Eschalon: Book III MODS: Text Files

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Eschalon: Book III MODS: Text Files

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Everyone- this is step one for modding. There will be more releases in the coming weeks.

Below is a link to all the text files used in Book 3. I have put these up because I am getting a lot of requests for language translations. If you want to translate Book 3 into your native language, here's where you start.

A few rules:

- DO NOT add any extra page breaks or carriage returns into the text. Yes, you can extend or shorten blocks of text when translating, but you will break the game if you add additional carriage returns.

- DO NOT translate any of the script code. Script code may look like:
<blue> A keyword inside angle brackets.
give_item (Erubor's Letter) A series of keywords with other keywords inside parenthesis.

- DO NOT look at these text files unless you want to have the storyline revealed to you.

If you manage to translate all of the game, send the files back to us and we'll post your "language pack" online. Please note that this will only translate the external text of the game, not the internally generated messages or graphic files (such as signs or some menus). We will address these other translations later as we prepare the game for more generalized modification. However, the majority of the "important" text (quests, dialogs, books and skill/magick descriptions) are right here in these text files, so translating these will make the game fully playable by non-English speaking people of your region.

http://basiliskgames.com/files/eb3_text_files_100.zip
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SharpXe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Eschalon: Book III MODS: Text Files

Post by SharpXe »

is list of all keywords exists somewhere, i can assemble notepad++ module to make things more simple to edit (like marking keywords red)?
Dmitro
Pledge

Post by Dmitro »

Hi
My name Dmitriy
I am native Russian speaker
I want to translate the game text in Russian

Tell me, which password you used to archive the game datapak?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Dmitro wrote:Hi
My name Dmitriy

Hi, Dmitriy. It's great you want to translate the game! You should find everything you need in the zip file posted above - it's a subset of what's in the datapak, but it's everything text-heavy. BW can't give out the password for the datapak itself - he has limited rights to some of the game content and needs to protect it from unauthorized use.
Dmitro
Pledge

Post by Dmitro »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Dmitro wrote:Hi
My name Dmitriy

Hi, Dmitriy. It's great you want to translate the game! You should find everything you need in the zip file posted above - it's a subset of what's in the datapak, but it's everything text-heavy. BW can't give out the password for the datapak itself - he has limited rights to some of the game content and needs to protect it from unauthorized use.
Thank you
Will translate
zbonek0
Pledge

Post by zbonek0 »

BW как всегда пиздит, т.е. лукавит.

У BW были шрифты для русского языка? Были! По секрету скажу что они отлично подходят к 3-ей книге.
BW что-нибудь сделал для локализации? НЕТ. И не будет делать.
Он как житель восточного побережья видно считает, что те кто не знают английский - нелюди, типа упыри и вурдалаки из страшных историй про супергероев Америки.

BW, тексты уже давно переведены. Шрифты в exe встроены. Но ты же опять будешь орать со своими жополизами - не трогайте код, не имеете права!!! А по другому и не перевести. Жаль что ты это не учитываешь.

Спасибо за отличную игру.
Позор на твое отношение к неанглоязычным пользователям.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

BW, тексты уже давно переведены. Шрифты в exe встроены. Но ты же опять будешь орать со своими жополизами - не трогайте код, не имеете права!!! А по другому и не перевести. Жаль что ты это не учитываешь.
There is an internal font that can handle non-English characters. Change the language in the .cfg file to anything but "english", and the system will use the alternate font.

As soon as you present translated text files to us, we will help you translate the internal text and graphics as well.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:As soon as you present translated text files to us, we will help you translate the internal text and graphics as well.
No! Do not give in to this demon's demands! 'Till your final breath Thomas, do not let zbonek translate your games!
It's not zbonek. We've had other Russians ask us, and they seem to be following the rules.

Also, we're not just giving away source code. We'll give translators a list of all the text, and let them translate it, then the game can link to the external files.
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

And what is your attitude towards translating Names, like Tangletree, which has obviously something to do with trees that are tangled, tangled roots, etc.
Thaermore that was not derivieated from nouns,adjectives obviously should not be translated. But other terms, like mentioned Tangletree, Ossuary, would sound better, more convincing, if translated.

And other thing are specific chars, like used in french, spanish, polish, german, scandinavian languages.
Is there a good way of providing coding for those several charts, because most are basically the same, but there are several "extras", hooks, nooks, bars and accent marks.
Or should we rather "flatten" and replace chars.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

severian wrote:And what is your attitude towards translating Names, like Tangletree, which has obviously something to do with trees that are tangled, tangled roots, etc.
Thaermore that was not derivieated from nouns,adjectives obviously should not be translated. But other terms, like mentioned Tangletree, Ossuary, would sound better, more convincing, if translated.

And other thing are specific chars, like used in french, spanish, polish, german, scandinavian languages.
Is there a good way of providing coding for those several charts, because most are basically the same, but there are several "extras", hooks, nooks, bars and accent marks.
Or should we rather "flatten" and replace chars.
You should do what you think is best for the language YOU are translating too. If you get something wrong, I'm sure others will correct it.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I made a funny and all I got was a serious response. :(
The problem of dry humor, PM. It generally works better with a stiff drink. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

BW, any chance you provide a bit of an explanation as to the layout of these files and how one block of text is linked to the next? Would be very useful when looking to create new NPC's down the line.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
madeba
Initiate

Post by madeba »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Anyone got back to you about nearing completion of a translation? Or is it fair to assume that once again you've been let down by people?
Well, don't forget the second episode has been translated in french. :wink:
The translation for book III is well advanced, and should be out soon. Another guy (targus) is helping me this time.

Just one question : we have a problem with one file : "magick_descriptions.txt". Everything has been translated, but the game still uses the english version of the text.
Does anyone know if this behaviour is normal ?