Version 1.021 Readme for Mods

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Version 1.021 Readme for Mods

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Version 1.02 has the ability to run some user made maps, but you'll need to follow some basic instructions to do this.

FOR PLAYERS:
- First, make sure you are running version 1.021 of the game.
- Now, you need to find a usable "mod" for the game. This "Modding" forum is a good place to start.
- The first round of mods require some manipulation of save game files to work. See your Mod's Readme file to find out how to do this.
- As of this version of Book 3, you can also load some custom maps that are placed inside a folder within your installation folder. When you find a mod that supports this feature, you'll need to locate where Escahlon: Book 3 is installed and create a folder called "mods" in there. Then copy the contents of this new Mod into that folder. Read the Mod's "readme" file to see how to access the new maps from within the game (a new game may be required).

FOR MAP MAKERS:
- Download the latest Map Editor from here: [LINK NEEDED]
- Create your maps. Right now, you can attach a map to these points:

- The Rockhammer Pentagram portal (map must be named "rockhammer_port.map"). This should be generally for level 1-3 characters.

- The Omentor Pentagram portal (map must be named "omentor_port.map"). This could be for level 8-12 charcacters.

- The Fandugan path north of Alundar's camp (map must be named "5046.map"). This could be for level 12+ characters.

- The Mirkland West area (map must be named "4952.map"). This could be for level 5-8 characters.
- Once finished, you can test them by following the instruction above For Players.
- Depending on how popular map making/modding becomes, we'll add additional features with each release to further allow for custom adventures, graphics, sounds, NCPS, and more.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Version 1.02 Readme for Mods

Post by MyGameCompany »

Great news! I'm looking forward to the Mac version of 1.02.

I'm assuming the /mods directory expects the new maps to be global map files, rather than save game files, right?

You mention 4 new maps "locations" for mods that we could drop into the new mods folder. Would I be able to modify one of your existing global maps (like to change something or add a building, drop it into the mods directory, and have the game detect and use it? Or would changes to existing maps still need to be made through the save game files?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Version 1.02 Readme for Mods

Post by raverdave2k »

Unless BW's made a last minute change I'm fairly certain on this version the datapak still comes first in the read order so existing maps in the mods folder will be ignored.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Gwendo
Apprentice

Re: Version 1.021 Readme for Mods

Post by Gwendo »

How do we make a new NPC with dialogues/quests, etc?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Gwendo wrote:How do we make a new NPC with dialogues/quests, etc?
Until I add official support, PM is correct- but, you could get creative and add scripts for narratives and simple NPC responses, even with simple Yes/No interaction. When I say "simple", I mean very simple, but still if you are creative and take time to learn all the scrip commands, you could make some neat stuff.
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Until I add official support, PM is correct- but, you could get creative and add scripts for narratives and simple NPC responses, even with simple Yes/No interaction. When I say "simple", I mean very simple, but still if you are creative and take time to learn all the scrip commands, you could make some neat stuff.
Can you give an example of what you're thinking?
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

mbrowne wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Can you give an example of what you're thinking?
Could anyone else give an example of simple narratives and NPC interactions with the current state of the editor? Thanks,
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

For example, if you approached a jail cell you could use a script like This. I didn't actually try this script out, so it may not work perfectly, but it should give you an idea of what I mean.

You can put this as an area event on a map:

msg (The jail cell is dark. From the shadow you hear a voice ask: "Have you brought me an apple?") ; cond_item (Apple) ; condition (You have an apple in your inventory. Toss it into the jail cell?) (Yes) (No) ; remove_item (Apple) ; msg (Thank you! Now that I have my apple, I'll tell you about a treasure I know of...blah blah blah.) ; destroy_script
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

Thanks, BW. Pseudo-NPC conversation :)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:You can put this as an area event on a map:

msg (The jail cell is dark. From the shadow you hear a voice ask: "Have you brought me an apple?") ; cond_item (Apple) ; condition (You have an apple in your inventory. Toss it into the jail cell?) (Yes) (No) ; remove_item (Apple) ; msg (Thank you! Now that I have my apple, I'll tell you about a treasure I know of...blah blah blah.) ; destroy_script
But! But!! We only had apples in Book One!!!!! :cry:

:P :wink:
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

There are apples in Book II.

Not sure about Book III, although I must say I'm highly disappointed if there aren't. :evil: :lol:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

No apples that I've seen in Book III, but we do have plum cots, which may be the best bite of fruit you've ever eaten. ;-)

EDIT: I have discovered that there are Rotted Apples in Book III. Just no fresh ones. Caravan clearly took too long.
Last edited by Kreador Freeaxe on April 26th, 2014, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

When the (semi?)-official tools come out, can we have apples? Pretty please? :mrgreen:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Rotten apples are still in the game?
Apparently. I found one in a barrel in the goblin camp one map south of Macross Point today. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

You can't feed rotten apples to prisoners, unless they're really hungry.