Book III Mod: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
munster
Senior Steward

Re: Book III Mod: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine

Post by munster »

All I have to say for the new mod is WOW :D

Enjoying it immensely, even though I managed to get myself killed by a Brimstone Spider. Plenty to explore, lots to find, all manner of hidden passages neatly tucked away - this is excellent and I am very grateful for the hard work.

Now to get back, load that save, and zap those spiders :wink:
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Thank you, munster! I appreciate that you took the time to log in and post that. You made my day!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I'm going to have to do this again with Reveal Map and Cat's Eyes since I'm sure I missed some minor things. I keep spotting hidden things and I found a chest for thieves. :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Yeah, I used a lot of different ways to hide stuff. :wink:
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Extremely well done! Just finished playing it with my Ranger, and I had a really great time. The little flourishes here and there were exquisite, like the suggestion of a hill over here:
[+] SPOILER
rockhammer_hill.png
rockhammer_hill.png (162.53 KiB) Viewed 18223 times
So yeah, thanks for the mod!

Two small issues I did notice, btw:
[+] SPOILER
1)The "Thinking Cap" found in, er, whats-his-name's tomb has a value of zero. Perhaps that's intentional?

2) Also, oddly enough, I can't seem to actually sell those Mithril Orakur weapons at shops. The shopkeeper quotes me a price, and I hit "Okay," but then nothing happens. Rather odd! I wonder if that's a more global problem with custom items or something. I'll have to run some tests tomorrow... A couple of those items have a zero "max condition" (I assume this might make them indestructible?), and I'd assumed that's what did it, but the sword (and one of the others) has a condition of 5000, so that wouldn't be the problem on those. (If the zero-condition thing wasn't intentional, that might be another small bug.)
alastair
Pledge

Rockhammer Mine 3 - suddenly really heavy!

Post by alastair »

Hi there,

First off, thanks for the mod - it's great fun and I'm enjoying it a lot.

But I've come across a weird problem. Having made it pretty far I loaded up my game and have found that my character suddenly has over 6000 pounds of encumberance! I've looked through the inventory and there's nothing particularly heavy. It seems to be a problem when I load the game. I loaded from another, earlier slot and got the same problem.
[+] SPOILER
I've made it into some of the rooms in the lost city and was standing next to the bench with the mythril cog; I'd just picked it up, and also the alchemy ingredients next to it. I was ok at that point and saved. When I reloaded, I was Too Heavy To Move

The previous load was from when I was just about to go lava wading off to the east. Again, I was fine when I saved the game.

I've never seen this in the 'regular' game so I'm wondering if this is somehow down to the mod. I mean, I know I've probably been eating a few too many roach legs (mmmm, roach legs) but I don't think I'd put on that much...

Can anyone help? (can I repair my character??)

cheers,
Alastair
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Rockhammer Mine 3 - suddenly really heavy!

Post by xolotl »

alastair wrote:Can anyone help? (can I repair my character??)
Quite strange, certainly... It's not my mod, but I'd be curious to see the savegame. Could you upload the slot somewhere? I hadn't run into that on my playthrough, but I also don't think I ever loaded the game from a save, so it could be something related to that.

Have you tried dropping all your items one by one to see if there's one in particular which was causing it?
alastair
Pledge

Post by alastair »

xolotl wrote:
alastair wrote:Can anyone help? (can I repair my character??)
Quite strange, certainly... It's not my mod, but I'd be curious to see the savegame. Could you upload the slot somewhere? I hadn't run into that on my playthrough, but I also don't think I ever loaded the game from a save, so it could be something related to that.
You can see it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1q9p5du0n97m ... I/eschalon

(There's a zipped and an unzipped version).

