A Beginner’s Guide to Modding

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
Travet46
Initiate

A Beginner’s Guide to Modding

Post by Travet46 »

Maybe the reason that we are not seeing more mods is that the average player may be reluctant to try the Eschalon Map Editor.
To overcome this, I am proposing a Beginner’s Guide to Modding. Anyone can try modding by following this step by step guide.
The first draft is attached. Suggestions and changes are solicited.
(I do not have a Macintosh or Linux machine so everything is for Windows)

Completed version 3 10/2/14
Attachments
BeginnersGuide3.zip
(207.91 KiB) Downloaded 785 times
Last edited by Travet46 on October 2nd, 2014, 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mbrowne
Steward

Re: A Beginner’s Guide to Modding

Post by mbrowne »

I think this is the right idea. Mod creating is an endeavor where peer support would help.

The editor is great work. I haven't had a chance to play with it since early versions when map creation was pretty tedious. It looks nice at this point. Some tutorials for use would be very useful.

The process of adding quests and NPCs is still convoluted, but a couple of tutorials by those who whave been successful would be very valuable.

Scripting is another area for documentation with an eye for usability and some tutorials.

Centralizing the above would help -- One place to look for docs and tutes on Editor, NPC, Quests, and Scripting.

I would also suggest that the modding forum contain modding conversations, with discussion of mods moved to the respective Book x forums.

Just some ideas that might consolidate info and effort, and add some juice to modding of Eschalon.

Looking forward to getting time again to play with it :)