i've played it for about 30 minutes. i guess i should post my findings over at irontower than here, but I assume someone from there checks in here regularly!!
here are my thoughts.
1) the installation falied to put an icon anywhere on my system, either the desktop or start menu. i had to launch the game from the .exe within the install directory.
2) their 3D engine is sloooow. not that i have a powerhouse system, but given the 8-year-old look of the game, it should have run like a banshee. i got maybe 10-15 fps most of the time for 2 low-polygon characters in an empty arena at 1024x768???
3) the game (i know just a combat demo) is decent. good interface, lots of attention to detail. without this i think it would pretty much suxorz but the interface definitly makes the game more enjoyable.
4) i've read a lot about how the combat model is supposed to be so good, so advanced. for me it still came down to lots of str and dex, click-click-click, hope the dice rolls go my way. how is this any different than eschalon which some of the hardcore crowd says combat is too simple??????? still, i like the feel of aod combat, but revolutionary? no.
5) i give my experience with it a solid "c+". it is good and i am still buying the full game (support the indies!!), but i think i expected to be really impressed. it is good just not great.