Reading from the /mods folder...

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Reading from the /mods folder...

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

@xolotl: you've said in several places you would want the files to be read from the /mods/maps folder instead of just the /mods folder. I wanted top state my reason for just keeping it in the /mods folder...

Right now, we are just reading .map files and .ent files from this location. Eventually, I would like to have the game read complete mods from isolated folders inside of /mods, so for example:

eschalon_book_3/mods/journey_to_fandugan/
eschalon_book_3/mods/secret_of_rockhammer_mine/
eschalon_book_3/mods/adventure_on_ghost_isle/

Each one of these folders would be a collection of .maps, custom .csv files, unique sounds and graphic tiles, etc.

At the main menu the game will parse the folders inside of /mods and read a file called "mod.info" inside of each subfolder. This "mod.info" file would contain the name of the mod, starting information, author info, etc. After parsing all these folders and collecting the names of the mods, the game could then list them all and the player could launch the Mod from the main menu.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Reading from the /mods folder...

Post by raverdave2k »

Sound like a logical and tidy way of doing things to me, I don't suppose these mod names are a hint at things your working on? :wink:
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:@xolotl: you've said in several places you would want the files to be read from the /mods/maps folder instead of just the /mods folder. I wanted top state my reason for just keeping it in the /mods folder...
Heh, sorry if I've seemed insistent about that - In the end I actually don't really care too much. :) I do like the idea of having eventual separate directories for each mod, certainly! Having a "mod.info" sounds like a pretty great idea too.

I do think that it'd still be a good idea to have individual dirs inside the mod folders, eventually (maps, data, gfx, sound...), but honestly we'll be happy to work with whatever you provide. :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I do think that it'd still be a good idea to have individual dirs inside the mod folders, eventually (maps, data, gfx, sound...), but honestly we'll be happy to work with whatever you provide. :)
That actually sounds like a good idea to me - basically combine your idea with what BW already plans to do.