Have you tried dropping all your items one by one to see if there's one in particular which was causing it?
Yes, and although there's nothing that seems heavy, there is something odd with a Rockhammer3 special item:
[+] SPOILER
I can't drop the Orakur hand! When I try to drop it, it stays in my pack. Not only that but if I right-click it it's like a copy action:

1. Right-click the orakur hand - it seems to be picked up.
2. Click on another space in your pack
3. You now have an extra hand in your pack

So in fact I now have three orakur hands in my pack... I wonder if this is related?
Thanks for any help!

cheers,
Alastair
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

alastair wrote:Yes, and although there's nothing that seems heavy, there is something odd with a Rockhammer3 special item:
Yeah, the problem was certainly with one of those items:
[+] SPOILER
Part of the data structure for the items tells the engine how many of an item are in a stack (most often seen with food, arrows, and potions). One of the Orakur Hands in your inventory had a "quantity" field of 65535... Even though it wasn't marked as stackable, the engine was still seeing that data and concluding that the item weighed 6,553lbs. That's interesting about the duplication - I'll try and see if I can reproduce the issue later. In any case, here's a fixed version of your "char" file which only has one Orakur Hand, and has it weighing properly: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/misc/fixed-char.zip

On a side note, that's interesting about dropping it. I'll have to check that out as well. I know that after I got out of the mine, I stored mine in a barrel somewhere, so it was possible for me to get it out of my inventory. I hadn't tried dropping it outright, though. Edit: Yeah, the hand is of an item type "Special," which the game won't let you drop, but it will allow you to store it in a container.
Edit: I should perhaps also mention that I don't actually know why/how the quantity of that item got changed to 65535. That's something I couldn't reproduce yet, and it didn't happen on my playthrough. So I'm not sure how that came about, but at least it's something fixable.
Last edited by xolotl on March 19th, 2014, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Aha! Interesting.

So I figured out why the custom items were duplicating like that (you can do the same with other custom items in the mod), and also why I wasn't able to sell some of them to a merchant.

Turns out that that can happen if the "quantity" field on the item is set to zero. Even for non-stackable items, the quantity has to be set to 1 in order for the items to behave properly. I'll put a bug in place to get the editor to use 1 by default instead of zero, in the future. I should be able to get that fixed by tonight.
alastair
Pledge

Post by alastair »

xolotl wrote:Turns out that that can happen if the "quantity" field on the item is set to zero. Even for non-stackable items, the quantity has to be set to 1 in order for the items to behave properly. I'll put a bug in place to get the editor to use 1 by default instead of zero, in the future. I should be able to get that fixed by tonight.
Fantastic, thanks! I've loaded up the fixed character and it's all working great, thanks for your help!

Good thing, too - with my character broken I was forced to do other stuff, like work, tidy up, talk to the wife and kids, sleep, eat... but now I can get back to Rockhammer :-)

cheers,
Alastair
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

xolotl wrote:Extremely well done! Just finished playing it with my Ranger, and I had a really great time. The little flourishes here and there were exquisite, like the suggestion of a hill over here:
[+] SPOILER
rockhammer_hill.png
So yeah, thanks for the mod!
Wow, thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I had fun making it, and put a lot of effort into it. Nice to know all that work was appreciated!
xolotl wrote:Two small issues I did notice, btw:
[+] SPOILER
1)The "Thinking Cap" found in, er, whats-his-name's tomb has a value of zero. Perhaps that's intentional?
Heh, nope! Wasn't intentional. I'll fix it. And I'll fix the other custom items too.
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Rockhammer Mine 3 - suddenly really heavy!

Post by MyGameCompany »

alastair wrote:thanks for the mod - it's great fun and I'm enjoying it a lot.
You're welcome!
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Custom items are fixed. I've just uploaded v1.02.
Troy
DGZeya
Pledge

Post by DGZeya »

Hey, just wanted to say first of all great mod! Been having a lot of fun poking around in all the corners and finding all the stuff hidden in rocks :)

However I'm ashamed to say I've gotten stuck kind of early in...

EDIT- Ok, figured it out. Moving on-- no idea what to do next but I'll get there somehow, haha!