I have been doing some planning for a new large mod, and I wanted to mention it here and solicit suggestions. This will be a large multi-map mod consisting of dungeons and some above-ground areas. The entrance to the dungeons will be somewhere near the western edge of the Astral Range. In the regular game, there isn't a lot going on there, so it seems like a good place to put something. Also, it could potentially connect to new above-ground areas north of the mountains. I don't currently have plans to build up all of that area (although I might eventually do it if nobody else does), but I could coordinate with another modder and perhaps provide a map for the other end of the dungeon network to connect with another person's mod for the areas north of the Astral Range.
This will be a very difficult mod designed for characters who are at end-game strength and who have played the other mods. It will probably be a lot harder than the end game sequence.
Here are the main parts of the mod.
- [+] SPOILER
- 1. The dungeon entrance in the western Astral Range. This will be the only existing map to be modified.
2. A multi-path access to the interior. This will be split into six paths, each of which is a test for a different type of character. It will only be necessary to go through one path to access the interior, but it will be possible to go through all six (and there will be a very nice reward for completing all six). Each path will be large and will have its own map. Once a player has gone through one of the paths, an easy path to the interior will open. Each path will be a one-way path; a player who enters one of the paths will either come out through the other end or die trying.
3. The interior of the dungeon. I don't want to put a lot of details here since that would involve a lot of spoilers, but it will be a large area, perhaps occupying two or three maps, and most likely consisting of natural caves and constructed mines and dungeons. This will be a very dangerous and difficult place, but it will have a few nice surprises. I might try to work in some back story that will make sense in the context of the game.
4. Above-ground areas in the mountains. The dungeon will potentially have multiple egresses into isolated places within the mountains. Just how many there will be depends on how much time and energy I have. If somebody else wants to create one, I would be happy to provide a dungeon egress for their area.
5. Above-ground area north of the mountains. The dungeon will have an egress into the region north of the mountains. This area could be interfaced with other mods for this region. Until other north-of-mountains mods are created, it will be a small area and access to other above-ground areas will be blocked off. Another option - perhaps a good one if this area turns out to be incompatible with other mods - would be for this location to be an island instead.
6. Depending on how things go, possibly some other areas.
- [+] SPOILER
- 1. The entrance in the western Astral Range, two or three of the six entrance paths, and a small part of the dungeon interior (with a nice reward to make all of the trouble worthwhile).
2. The rest of the entrance paths, enough of the dungeon interior to reach one of the egresses, and a small above-ground area.
3. The remainder of the dungeon interior and the above-ground areas.
- [+] SPOILER
- 1. For fighters and battle mages. This path will be loaded with many of the toughest monsters in the game.
2. For rangers (and mage equivalents). This path will require action at a distance (i.e. firing arrows or spells at monsters or things) and will be easier for those who have good mapping abilities.
3. For rogues and elemental mages with the appropriate spells. This path will be full of locks, traps, and spot-hidden checks. I might also try to place some of the monsters such that the ability to move silently and/or hide in shadows will come in handy for those who want to sneak past them.
4. The resistance path. There will be numerous ways to suffer elemental damage or to become poisoned, diseased, or possibly cursed, so characters with good resistance levels and/or the ability to cure such afflictions will have an easier time.
5. For those who can burn, bash, or explode their way through obstacles. Powder kegs, demon oil, and bludgeoning or cleaving weapons will come in handy.
6. For those of any character type who like to solve logic puzzles and riddles. I am trying to come up with some riddles and other wordplay puzzles for this path; I plan to use some classics, and I plan to lift some from old games, but I would like some original ones as well. Additionally, there will be logic puzzles - perhaps lever puzzles, math puzzles, and/or teleporter mazes. If anybody has suggestions, please reply to this thread and use spoiler tags.
Please reply with comments and suggestions, and put any specific puzzle ideas in spoiler tags so that people who might play the mod don't have to read them.