An idea...

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
JewelCG
Apprentice

An idea...

Post by JewelCG »

Ok, this is just an idea, but surely I can't be the only one who would like it....

I've already expressed a desire to have a 'house' in Book 3. The only reason I asked for it is because the map editor wouldn't work for me. Haven't tried any of the new builds yet. I created a new place that was mine in Book 2, and that was easy enough.

What I found incredibly frustrating in Book 2 was the suggestion that the char could become a citizen by owning property, but couldn't buy it. There was even a building for sale! So I had to resort to modding in a bed, chest, etc.. into an existing building.

So the idea is this.. to give the char the ability to buy property, and then be able to furnish it. I have no idea if this could be done or not. I am in no way a modder, nor would I have time even if I had the skill.

I've enjoyed Eschalon immensely, especially being in the 'over thirty' crowd. I love the almost pen and paper style of character creation. The one feature that's always been missing for me is the ability to create the char's home. Of course, that's missing in most games. :|
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: An idea...

Post by xolotl »

JewelCG wrote:The only reason I asked for it is because the map editor wouldn't work for me.
Yeah, the "official" builds still don't support Book 3... The "unofficial" ones should, though I'm not sure when SpottedShroom last updated those.

I've been saying this for a couple weeks now, but I do hope to get an official new version out sometime this week. The major things I'd wanted to get in there look like they're in place - I've mostly got a handful of smaller bugs to work through before I'd consider it ready.

At any rate, a player home does sound like a great idea!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

The "own a house" thing has been a common request, so much so that BW included a vacant building in Elderoak Forest that was intended to address this need. Evidently it didn't quite scratch the itch, though.

Can you say a little more about what you're looking for? I can imagine a mod that would let you buy the deed for one or more of the various unoccupied houses in the game (really, since NPCs don't have schedules they're all unoccupied), but what would you want that to get you? A key to a locked door? Your name on a plaque? A bed you can sleep in ala Book II? It might even be possible to let you pay someone to build a house (with a pre-set floor plan) on unoccupied property...
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

It would be nice to be able to purchase a house, but the existing editing tools don't currently support the NPC modifications that would be necessary to implement it. If we could create or modify NPCs, it might not be too difficult to do this. A building could be placed on one of the maps, and it would be locked with an unpickable lock. The NPC would sell the key and might even be able to sell furniture and/or clean junk out of the house. (The furniture objects could be placed in the building and toggled on and off by a script.)

To address the desire for more loot storage space, I have just created a small mod for the Rockhammer map that adds three small dungeons. Two of them are close to the geo marker. The player can clear them out and take them over; there are plenty of chests and barrels available for storage. See my thread on the Small Dungeons - Rockhammer mod for more details.
JewelCG
Apprentice

Post by JewelCG »

I'd be happy with a 'house' in moonrise, or old moonrise with a bed the char could sleep in and plenty of chests for storage. A well right by the door would be cool too. :P Of course, some nice decorations would be sweet too.

I just thought it would have been a pretty awesome thing for BW to have included in it BookII. I thought he had when I found the building for sale, but alas no. And I searched for someone to buy that building from.

The reason that a house would be preferable to the one in Elderoak is that you can use the OT to get to your house.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

JewelCG wrote:The one feature that's always been missing for me is the ability to create the char's home. Of course, that's missing in most games. :|
You'd probably like this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGa6hR4a87U.
JewelCG
Apprentice

Post by JewelCG »

Thanks for the referral KillingMoon. The game looks very interesting. I think though that it's a bit rich for my blood, especially as I don't have a great deal of time to play games. Maybe if I worked a standard 9-5 and had unlimited internet I would be a lot more tempted. However, I drive an 18 wheeler and am limited in the internet department.