Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

Post by Painted Lady »

I've gotten into Humphrey's tower and I have a question about a puzzle.
[+] SPOILER
The stone stele guarding the tower path says "... I weigh nothing...", yet unless I'm thinking of the wrong item, it actually weighs .1 lb. The correct thing to be carrying is a piece of paper, right?
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

To Painted Lady: that was my guess as well, and it proved correct.

Speaking of suchlike riddles, I'd appreciate a pointer for the right invitation item in Bastion Spire.

Many thanks in advance!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

5th level? yes: Chancellor's Sword, Base damage: 2, Weight: 1.0 lbs, Value: 100 (sounds rather like an oversized letter opener :D )

Too easy? after cleaning out Misty Pass, yes.

I did everything backwards as usual :lol: I didn't remember reading your instructions about finding the wagon train first, so I went north from the ford and by the time I got to where the instructions are, I had stopped checking bodies and loose bags, so I had the sword before I finally read the instructions. Then I went to solve Humfrey's puzzles, which were entertaining.

Mike
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:5th level? yes: Chancellor's Sword, Base damage: 2, Weight: 1.0 lbs, Value: 100 (sounds rather like an oversized letter opener :D )
Ah, so you did miss it... :)
[+] SPOILER
The sword is NOT the weapon the Taurax are looking for. It's the key to finding the weapon.
Mike Modified wrote:Too easy? after cleaning out Misty Pass, yes.
You "cleaned out" Misty Pass? Whoa - epic! What character build are you using? I'd love to see the stats on it.

And maybe I'll need to make Bastion Spire a bit more challenging at the end.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

helivoy wrote:Speaking of suchlike riddles, I'd appreciate a pointer for the right invitation item in Bastion Spire.
I'm not sure what you mean by "invitation item"?
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

By invitation item, I mean what item I must carry to gain access to Bastion Spire level 5.

Again, many thanks for both the mod and the hints!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

:shock: Well, that makes sense, seemed like a huge let-down.

Off hand, there are one or two "minor" mysteries yet to be solved. So, good, off to do more.

My character is a carefully-built Ranger (all natural, no artificial enhancements :P ) with some magical abilities, played VERY carefully 8)

Mike
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

MyGameCompany wrote: You "cleaned out" Misty Pass? Whoa - epic! What character build are you using? I'd love to see the stats on it.
I did, too, actually. Invisibility + Supernova + 5 MP/turn regeneration + copious Fortify Mana potions.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Painted Lady wrote:I've gotten into Humphrey's tower and I have a question about a puzzle.
[+] SPOILER
The stone stele guarding the tower path says "... I weigh nothing...", yet unless I'm thinking of the wrong item, it actually weighs .1 lb. The correct thing to be carrying is a piece of paper, right?
Since it seems my solution was correct, then
[+] SPOILER
the puzzle should actually say "...I weigh almost nothing.....".
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

So, I no longer have the Chancellor's Sword and I had "to take the long way home", but <grumble, grumble> I was directed to look for "a weapon" and I found what would more correctly be termed, hmm, "the ultimate means of destroying Kuudad (or Mistfell)". Maybe be more explicit about what the goal is?

Also, am I supposed to be unable to reach the stairs @44,19 of the 4th level of the Spire?

Mike
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I just found a couple of small bugs re: the Trusty Sword Tavern in Western Midlande. I took a screenshot and can send it to you if you want. First, the mini-map goes all haywire when you go downstairs. The areas you walk through work fine, but the whole map has some odd background stuff going on. Also, the tavern owner's dialog gets strange. It's fine until he gets done offering you his old equipment, then there is some commentary about busy people in Port Kuudad.

I can't believe the effort you have put into this mod. The maps are absolutely wonderful. What a great job you have done. I agree that less loot and higher quality would be nice, but that is the biggest complaint I can come up with. This is a really fun expansion. I'm looking forward to continuing with the game. Thank you!
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

helivoy wrote:By invitation item, I mean what item I must carry to gain access to Bastion Spire level 5.

Again, many thanks for both the mod and the hints!
I don't think there is one. You should be able to make it all the way up to the throne room in level 5. Just use the staircases to go from floor to floor.
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:
MyGameCompany wrote: You "cleaned out" Misty Pass? Whoa - epic! What character build are you using? I'd love to see the stats on it.
I did, too, actually. Invisibility + Supernova + 5 MP/turn regeneration + copious Fortify Mana potions.
Hm. Guess maybe I need to add more Taurax to the army. :)

Wonder how many more I can add before the engine barfs...?
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:So, I no longer have the Chancellor's Sword and I had "to take the long way home", but <grumble, grumble> I was directed to look for "a weapon" and I found what would more correctly be termed, hmm, "the ultimate means of destroying Kuudad (or Mistfell)". Maybe be more explicit about what the goal is?
[+] SPOILER
Well, a "weapon" doesn't necessarily mean a hand-held weapon. But to be honest, there was a little deliberate misdirection there on my part - I don't necessarily want to hand everything to the player on a platter. I personally like games where you have to think a bit.

Still, I did try to leave a few clues - like the dying man's journal at Yoma Narrows, which says "the Chancellor's throne hides the key to finding this weapon" (it doesn't say the throne contains the weapon). And the text that is shown when finding the Chancellor's Sword that says something sarcastically to the effect of, "This is the big weapon everybody has been looking for?" And I tried to place a bit of next near the shield that points it out - unfortunately, the area tile type only extends for a 1-tile radius, so unless you're walking on the north side of the hall, you'll likely miss it. Not sure what I can do about that without duplicating the same message across several tiles in the hallway, which could be annoying.

I suppose I could change the words of the dying man you initially encounter (at Yoma Narrows) to say the Taurax are looking for "something that could be used as a weapon", but I'm not sure that would make it any clearer to the player. They'd probably miss that subtle hint too.
Mike Modified wrote:Also, am I supposed to be unable to reach the stairs @44,19 of the 4th level of the Spire?
Yes. Look around, there's something nearby that will allow you to access the stairs.
[+] SPOILER
I believe there's a painting or something on the wall just south of there that you can click on.
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Painted Lady wrote:I just found a couple of small bugs re: the Trusty Sword Tavern in Western Midlande. I took a screenshot and can send it to you if you want. First, the mini-map goes all haywire when you go downstairs. The areas you walk through work fine, but the whole map has some odd background stuff going on.
Sounds like I missed a opq file. I'll make sure this weekend's update includes it.
Painted Lady wrote:Also, the tavern owner's dialog gets strange. It's fine until he gets done offering you his old equipment, then there is some commentary about busy people in Port Kuudad.
Yeah, not much I can do about this. The commentary about Port Kuudad is built into the game for that particular character. I can't edit that. And that's the only generic townsperson character I found that I could use. Since I can't edit the character, I added the message about his old equipment to be triggered when you step into the room. You'd only see the Port Kuudad message if you clicked on the character. (Which, granted, is the normal thing you'd do when you encounter a NPC and want to talk to him. But I'm limited in what I can do with the Book II scripting.)
Painted Lady wrote:I can't believe the effort you have put into this mod. The maps are absolutely wonderful. What a great job you have done. I agree that less loot and higher quality would be nice, but that is the biggest complaint I can come up with. This is a really fun expansion. I'm looking forward to continuing with the game. Thank you!
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
Troy