Quick Travel

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Quick Travel

Post by raverdave2k »

I was wondering if there would possible of allowing mods to incorporate new or replace existing quick travel markers?

If adding new ones obviously there is no spare space on the current list so it would require an update to the GUI to either add scrolling to the list or perhaps have a second right click move on to another page of locations?

It would also then need changes to read the new locations from a file as all the existing ones appear hard coded, I realise this may prove to much work but I thought I would throw it out there.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Quick Travel

Post by MyGameCompany »

I've been wondering that myself... if/when I do get the opportunity to build my Barrea mod, it would be nice to add at least one quick travel marker there.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't think this is possible. Each QT location is tied to a (map name, map coordinates) pair. If you replace a map with a QT location on it, you can achieve a different effect, but the name of the QT location will remain the same.

I would suggest creating QT objects - right-click to transport to a given location. Of course, it would work on maps that don't allow QT...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:I don't think this is possible. Each QT location is tied to a (map name, map coordinates) pair. If you replace a map with a QT location on it, you can achieve a different effect, but the name of the QT location will remain the same.
Eventually it might be possible for ambitious Total Conversion mods to make use of the existing quicktravel links, and if we get access to override arbitrary graphics images, you'd probably be able to rename them (or at least get the graphic text in the quicktravel list itself to read something custom). You'd still be beholden to the (mapname,coordinate) pair, but I bet clever modders could make it work.

Of course, that's a ways down the line. :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

xolotl wrote: Eventually it might be possible for ambitious Total Conversion mods to make use of the existing quicktravel links, and if we get access to override arbitrary graphics images, you'd probably be able to rename them (or at least get the graphic text in the quicktravel list itself to read something custom). You'd still be beholden to the (mapname,coordinate) pair, but I bet clever modders could make it work.
I just looked through the contents of the gfx folder again, and I don't see the Quick Travel destinations list. Or did I just miss it?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:I just looked through the contents of the gfx folder again, and I don't see the Quick Travel destinations list. Or did I just miss it?
Oh! Huh, I didn't doublecheck, and had just assumed that they were in there. You're right - those don't appear to be in the gfx folder. That must be the one instance of UI text not being just embedded in a graphic!