ZATMOS Q&A

General information about our next game.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: ZATMOS Q&A

Post by Painted Lady » February 3rd, 2017, 9:34 am

Zatmos is sounding like more fun all the time. Have you gotten all of your design elements figured out?

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » February 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm

Painted Lady wrote:Zatmos is sounding like more fun all the time. Have you gotten all of your design elements figured out?
No, and that's one reason I haven't posted screenshots.

The UI has gone through 4 changes in 6 months. The designs of the Marauders have changed a LOT since first draft last summer. In some ways the game itself is not even what I originally planned out.

I can't wait to get your (as in, all you Drunken Lizard Pub patrons) thoughts on the game when I release some screens and video.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany » February 3rd, 2017, 6:39 pm

Sounds a lot like my old Adventures of Rick Rocket game. It was a space shooter and had mission-based levels too. The only difference was instead of ship upgrades purchased at a shop, you found them via power-ups that certain enemies dropped when you blew them up.

Can't wait to take it for a spin, BW!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » February 3rd, 2017, 7:28 pm

MyGameCompany wrote:Sounds a lot like my old Adventures of Rick Rocket game.
I'd love to give it a spin! Can you give me a link where I can buy a copy?

MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany » February 4th, 2017, 10:41 am

Unfortunately, it isn't currently available for sale since I closed my business a few years back. But I could look through my old backups and find an install for it. Would a Windows version be sufficient? I could upload it to my wife's craft site and send you a link. Is your email address still info at your domain?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » February 4th, 2017, 11:50 am

MyGameCompany wrote:
February 4th, 2017, 10:41 am
Would a Windows version be sufficient? I could upload it to my wife's craft site and send you a link. Is your email address still info at your domain?
Yes, and Yes. Thanks man.

Leezar
Senior Steward

Post by Leezar » February 6th, 2017, 4:53 am

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
February 3rd, 2017, 9:19 am
I think you, and others, will likely be surprised by what kind of a game Zodiac is (or isn't). It is not a RPG, in the traditional sense. It has some RPG elements, but I certainly would not call it that.

Think of a classic arcade space shooter. Got it? Now instead of wave-after-wave of enemies, drop in missions / tasks that need to be complete before a zone is cleared. Sure, just like in an RPG, enemies will try to stop you, but the goal of the game is not a high-score for blasting as many waves of enemies as possible- it's about following the storyline by completing missions (call missions "quests" if you wish). Upgrade stations will allow you to perform ship upgrades, much like outfitting your character at a blacksmith in Eschalon. Exploration will be rewarded.

In a way, maybe Zodiac is a bit like "Diablo in space". A lightweight action RPG, but with a spaceship instead of a character.
???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87fvncXl8EA
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f3gtAfxl8
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwzRZZe ... rwsgPPjPlH
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16uBdP6 ... YsZd84MKoa
=
ZATMOS

???
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » February 6th, 2017, 8:27 am

= PROFIT??!?

Leezar
Senior Steward

Post by Leezar » March 14th, 2017, 4:36 am

You are very very sleepy...

Give us work in progress screenshots!!!
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » March 14th, 2017, 5:07 am

:lol: Sorry Hypnotoad. This is difficult for both of us.

I'm just not ready to show anything yet. I want the "unveiling" to be really impactful, and I just don't have enough content for that yet.

Last week was a lot of maintenance code work- consolidating functions, making some systems more drop-in-and-go friendly such as unifying the weapons controller, so that the game's entities (including the player) can properly share weapons.

This week it looks like I am doing some sound design and music sampling, since much of the sound and music is still temporary and I want to start establishing an overall audio mood.

Although there is some real gameplay in place, I am still missing two major game elements which I want to be part of the unveil. Hopeful these will materialize in the next few weeks.

Overall, I think ZATMOS looks really nice. Even now, it definitely causes people to stop and watch for a bit when they walk by.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady » March 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

Even now, it definitely causes people to stop and watch for a bit when they walk by.
So where would I have to go to walk by?

You are a terrible tease!

razing32
Initiate

Post by razing32 » May 14th, 2017, 3:17 am

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
October 5th, 2016, 2:36 pm
WHEN DO WE GET TO SEE SCREENSHOTS?
Not for a while. The game hasn't been formally announced yet. When I announce the game, it will be through a Steam Greenlight submission with a trailer video, and we'll work hard to spread the news everywhere at that point. Until then, the ZATMOS website will remain the teaser it is now.
Isn't Steam Greenlight going away ? :?

Will you have time to upload it and get it greenlight before it dies.
Or did you mean Steam Direct , the new one ?

TenToes
Pledge

Post by TenToes » May 26th, 2017, 8:19 am

Hi, new guy here. Recently started playing Book I (It's awesome 8)) so I made an account here.

This game looks pretty interesting too and I was glad to find out you are also working on a Sci-Fi RPG (I love Sci-Fi :D)!

Anyway, I wanted to ask are you considering gamepad support? It works pretty well on many of the top-down "twin stick shooters" that have been popping up ever since Geometry Wars.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler » May 26th, 2017, 10:14 am

Gamepad support: yes.

TenToes
Pledge

Post by TenToes » May 26th, 2017, 11:54 am

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
May 26th, 2017, 10:14 am
Gamepad support: yes.
Yes! That's great news. It's not always a given with PC games.

And a personal thank you from me for creating Eschalon. It's incredible and I love it :)
Also a source of inspiration as many successful indies are because I'm developing my own game (metroidvania). Been re-playing Fallout 1/2 and playing Eschalon the past few weeks and they have made me really interested in trying my hand at a small scale RPG after this project :)

Eschalon was BlitzMax, right? And now you are probably moving to Unity for this and the Sci-Fi RPG?
Last edited by TenToes on May 26th, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.