Controlling the visuals of Armor?

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
sapientCrow
Steward

Controlling the visuals of Armor?

Post by sapientCrow »

Hello.
I have been trying to adjust the visual of a skull cap to look like a enchanter's hat using the utilities.
I have changed all values to the same as enchanter's hat yet I still have the visual of a skull cap.
What variables change the visuals of armor?
thanks
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Controlling the visuals of Armor?

Post by SpottedShroom »

Woo, this turns out to be a pretty twisted bit of logic. The art that gets added to your character graphic by the items you use is evidently based mostly on the name of the item - call an axe "Pine Long Bow" and it looks like you're wielding a bow. Headware gets special treatment, though. Call anything a "Hat" and it looks like a pointy wizard hat. However, to make something look like a proper helm, it has to have at least armor rating of 3, but you can still override by calling it a Hat. Confused yet?
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Well yes that is convoluted indeed!
However thank you for helping me with that info.
So the name overrides but if the armor rating has a specific value it will auto put a certain visual (if the name is unique and is not matching a keyword)?
Is there a way to see the keywords and what armor visual they link to?
Yes this is a bit confusing.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sapientCrow wrote: Is there a way to see the keywords and what armor visual they link to?
Yes this is a bit confusing.
Sorry, I think trial and error is the only way to figure it out.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Ok thanks.
It looks like the only way to do it is to name it exactly as one of the pointy hats which so far are only Wizard's Hat and Enchanter's Hat. Trying multiple combinations with Hat in the name still returned a metal bucket on my head.
I figure it would have been attached to material to make it easy but I was wrong.
Will it break if I call a Hat with different stats the same as another item with different stats?
Enchanter's Hat has 1 elemental and this other Epic Intellicus cap has 4 int wis and conc.

thanks again