Book III Character and Map Editor

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1361
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by SpottedShroom » March 11th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Oldhunter wrote:Anybody having trouble with the character editor? Like once you save and then go to close the application it says "You have unsaved game files. Do you want to save?" If you click YES, the whole thing then closes and you can't open the saved game. Is it my Windows Vista or maybe my aggresive Norton that doesn't like trainers or character editors?
I haven't heard about that particular problem. I know one other person was having trouble getting it to run on Vista at all, but I've had no trouble so far. So you're able to save, but then Book III won't open the game? Is the char file zero length?

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1361
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by SpottedShroom » March 11th, 2014, 8:03 pm

MyGameCompany wrote:I found another object type that is missing: #23, for the red ceramic pots that can only be opened by blowing them up.
Fixed on github. I'll build new Windows / OS X releases soon.

TraffordWarren
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by TraffordWarren » March 11th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Hi all! I have a question re: the Character Editor. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to computer stuff, but I have used the editor for Eschalon II. I have downloaded and installed the latest one but I am getting an "extra data at end of file" error message. I am using Windows 7 and have found where the saved games are and what slot I need. The editor shows only "Book 1 Character Editor", "Book 1 Map Editor", Book 2 Character Editor", and lastly, "Book 2 Map Editor". I am attempting to use the Book 2 Char Editor and having no luck. Any suggestions?!

Thanks for any help!

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by xolotl » March 11th, 2014, 9:53 pm

TraffordWarren wrote:Hi all! I have a question re: the Character Editor. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to computer stuff, but I have used the editor for Eschalon II. I have downloaded and installed the latest one but I am getting an "extra data at end of file" error message. I am using Windows 7 and have found where the saved games are and what slot I need. The editor shows only "Book 1 Character Editor", "Book 1 Map Editor", Book 2 Character Editor", and lastly, "Book 2 Map Editor". I am attempting to use the Book 2 Char Editor and having no luck. Any suggestions?!
The current "official" release (0.8.1) only supports up to Book 2 - the releases marked "Unofficial" on the site at the moment support Book 3, and an official version that supports Book 3 should be out sometime this week (it'll be labeled 1.0.0).

TraffordWarren
Pledge
Posts: 2
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by TraffordWarren » March 11th, 2014, 10:12 pm

Thanks xolotl! So I am not going crazy, just not reading the whole story! I will wait until it comes out.

Thanks again.

User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1684
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 11:07 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by IJBall » March 12th, 2014, 4:48 pm

SpottedShroom wrote:FYI, I've just written (and xolotl has posted) a guide to Book III scripting.

http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/b3scripting.php
Question: In perusing the list of commands linked to at the page above, I'm not seeing an obvious one that reduces the Hunger Bar or the Thirst Bar - Is that correct? Is there no script command that can lower the Hunger or Thirst bars?...

(If so, that is disappointing, as it will kill my idea of using grid-script-triggered "Gremlins" that steal food and make you hungrier... :( It would also kill the idea of a "tainted well" that not only doesn't quench your thirst, but actually makes you thirstier...)

Edit: Or can the "Eat" command be entered with negative values?!...

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by xolotl » March 12th, 2014, 4:56 pm

IJBall wrote:Edit: Or can the "Eat" command be entered with negative values?!...
Heh, I actually did just try that out, because I was curious as well, and it looks like it does not understand negative values. Alas! Seems like a fun idea. BW may be open to the idea of adding extra commands to the engine to support modding, though.

User avatar
IJBall
Major
Major
Posts: 1684
Joined: August 31st, 2008, 11:07 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by IJBall » March 12th, 2014, 4:59 pm

xolotl wrote:
IJBall wrote:Edit: Or can the "Eat" command be entered with negative values?!...
Heh, I actually did just try that out, because I was curious as well, and it looks like it does not understand negative values. Alas! Seems like a fun idea. BW may be open to the idea of adding extra commands to the engine to support modding, though.
Yeah, can you and SS run this up the food-chain to BW?

I think having a Command that can (or reworking the "Eat" Command for negative values so that it can) reduce the Hunger and Thirst Bars definitely opens up some fun (Modding) possibilities... Thanks! :mrgreen:

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1361
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by SpottedShroom » March 12th, 2014, 10:55 pm

WARNING: The current Windows/Mac builds of the editor have a serious bug! New maps created with them will not load correctly in Book III. The bug is fixed in the github source and new builds are coming soon. If you already have maps you made with the previous versions, let me know and I can tell you how to fix them.

mph66
Apprentice
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2nd, 2010, 8:05 am

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by mph66 » March 16th, 2014, 8:07 pm

I'm trying to run the Eschalon3Utils. I've downloaded the Mac version, installed every bloody thing on that page, followed instructions, installed via command line. Then, I installed X11. I already have XCode. But every time I fire up the Utils, it crashes X11. Any clues?

