Let's combine the Tower and Dwarven Mines mods into one!

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
timothypfox
Initiate

Let's combine the Tower and Dwarven Mines mods into one!

Post by timothypfox »

Can it be done? It would make for awesome game play!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Let's combine the Tower and Dwarven Mines mods into one!

Post by xolotl »

timothypfox wrote:Can it be done? It would make for awesome game play!
Those mods can actually be installed concurrently with no problems at all. They both touch completely different files, so feel free to just install both in a fresh savegame and have at it. That's actually what I did on my most recent playthough.
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

This is definitely the case; these two mods should be entirely compatible with each other, so they can be installed one after the other in the same savegame directory. After I finish my next update, I plan to play a game with both mods to see how they affect the overall gameplay.

As more people start to make mods, compatibility issues are bound to result as different people want to start fiddling with the same map. Even in these cases, the mods can be made compatible as long as the exact same area of the map isn't modified and the modders (or other people) want to go to the trouble to combine and coordinate their work. Hopefully, all of us will work to make our mods as compatible with each other as possible so that players can install whichever combination they want.

Before long, I plan to make some small mods to create a few small caves, hidden treasures, or other compact areas just to spice things up a bit and provide a little more loot. I'll definitely try to make them compatible with other mods that exist now or appear in the future.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

As a general rule for mod compatibility, if they don't edit the same maps, they are compatible.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

But actually, once there are a couple of mods out there, it is really nice if they are compiled into one.

Ever tried installing mods BG without a guide?

I guess though compilitions invade on the modders rights or something?
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

I don't mind at all if people combine my mods with others, or if they modify my mods. Maybe someone will eventually combine a few mods into a convenient collection. Something like this should only be done after it is certain that the mods are complete and stable, and no new versions will be coming out. When the mods are still new and debugging or tweaking might still be taking place, keeping any collections or combined mods up to date will be a big pain. I know I don't want to worry about keeping collections that include my mod up to date while I'm still debugging and balancing it.

For now, I think it is best to keep mods separate unless they modify the same map. After the official editor comes out, these early mods will almost certainly change once again to take advantage of new features. After that, they will probably go through a final round of debugging, and eventually each one will have its final stable release. At that time, I think it would be a great idea to combine mods into easy-to-install collections, but to do so now would be premature.