A mod for Eschalon Book III from Basilisk Games
This mod contains a very difficult, puzzle-heavy dungeon with an alternate ending for the series. It is intended for experienced players of the Eschalon series with high-level wizard characters. Completing the mod requires multiple third-tier spells from both Elemental and Divination.
Note that not all character builds will be able to complete the dungeon! Unlike official Basilisk Games content, there is usually only one (intended) way through each challenge. If you don't know the right spell/skill or have the right item you may not be able to continue. You may need to leave the dungeon to level your character by camping for XP, or pick up your character at an earlier level and adjust your advancement strategy.
For a (spoiler!) list of the spells, skills, and items you'll need to complete this mod, see the bottom of this file.
Unpack the distribution zip file, and copy the "mods" directory into the same folder that holds your Eschalon Book III executable and datapak file. If you already have a mods directory, copy the .map and .ent files into that directory.
Because this is not a "savegame" mod, it can be installed at any time and is compatible with any previous save files.
DO NOT COPY THESE FILES INTO YOUR SAVEGAME "slotX" directory! The game will crash if you do that!
If you have a previous version of the mod installed, existing games that have visited any of the new maps will not see the updated version. You should either load a game from before visiting the mod, "reset" the mod's maps in your saved game, or start a new game.
You can reset maps in your saved game by as follows:
1. Save your game on a map other than one you're going to reset
2. Find your saved game slot folder. Click on the version of Eschalon Book III at the bottom of the screen in the main menu to find the main saved game location. Inside that location are files named "slotX" where X is a number between 1 and 20. "slot1" is the quicksave slot, "slot2" is the next saved game in the list, etc.
3. Make a copy of your saved game. For instance, if your game is in slot3, make a copy of that folder called "slot3.backup" or similar.
4. Delete any of the following files that appear in your save slot folder: 5046.map, 5046.ent, 5046.opq, craft.map, craft.ent, craft.opq, sanctum.map, sanctum.ent, sanctum.opq, sanctum2.map, sanctum2.ent, sanctum2.opq
ACCESSING NEW CONTENT
This mod begins at the pass into Fandugan, the north exit from Alundar's Realm.
At the alternate ending, a short clip of sound plays over and over in an annoying fashion. You may want to turn down your speakers.
To post bugs, make suggestions, or give other feedback, please post in the Book III Mods forum at Basilisk Games' Drunken Lizard Pub:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =34&t=9333
COMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER MODS
This mod uses quest numbers 150-157. It provides map 5046 (north of Alundar's Domain) which itself has an exit to the unimplemented map 5045.
Version 1.2, June 27, 2014
* Moved quest numbering from 200-207 to 150-157, which should avoid lots of
* If you fail "Defeat simultaneously," the teleporter activates, preventing
you from being trapped
* Redesigned "Burn precisely" to let you leave without solving it, but
(I hope!) still require the same solution
* "Look carefully" changed to teleport you back to the beginning once you
touch the monument
* Renamed "Look remotely" to "View remotely" since we were already using
"look" for "Look carefully"
* Spelling corrections: Talushorn and Wylderan
* Add some torches to "Attack indirectly"
* Remove excess floor tiles on the outside of rooms
* Add missing sconce descriptions in "Flip cautiously"
Version 1.1, June 2, 2014
* Rooms can now be accessed in any order, hopefully reducing frustration if
people get stuck on one particular puzzle
* Each room has a label, providing a description of the puzzle and/or a
hint as to its solution
* Some rooms had unintended solutions using powder kegs through a wall.
These should no longer be possible.
* "Look carefully" pointless trap/lock removed, and room difficulty reduced
* Messages in the finale were changed to try to guide people toward an
* The lever in "Defeat simultaneously" was moved to a location where it
it easier to see
* Changed the look of "Step wisely"
Version 1.0, May 31, 2014
* Initial release
Below is a list of the spells, skills, and items you'll need to complete the
dungeon, which is a pretty heavy spoiler.
- [+] SPOILER
Haste spell, or Potion of Haste
Invisibility, or very high armor / healing
A fused powder keg, or several regular ones
Demon oil, NOT level III
A spreadsheet and some patience
Lots of MP and/or Mana potions