Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Re: Emerge: Cities of the Apocalypse

Post by Prismatic Maelstrom »

vdweller wrote:Aside from that, how's playing with scientists and what do you think about energy weapons? Their usefulness is more pronounced later in the game when armored enemies appear, but so far what do you think?
Playing as a scientist is good because you get crystals each turn and you can research faster. I like energy weapons and have become quite good at aiming for the head. I'll have a look at RPG Codex later as there are some sites I can't browse on my work computer.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Text: You stumble upon a retired operative, who is more then willing to teach you a few tips and tricks about...
Correction: Should be "than".

Text: A mysterious figure offers 500 crystals in exchange for 2000 \sum{5} credits.
Correction: Remove the text.

Text: You discover an abandoned building housing an enormous machine. In fron of you, a huge walkway leads to three...
Correction: Should be "front".

Text: cick to assign weapon
Correction: Should be "click". Appears underneath a character avatar if no weapon is picked.

Couple of comments:
  • I'd make events like this only appear if you have the required amount of crystals or credits.
I think I'll be waiting now until you release the game. :D If you decide to include any steam achievements, I can think of a few suggestions if you want.
Book II and Book III Soundtrack on YouTube | Thaermore Revisited - A Mod for Eschalon: Book I
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

You are superhuman. I'm working on all the typos as well as other things.

I opted for events to be shown even if players have not enough crystals in order to provide motive and make them see that they just missed something because they didn't think crystals were important enough to get. Just a thought.

Challenges only appear in "skirmish mode" which is unlocked at some point in the campaign. The tutorial plays a map in skirmish mode. I could get around this.

Have you had any graphical glitches so far?

Also, some feedback stated that the trailer was too long (Codexians pointed it out mainly, but a few others did too) and oversaturated with fancy words and stuff. Do you believe that when the game is submitted to Greenlight, a shorter trailer should be the main one? It's a fact that most Steam users don't watch trailers for long, hence the average duration of ~1 minute in Greenlight videos.
Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

vdweller wrote:Have you had any graphical glitches so far?
A few times I've seen text appear for less than a second and then disappear. It doesn't look like text I've read while playing the game. I remember it happening on the city overview and the level-up screen. It engulfs the entire screen.
vdweller wrote:Do you believe that when the game is submitted to Greenlight, a shorter trailer should be the main one?
I think a shorter trailer would be best.
ttomm46
Senior Steward

Post by ttomm46 »

Different and fun.. :D
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

A new, shorter game trailer is ready. Depending on its reception, this will probably be the featuring video in the upcoming Steam Greenlight submission. If you think it's OK for that purpose, let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t594lfUEA_U
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Checked it out... pretty entertaining. I like the turn-based-but-with-a-little-bit-of-real-time-action-a-la-missile-command style. Several times I wished I could preemptive strike on some zombie controlled areas - I know there's tech later on down the tree, but when you're sitting there with not enough infrastructure, have 3-4 troops on the back-burner (couldn't afford the troop slot upgrade), it would be nice to do something other than burn points on exploring (The working for money tech helped with that itch). It also feels like the Crystal generation is on the low side, but that was just impressions from the tutorial mission so far. Having the "legendary" style plasma rifle pop up at the shop was a Godsend... made reclaiming territory a cinch when I couldn't build turrets fast enough to keep the zombies at bay.

Runs fine on:

Windows 10 Pro
AMD A10-7700K (iGPU Disabled)
8GB System RAM
Radeon R9 290 w/4GB
480GB SSD
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

This is looking really cool.

Depending on your video skills I would recommend having your bullet points slide across the bottom of the screen, one after another. Having 4 bullet points taking up 1/4 the screen of video and just sitting there for seconds on end, isn't very good. It blocks too much.
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

tiresius wrote:This is looking really cool.

Depending on your video skills I would recommend having your bullet points slide across the bottom of the screen, one after another. Having 4 bullet points taking up 1/4 the screen of video and just sitting there for seconds on end, isn't very good. It blocks too much.

It's more abut the time it takes to do it...I learned Adobe Premiere in an afternoon just for the damned trailers. I've got to fix bugs, build a Greenlight candidate demo..too much stuff to be done for only one person. But I'll see what I can do, I got some other interesting ideas about improving the trailer.

@ CrazyBernie Thanks for the info! Did you encounter any graphical glitches while playing?
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

HUGE UPDATE!

The game has been submitted to Steam Greenlight! Please show your support and vote for it! Clicking the logo below will take you to the game's Greenlight page!

Prismatic Maelstrom
Major
Major

Very good! I'll vote for it after work, sorry that I never got around to checking the new trailer. Was busying playing something.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

got the page up but its giving me shit.

will favorite and yes it asap.

congrats Vdweller.

ps, even if its not my cup, im gonna buy it.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

vdweller wrote:
@ CrazyBernie Thanks for the info! Did you encounter any graphical glitches while playing?
Nothing while I was playing the game, but when I locked my computer with the game still running, this was awaiting my return:
CaptureErrorEmerge.JPG
CaptureErrorEmerge.JPG (31.36 KiB) Viewed 18200 times
I clicked ignore several times, and the window was redrawn, but the error never went away... it just alternated between the cityblock and control map objects throwing up errors.
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

@ CrazyBernie
Happened precisely because you locked your computer. GM8 doesn't like this stuff. In Win7, Ctr+Alt+Deleting which pops up the blue screen does the same thing.

@ blatherbeard
Thanks a bunch man. You've no idea how difficult it is to swim upstream in such a pile of shitty submissions like Justin Bieber simulator or Cat Simulator.

EDIT: LOLOOOOOOL the Russians left a comment saying that 1) They voted it 2) They want a Russian Translation 3) They will crack it HAHAHHAHAHAAAAAHAAA I feel honored :P
vdweller
Senior Steward

Post by vdweller »

The game was featured in an article at Rock paper Shotgun! Yay!