Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Book II Mod: Return to Bastion Spire

Post by MyGameCompany »

helivoy wrote:I wonder if I can have a hint about access to the 3 rooms in Humfrey's place? I found one of the three destinations, entered the correct code, but the destination door remains closed. Do I have to traipse back to the magician's tower? Many thanks in advance for hints - outright spoilers are fine, too!
You're on the right track. But there's a bug with the door at one of the destinations. SpottedShroom found it a few days ago. Sorry about that. I've got it fixed here, but I'm not quite ready to upload a new version yet. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll be able to upload the fix, as well as several new maps.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:
helivoy wrote:I am playing through this now -- it's the size of a whole game! More when I've visited all the secret nooks and crannies.
I know, right? It's amazing.
Hehe, yeah this turned out to be a lot bigger than I originally intended. I was trying to make it feel like an epic journey, and I think I got carried away!
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Stepping on the quick travel point in Bastion Spire puts the program into an endless loop cycling between the Spire and Humfrey's tower. Requires Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task manager which has to force Eschalon to end.

There are only three dwellings and one crypt in Western Thaemore and no signs of Nightwood (or did I mis-transcribe the clues?).

Enjoying this greatly, even with minimal rewards.

Mike
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:Stepping on the quick travel point in Bastion Spire puts the program into an endless loop cycling between the Spire and Humfrey's tower. Requires Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the task manager which has to force Eschalon to end.
Yeah, I just noticed that too while I was testing one of my new maps tonight. Not sure what happened - the portals worked in the days before I released the beta. It's on my fix-it list.
Mike Modified wrote:There are only three dwellings and one crypt in Western Thaemore and no signs of Nightwood (or did I mis-transcribe the clues?).
Nightwood is on one of the maps I hadn't finished yet, so you don't have it. That's the one I was testing tonight. :)
Mike Modified wrote:Enjoying this greatly, even with minimal rewards.

Mike
Thanks! The rewards will be better in the next update, which I hope to release sometime this weekend. I fixed all of the containers to yield better treasure.
Troy
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

MyGameCompany wrote: Yeah, I just noticed that too while I was testing one of my new maps tonight. Not sure what happened - the portals worked in the days before I released the beta. It's on my fix-it list.
You can portal to another portal within the same map and it works - see the teleporter puzzle in the Sanctum mod. But if you map_port to a location on another map with a map_port script back, it triggers immediately upon arrival and you get the loop MM described.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

Running totals so far:

760 kills
~222,000 experience points
~30,000 golds (after the cost of 1500-2000 arrows)
1 sword, value: 100 :roll:

Mike
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Hang in there. There's some extremely epic loot in later maps.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

The given gold total was without benefit of 99% of the level 1 loot: too much trouble to collect it and cash it in.

I'm pretty sure that I've gotten everything currently available (didn't even singe my beard :shock: ), hence the sword reference.

Mike
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

There's a hole/gap in the mountains in Misty Pass @ 49,34 allowing you to wander around even into Gambit Valley.

Mike
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

SpottedShroom wrote:You can portal to another portal within the same map and it works - see the teleporter puzzle in the Sanctum mod. But if you map_port to a location on another map with a map_port script back, it triggers immediately upon arrival and you get the loop MM described.
Thanks! Hm. I wonder how that worked for me when I tested it earlier? I guess maybe I didn't have the portal hooked up one of the ends. Anyway, I'll change it to map_port you to a tile next to the return portal.
Troy
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

I got both errors/problems -- the not-opening door in Misty Pass and the endless loop in Bastion Spire (plus a few empty maps). Good to know another round of fixes is on the way, because it's a fascinating secondary game.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:There's a hole/gap in the mountains in Misty Pass @ 49,34 allowing you to wander around even into Gambit Valley.
Good catch! Thanks!
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Mike Modified wrote:The given gold total was without benefit of 99% of the level 1 loot: too much trouble to collect it and cash it in.

I'm pretty sure that I've gotten everything currently available (didn't even singe my beard :shock: ), hence the sword reference.
The loot will be much better in the next update.

Did you make it all the way to the 5th level in Bastion Spire? And did you find it too easy?
Troy
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

helivoy wrote:I got both errors/problems -- the not-opening door in Misty Pass and the endless loop in Bastion Spire (plus a few empty maps). Good to know another round of fixes is on the way, because it's a fascinating secondary game.
Thanks!

Both of those problems are fixed here, and will be available in the next update. You said you encountered some empty maps? What do you mean by empty, and which maps were empty?
Troy
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

I wandered all over the gray fog through the Misty Pass gap, hoping it would lead me to a portal of the still-missing Mighty Mountains! *laughs* There's a second gap along the same mountain line but I didn't put down the coordinates.

Troy, we cross-posted, it seems. What I meant is that I still haven't found content that populates the Mighty Mountains files. Also, is the Hidden Temple meant to be impassable past the first door?

Many thanks for doing this and for being willing to hone it!
Last edited by helivoy on August 20th, 2014, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky