Bringing back the fun of exploration to Eschalon

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
Travet46
Initiate

Bringing back the fun of exploration to Eschalon

Post by Travet46 »

I have often wished that someone else could add different map mods to my savegame folder so that I could play a game not knowing what was coming. Then I realized that this could be a relatively easy task for a script written to randomly select from different map mods and store them in a savegame folder.
The map mods could be relatively simple (such as changing the locations of loot, NPCs or enemies) or they could be significant landscape changes.
Each time you ran the script it would generate a different combination of maps in the savegame folder. This would restore some of the enjoyment of exploration and adventure that we first experienced with Eschalon.
I can contribute to the map mods but someone with better scripting skills is needed to write the script.
Anyone interested?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Bringing back the fun of exploration to Eschalon

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Honestly, I've always wondered why someone (who has more free time than me) hasn't come up with a script to generate random dungeons for Eschalon (1,2 or 3). Seems like it would be fairly simple to say you want a dungeon X by Y in size with a difficulty of Z, and have a script generate a dungeon with chests, monsters, traps, and locked doors, randomly deposited keys and treasure, etc.

As for random maze generation, there are a ton of code examples online you could borrow from. The rest would be random & conditional statements to place objects.

If anyone wants to make this, I will supply all the needed data (object codes, map format, etc).
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Honestly, I've always wondered why someone (who has more free time than me) hasn't come up with a script to generate random dungeons for Eschalon (1,2 or 3). Seems like it would be fairly simple to say you want a dungeon X by Y in size with a difficulty of Z, and have a script generate a dungeon with chests, monsters, traps, and locked doors, randomly deposited keys and treasure, etc.

As for random maze generation, there are a ton of code examples online you could borrow from. The rest would be random & conditional statements to place objects.

If anyone wants to make this, I will supply all the needed data (object codes, map format, etc).
This would be a lot of fun, actually. Almost a rogue-like mod on top of Eschalon. I could see someone creating a randomly generated dungeon where each level ramps up the difficulty. See how deep you can go before you have to turn back. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Honestly, I've always wondered why someone (who has more free time than me) hasn't come up with a script to generate random dungeons for Eschalon (1,2 or 3). Seems like it would be fairly simple to say you want a dungeon X by Y in size with a difficulty of Z, and have a script generate a dungeon with chests, monsters, traps, and locked doors, randomly deposited keys and treasure, etc.

I thought about doing this for a while. Most of what you need already exists in the map editor code, but would need to be abstracted out a bit to be useful.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I never said I was going to write a random dungeon generator, just that most of the functionality you would need is already present in the editor code.