead of travelling to a particular location, you are taken there until the completion of that quest. When you return to the village or town, the noticeboards have been updated with new quests and you can no longer do the other quests. This is done to increase replayability and to show the passage of time.

A mod like this would have benefits like cutting back on the filler but negatives like not being able to use the Portal spell. Would this work and be fun? And also, does anyone know of a game that plays like the above?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: My Old Mod Idea

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Interesting. Certainly there are "Job Boards" in other games, but the idea that selecting the job transports you to another area and you can't return until that quest is finished is rather cool, though it could be limiting. It's not open like most quest games where you can pick up dozens of quests and just complete them as you go along.

I'd have to play a game like that to see how it feels, but it certainly could be interesting.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yeah, it seems like it would be interesting. It should be possible to implement even with the limited mod support available in Book III, too.

I feel like there are occasional quests like this in some games - the original Fallouts come to mind - but I don't feel like it's a super common mechanic. The games that do offer it usually have a way to back out, too, though at the cost of failing the quest and not being able to do it again.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

As I remember to trade with a merchant you have to initiate dialogue. Clicking the appropriate response opens the merchant window and leaving this window resumes dialogue. I believe you could use a script to miss the beginning dialogue but is there a way to cut the dialogue out completely?
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yeah, the dialog calls init_trade, but you could call it directly on your own without having a dialog running. And I haven't tested personally, but probably xolotl's proviso about the NPC needing to be nearby and be an actual merchant is correct.