Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Post by xolotl »

Eschalon Book III (and Book I and Book II) Character and Map Editor

Homepage: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/
Other Resources: Github | Sourceforge
Latest Release: v1.0.1 April 15, 2014

Windows Installer: eschalon_utils_1_0_1_setup.exe (sig)
Linux/Source .tgz: eschalon_utils-1.0.1.tar.gz (sig)
OSX .dmg: Eschalon Utils 1.0.1.dmg (sig)
Other/Source .zip: eschalon_utils-1.0.1.zip (sig)
Checksums: eschalon_utils-1.0.1-sha256sum.txt.asc

So! At long last, this is the official release of the Eschalon Savefile Editor for Book III editing. As many of you are aware, the Book III support is largely thanks to SpottedShroom's excellent contributions to the project, and he did the bulk of the work to get Book III support in place. Many thanks there!

Notable version 1.0.1 changes:
  • Fixes for OSX support - the graphics hadn't been loading properly for many OSX users
  • Bugfixes and improvements to the "Big Graphic" handling (such as docked ships, etc). Prior versions of the editor hadn't handled those properly
  • The "Open" dialog should show hidden files now, which will allow Windows users in particular to browse into their savegame directories properly without having to hit Ctrl-H
A compressed version of the Changelog for v1.0.0:
  • Book 3 Support
  • Improved Load/Open dialog
  • Various bugfixes
  • Some GUI layout fixes for increased usability (particularly on items)
  • Support for "native" OSX bundling
As usual, please do keep backups of any savegames you're editing, in case undiscovered bugs end up eating data. The unofficial builds had some issues with "new" maps created in the editor from scratch - If you'd used that in the past, you should be able to load it with v1.0.0 and then save it out again. That should take care of the data issues in the file.

This map editor is apparently going to be elevated to an "officially endorsed" state by Basilisk Wrangler, which is awesome news for us. For some information on what's currently supported in Book III in terms of mods, visit this forum post. At the moment, all of the released mods for Book III are of the "savegame" variety, meaning that you start a new game and then put the mod files in the savegame slot you just created. Mods produced using the officially-supported modding methods will use "global" map files stored in a separate "mods" folder. Again, see BW's forum post for more information on that.

Let us know, of course, if you encounter any bugs in the application. Feel free to post them in here, though there's also a more official bugtracker at the project's Github page.

Enjoy!

Known Book III Modifications: (As of May 31, 2014) Related Threads:
Book I Editor Thread
Book II Editor Thread
Last edited by xolotl on May 31st, 2014, 4:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.0 (April 2, 2014)

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

Well, thanks. I guess this os going to be great for some folks, but for the average guy - not so much. As a Mac user, I was expecting something like the free Bk1 Goblin Hacker - a stand alone app (only does Char, not map I know).

I have neither time nor patience to install X1, and run various arcane Terminal scripts, on top of upgrading to the latest version of OSX; perhaps there will be some compelling reason to do the later, but never the former. Not to mention, after all that work, to still have time and interest in making a reasonable, interesting Mod.

Why the official editor cannot be compiled and released as a standalone app is odd when other game makers can (like Combat Mission - my other favorite game), but then I'm not a coder.

I do not mean here to slam all the hard work and time which went into this editor, but rather to express my personal disappointment.

Thanks, Cheers, and good luck in the future,
C
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

GChrisSfish21 wrote:Well, thanks. I guess this os going to be great for some folks, but for the average guy - not so much. As a Mac user, I was expecting something like the free Bk1 Goblin Hacker - a stand alone app (only does Char, not map I know).
As I mentioned above, a "native" OSX packaging format is forthcoming. We had one available as an "unofficial" build for awhile, but that version had some bugs. We'd been hoping to get an updated build ready for the 1.0.0 release, but SpottedShroom's been having difficulty getting it built for the past week or so, and I didn't want to delay the release any longer. Unfortunately the build process is just finicky - from what I understand, building stuff even for native apps can be a trying process. So have heart! Hopefully we'll be able to get it out soon.

(In re: Goblin Hacker specifically - That app benefits from being a wholly native OSX app, so of course it'd exist in an easier-to-build/install format. The downside to Goblin Hacker (apart from the Book-1-Character-Editor-only aspect) is that it only runs on OSX, so Windows and Linux folks'd be SOL. Obviously the pygtk-based tool that we've developed isn't perfect for cross-platform support (see: our current problems building on OSX), but it should do the trick in the end.)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

That's great news! Congrats on the v1.0.0 release - that's a huge accomplishment. My thanks to you guys for all your hard work, and to BW for releasing the source code for the key areas of the game that you needed. I look forward to playing with this new editor this weekend.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

I, too, will wait for the native OS X release before poking around... But thanks for doing this! :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