-mph

User avatar
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate
Posts: 1361
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by SpottedShroom » March 16th, 2014, 9:32 pm

mph66 wrote:I'm trying to run the Eschalon3Utils. I've downloaded the Mac version, installed every bloody thing on that page, followed instructions, installed via command line. Then, I installed X11. I already have XCode. But every time I fire up the Utils, it crashes X11. Any clues?
-mph
Wait, it crashes the X11 app?! Like, not the program crashes, but X11 itself crashes? Wow.

Okay, so you're running the version from github, right, not the packaged app? Is there any output in Terminal after it crashes? Also, what version of OS X are you running?

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by xolotl » March 19th, 2014, 3:57 pm

FYI - If you're working on any mods at the moment (or even creating some custom items for yourself), you might want to go through and make sure that your custom items have a quantity set to "1" instead of "0" in the editor. It turns out that some weird things can happen if it's set to zero, even if the item's set to not be stackable. Nothing ordinarily game-breaking, though you can end up inadvertantly duplicating the item by right-clicking, and you won't be able to actually sell them to merchants, etc.

Hopefully by tonight I'll have some changes in place for the editor which has that value default to 1 instead of 0.

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by raverdave2k » March 19th, 2014, 4:25 pm

I thought I'd have a crack this evening at compiling the editors from the latest course code and noticed something, the editor (for me at least) has always looked like this:
Built.JPG
Built.JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
After getting python and all the necessary extras setup on my windows machine I tried running it directly from the source code and it looked like the screen shot below which I prefer as it looks a lot cleaner, however after building the exe's from this code and running those it again looked like the first picture.

Not being to clued up on Python / GTK etc I have no idea why, is it possible for me to compile to exe but maintain the more modern look?
Source.JPG
Source.JPG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

User avatar
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Posts: 506
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 6:56 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by MyGameCompany » March 19th, 2014, 7:37 pm

xolotl wrote:FYI - If you're working on any mods at the moment (or even creating some custom items for yourself), you might want to go through and make sure that your custom items have a quantity set to "1" instead of "0" in the editor. It turns out that some weird things can happen if it's set to zero, even if the item's set to not be stackable. Nothing ordinarily game-breaking, though you can end up inadvertantly duplicating the item by right-clicking, and you won't be able to actually sell them to merchants, etc.

Hopefully by tonight I'll have some changes in place for the editor which has that value default to 1 instead of 0.
Good to know! Was planning to start work on a small mod for West Mirkland this weekend.

Any chance we can get a new Windows build with all the fixes you guys have been making?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Book III Character and Map Editor

Post by xolotl » March 20th, 2014, 2:00 pm

raverdave2k wrote:Not being to clued up on Python / GTK etc I have no idea why, is it possible for me to compile to exe but maintain the more modern look?
The compilation process involves "freezing" a bunch of components into a static bundle which can then be distributed without the end-user having to install anything else manually (like Python or GTK, etc). So it takes bits and pieces from your filesystem, lumps them into one place, and makes sure that it's all self-contained and doesn't try to reference any other external dependencies (which would be unlikely to be present on an end-user's system).

If I had to guess, what's probably happening is that you've got a "better" GTK theme available on your system as a whole, but the freezing process isn't copying that in along with everything else. I'd think that it'd be possible to get that stuff included, but I'd have to take a look to figure out what would be required there.
MyGameCompany wrote:Any chance we can get a new Windows build with all the fixes you guys have been making?
Our release plans got pushed back a little bit by a couple bugs we discovered, and then by the release of some of the official loading code from BW, so we've been embarking on a process to rename and reclassify things to match. That process should be just about finished (I pushed out the last huge set for that last night). Then we've got a few more bugs to track down, and some more testing, and we should be able to get a 1.0.0 release out the door finally. I'd hope to get that out within a week or so, though that's what I said last time, too. :)

SpottedShroom's been the one providing the "unofficial" builds in the meantime, perhaps he'll be sufficienly motivated to update that too, sometime prior to the official release.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest