Book III Character and Map Editor

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by SpottedShroom »

WARNING: The current Windows/Mac builds of the editor have a serious bug! New maps created with them will not load correctly in Book III. The bug is fixed in the github source and new builds are coming soon. If you already have maps you made with the previous versions, let me know and I can tell you how to fix them.

I've updated xolotl's Book I and II editor to also work with Book III. With it you can change nearly anything about your character, modify maps, and even create your own maps from scratch. Remember that Basilisk Games does not support this editor, however! If it breaks your game, makes your computer explode, or steals your car, it's not their problem. Also, please back up your games before editing them!

Get it from http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

Be sure to check out scripting notes at http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/b3scripting.php

And here is the Book II thread about the editor: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3856
Last edited by SpottedShroom on March 12th, 2014, 10:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by raverdave2k »

Awesome work, now I might be able to work out were the last 5 or 6 secret placed are already spotted how to get the chest in the witches lair at last thanks to this :)

Going to try and refrain from trying an proper editing through until the proper tools are out.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

Thanks. I will give it a try. I've played around with the editor on Book II, and it seems easy to use. Since Book III is somewhat lacking in side dungeons, maybe I'll try to create a modest one and see how it works out.
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

Just tried loading a Book III character; got this error: "unpack requires a string argument of length 4".
Thynar
Apprentice

Post by Thynar »

Thanks! This is awesome!
Stardragon
Initiate

Post by Stardragon »

I'm having a dumb night. Note to self: thinking helps.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Stardragon wrote:I'm having a dumb night. Note to self: thinking helps.
So did you solve your problem? I'm able to open your character file no problem.
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

I have started creating a mod, and it is generally working out. However, when I add new monsters and save the map, the program crashes when I try to load it again. Considering that the game hasn't been out very long, and there hasn't been much time to work on the editor, I wouldn't expect everything to be working at this stage, but it is certainly good enough to get started. (To get around the monster problem, I have been creating objects that spawn monsters instead. For what I am doing, this has turned out to be a better way to go; it adds an element of surprise.)

I am adding an abandoned alchemist's tower to the Moonrise map. It is accessible from Moonrise after solving some simple puzzles. So far, the modifications to the Moonrise map, including access to the new area and the ground floor of the tower, are done and tested. I have set up maps, staircases, and the outlines of rooms for the upper levels, and I have created a map for the cellar, which will be a bit bigger than the ground floor and upper levels. This will be a small side dungeon with some decent loot, but it will of course have traps, monsters, and a few unique hazards. One purpose for this addition will be to partially alleviate the scarcity of reagents; a good many will be scattered throughout the tower. Also, there will be a number of unique items, but given that the tower's former occupant was mad, many of these items will be utterly useless or even dangerous.

When I have completed it, which should only take another day or two, I'll find a place to post it. When the official development tools become available, I should be able to improve this mod. Depending on the available features, I could add unique monsters, an NPC or two (the alchemist's ghost might be a good choice), or a complete side quest.

The only existing map I am modifying is Moonrise, so this mod should be compatible with others that people create for different areas.

If this one works out, maybe I'll make a few other small mods like it.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Hey - I've been absent from the forums for quite awhile, but wanted to pop in and say thanks for updating the utilities to work with Book III. (Also: hi, didn't realize it was you until I popped in here - who uses real names, anyway?)

After an eight-month delay from SpottedShroom's first pull request, I have been finally merging in the pull requests into the "master" repo, so Book III support is available in the mainline github page. You'll be better served for now by sticking with SpottedShroom's downloads, though, since I'll be mostly AFK for the next week or two. Book III arrived at an extremely busy time for me, and the earliest I'll be able to put out an "official" release, with the new Book III support, will probably be the first week of March. Once I actually find the time to play through Book 3 myself, I'll be in a better position to offer my own continued input on the project, though SpottedShroom seems to be doing a fantastic job without me. :)

I could look into what it'd take to get you access to the actual project webpage itself as well (and to the sourceforge project page where the binary downloads have historically been posted)... I'd been wanting to at least get the website into a github project, and getting you access to the server shouldn't be problematic either. If you're still feeling invigorated by the project when I get back, I could get that ball rolling.

So anyway: many thanks! I really appreciate it. This is why I love FOSS software, so that projects like mine don't die out just because the original maintainer doesn't have the time or whatever to keep things updated when awesome new RPGs are released.
vegeta897
Pledge

Post by vegeta897 »

Book 3 map editor isn't working for me.

I'm on Windows 7, and ran the installer. When I try to run eschalon_b3_map.exe a cmd window pops up for an instant and goes away. It says something about not being able to find a file within library.zip.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Edit: Here is the cmd window:

Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Linux. Has anyone else been having the following error when running the Book 2 map editor?

"Graphics could not be initialized: global name 'newfilename' is not defined"
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

vegeta897 wrote:Book 3 map editor isn't working for me.

I'm on Windows 7, and ran the installer. When I try to run eschalon_b3_map.exe a cmd window pops up for an instant and goes away. It says something about not being able to find a file within library.zip.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Edit: Here is the cmd window:

Sorry, I think this was a botched build. Please try the link again.
devinv
Apprentice

Post by devinv »

i get the same error message running win7, i downloaded this build just a minute ago.
error.jpg
error.jpg (47.43 KiB) Viewed 26458 times
Last edited by devinv on February 21st, 2014, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Sslaxx wrote:Linux. Has anyone else been having the following error when running the Book 2 map editor?

I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I have an idea. I just committed a fix on github. Could you try again?
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Sslaxx wrote:Linux. Has anyone else been having the following error when running the Book 2 map editor?

I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I have an idea. I just committed a fix on github. Could you try again?
The fixed version now gives "Graphics could not be initialized: 'Could not open datapak!'" Guess it should be asking me for the location of Book 2, but it isn't. Manually adding the location works.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.