OS X bundle built. Sorry for the late release, but the build script is a huge hack and I've actually had work to do recently :)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/eschal ... g/download
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:OS X bundle built. Sorry for the late release, but the build script is a huge hack and I've actually had work to do recently :)

Thanks! :)

I'm hoping to have to time to poke around with this this weekend...
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:OS X bundle built. Sorry for the late release, but the build script is a huge hack and I've actually had work to do recently :)

Awesome, thanks! I've added that onto the website and the first post here. (Possibly you'd noticed that I had totally forgotten to push a new file out to the web repo when I shuffled that stuff around a bit - that should be fixed.) Also FYI, at Sourceforge you can set various files to be the "default" for various platforms... I've set the DMG to be the default for anyone coming in on Mac.
Gwendo
Apprentice

Post by Gwendo »

Will this editor suppor NPC and dialogue creation?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Gwendo wrote:Will this editor suppor NPC and dialogue creation?
Eventually, probably, yeah, once the game engine itself supports modding the appropriate files. It's probably a ways off at this point, but we'll see.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I tried to launch the Book 2 map editor (Windows 7), but it says it can't find the datapak and exits. It never gives me a chance to tell it where the directory is (even though it's installed in the default directory). I seem to recall the Book 3 editor prompted me when it couldn't find it. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

MyGameCompany wrote:I tried to launch the Book 2 map editor (Windows 7), but it says it can't find the datapak and exits. It never gives me a chance to tell it where the directory is (even though it's installed in the default directory). I seem to recall the Book 3 editor prompted me when it couldn't find it. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?
Hm, odd. The intended behavior is what you recalled seeing with Book 3 - it should prompt you and let you browse to where it's located. I'll have to see if I can reproduce that anywhere. It's possible a bug's crept into the editor related to Book II, and I just hadn't noticed.

In the meantime, you could try opening up the editor's config.ini file. On Win7, I believe that should be inside "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Eschalon Savefile Editor\config.ini" For instance, here's the top stanza from mine:

Code: Select all

[paths]
gamedir = 
gamedir_b2 = C:\Program Files\Eschalon Book II
gamedir_b3 = 
savegames = 
savegames_b2 = C:\Users\username\Application Data\Basilisk Games\Book 2 Saved Games
savegames_b3 = 
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Post by ehsmadhatter »

Has anyone got the map editor to work on macOS, I don't believe there is a datapak.
The character editor works great, no problems there.

Thanks for all of your work in creating this X and SS.

Duke
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

ehsmadhatter wrote:Has anyone got the map editor to work on macOS, I don't believe there is a datapak.
The character editor works great, no problems there.

Thanks for all of your work in creating this X and SS.
Yes, the map editor works on OS X. The datapak should be in the same directory as the main game executable.
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

I tried changing the plist file from python version 7 to version 6, but got a fatal error.

Here's the first few lines from the Consol:
4/8/14 5:35:07 PM com.apple.launchd[1] *** launchd[1] has started up. ***
4/8/14 5:35:11 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.usbmuxd) Unknown key: POSIXSpawnType
4/8/14 5:35:33 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129] (com.divx.agent.postinstall) Unknown key: LimitToSessionType
4/8/14 5:35:33 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129] (com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
4/8/14 5:35:37 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129] (com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[153]) Exited with exit code: 1
4/8/14 5:35:37 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129] (com.apple.mrt.uiagent[152]) Exited with exit code: 255
4/8/14 5:35:38 PM [0x0-0x9009].com.belightsoft.GetBackupAgent2[158] GetBackupAgent Starting...
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] Init...
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] Preferences >> Enable schedule: On
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] Preferences >> Use agent: On
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] AppFullPath: /Applications/non_apple_apps/Toast/Toast 10 Titanium/Get Backup 2 RE.app
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] CountOfSynchrons: 0
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM GetBackupAgent[158] CountOfBackups: 0
4/8/14 5:35:39 PM [0x0-0x9009].com.belightsoft.GetBackupAgent2[158] GetBackupAgent Terminating...
4/8/14 5:35:36 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.xprotectupdater[58]) Exited with exit code: 252
4/8/14 5:35:37 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129] (com.apple.CSConfigDotMacCert-@me.com-SharedServices[156]) Exited with exit code: 1
4/8/14 7:00:52 PM com.apple.UserEventAgent-Aqua[147] dontAutoLoad = EMPTY!
4/8/14 7:00:52 PM UserEventAgent[147] **** ERROR: SCNetworkSignatureCopyActiveIdentifiers returned nil
4/8/14 7:00:53 PM UserEventAgent[147] **** ERROR: SCNetworkSignatureCopyActiveIdentifiers returned nil

Is there something else I could change?