Map and Char editors v1.0

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
Post Reply
mbrowne
Steward
Posts: 66
Joined: January 30th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by mbrowne » April 8th, 2014, 1:38 am

Wondering about the file manager part of the savefile editors. I have saves stored in directories I can't explore to. Neither map nor char editor shows all subdirectories when exploring to find files. Example, I can get to C:\Documents and Settings\username\ but then it doesn't show the Application Data subdirectory. In fact, it only shows 9 out of 18 subdirectories there. Hoping this isn't a feature.

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by xolotl » April 8th, 2014, 12:14 pm

mbrowne wrote:Wondering about the file manager part of the savefile editors. I have saves stored in directories I can't explore to. Neither map nor char editor shows all subdirectories when exploring to find files. Example, I can get to C:\Documents and Settings\username\ but then it doesn't show the Application Data subdirectory. In fact, it only shows 9 out of 18 subdirectories there. Hoping this isn't a feature.
The editor certainly doesn't intentionally hide anything, so something else must be going on...

A deluge of questions follow: What version of Windows? Can you browse to those folders inside Windows Explorer? Are the missing 9 directories actually shortcuts or something? Does the "open" dialog have the "Load from Savegames..." tab (and does it show the data you'd expect)? If so, what path does it show at the bottom of that dialog? If not, and you're trying to open the savegames that Eschalon uses, could you find out what path Eschalon's using? (If you click on the version/copyright/language line on the game's main menu, it should tell you.)

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by raverdave2k » April 8th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Now I think about it I'm pretty sure the AppData or Application data folders are hidden folders in Windows, something I never considered as I always set windows to display all files.

You can either open up an explorer window and go Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Tick "Show hidden files, folders and drives" (May vary slightly depending on version of Windows) or alternatively you can just navigate to the Username folder in the file open box and then add "Application Data" to the end of the address manually, once your in it all the sub folders should show just fine.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by xolotl » April 8th, 2014, 12:43 pm

raverdave2k wrote:Now I think about it I'm pretty sure the AppData or Application data folders are hidden folders in Windows, something I never considered as I always set windows to display all files.
Ah, good point... There is actually a "set_show_hidden()" function I can use on the dialog, which is apparently False by default.

It looks like you can toggle that at runtime by using Ctrl-H. Could you give that a try, mbrowne, and see if that does the trick for you? (I'm not sure if the options mentioned by raverdave2k would work or not, since they probably only apply to "native" Windows file dialogs.)

mbrowne
Steward
Posts: 66
Joined: January 30th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by mbrowne » April 8th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Thanks. I have the OS (WinXP) set to show everything, and everything is accessible with other tools. And the directory explore worked fine in earlier versions. Dunno :?

mbrowne
Steward
Posts: 66
Joined: January 30th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by mbrowne » April 8th, 2014, 1:33 pm

xolotl wrote:The editor certainly doesn't intentionally hide anything, so something else must be going on...

A deluge of questions follow: What version of Windows? Can you browse to those folders inside Windows Explorer? Are the missing 9 directories actually shortcuts or something? Does the "open" dialog have the "Load from Savegames..." tab (and does it show the data you'd expect)? If so, what path does it show at the bottom of that dialog? If not, and you're trying to open the savegames that Eschalon uses, could you find out what path Eschalon's using? (If you click on the version/copyright/language line on the game's main menu, it should tell you.)
"Load from Savegames" is there and opens to the correct directory and shows the slots. It does not, however show an additional directory I have in there for storage. If I choose "Load from Other" it does not even show all directories in "documents and settings" I can explore to the saves with another tool and drag the icon to v1.0 and it opens fine, but not the most elegant :) Am I the only one with this issue?

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by raverdave2k » April 8th, 2014, 1:38 pm

Strange, I've not played properly with any version that has the newer open dialogues, I will install and investigate late on this evening or first thing tomorrow to see if get any issues.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by xolotl » April 8th, 2014, 5:48 pm

mbrowne wrote:"Load from Savegames" is there and opens to the correct directory and shows the slots. It does not, however show an additional directory I have in there for storage.
Hm, what's your other directory called? Right now that dialog does look for directories named "slot*", but I suppose there's probably no good reason that it should restrict itself like that.
If I choose "Load from Other" it does not even show all directories in "documents and settings"
Had you tried the Ctrl-H idea I mentioned above? It'd be interesting to find out if that does the trick.

raverdave2k
Senior Council Member
Posts: 224
Joined: January 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by raverdave2k » April 8th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Right I've just had a try myself I actually found the same, even though I have show all files turned on Windows the AppData and other hidden folders did not show in the editors open dialog, however Ctrl+H worked and they all showed after toggling that option on so I reckon that just needs setting as default and all should be well.
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by xolotl » April 9th, 2014, 12:12 am

One more thing which might help here, btw... If you right-click anything in the chooser dialog, you'll see an "Add to Bookmarks" option. If you click that, it'll add the directory/file/whatever as a permanent link over in the lefthand pane (where you see Search, Recently Used, C:, etc). That way you'll be able to just click on that dir directly from the panel from that point on, without having to Ctrl-H and dig through lots of dirs.

The necessity for that, btw, has had me raging for awhile. The Eschalon Util app actually does use a "set_current_folder()" function when creating that dialog, which is supposed to make sure that the "Other" tab opens up right in your savegame dir by default. However, someone on the gtk+ project made the bloody inexplicable decision that the dialog, on Windows, would always ignore that value and instead start out with the "Recently Used" link. I've not been able to find a workaround for it. Unbelievably frustrating. The set_current_folder() thing works great on my Linux box still, but on Windows it's just "Recently Used" all the time. Here's the first reference I found about it - the mailing list links in there are informative too, though the list archives appear to be offline at the moment.

Anyway, once you're able to browse in there (with Ctrl-H), you can at least set a bookmark to get there more easily in the future.

User avatar
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 776
Joined: August 21st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Re: Map and Char editors v1.0

Post by xolotl » April 16th, 2014, 12:36 pm

FYI, the recently-released v1.0.1 should fix this for you permanently - it now shows hidden files by default. You can still use Ctrl-H to toggle 'em on and off, though, if you want.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests