Geneforge 1 - Mutagen (Spiderweb Software)

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen (Spiderweb Software)

Post by Randomizer »

Coming February 24th, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen, the remake of Geneforge 1, by Spiderweb Software.

http://spiderwebsoftware.com/geneforge/index.html

A complete remake of the original game with a new game engine, combat system, new quests, and new items. Plenty of hours and replay ability with different endings depending on what you decide to do in the game. You can choose from three different classes: Guardian (fighter), Agent (magic user), or Shaper (create monsters to help you).
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Geneforge 1 - Mutagen (Spiderweb Software)

Post by SpottedShroom »

Every time I see a post like this I get excited and then I realize Spiderweb still isn't making Linux versions of their games.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The only Linux game version is a really old Exile 3.

Jeff doesn't like to program or learn new programming and hasn't had a third party offering to do a Linux port for his games that he's mentioned. The only reason there was an Android version was a company came an offered to do it the one time. However the work to make different sized versions of the graphic to fit different screen sizes made it not worth doing again.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Sorry for being, a, five months late to the party, but I'd just like to mention that Nethergate is a kind of forgotten gem made by the same developer.

It is available on gog. It is now called Nethergate Resurrection, but to be honest, I can't really tell what is the difference with this version and original, other than;
1) It now works on modern computers
2) The UI seems to have had a bit of a rework (but still manages to be outdated)

I like Nethergate firstly because it is set in a historical context that anyone who likes British history will appreciate, and because it is SLIGHTLY more balanced than the other Spiderweb games. Spiderweb games generally suffers from you being bloody useless in the first couple of levels (which can make it frustrating, especially since this was before autosave was a thing), but by level 10 or so you have become a demigod, unable to suffer any defeat (which tends to make it boring. To be honest, I haven't really finished a lot of Spiderweb games, for this particular reason).

Even so, most battles tend to be a tad repetitive also in Nethergate. Enemies are kind of similar, other than dealing more damage and having more hit points... except you kind of progress at the same pace. Thus, you use the same skills and spells over and over - which I guess is fine for a hack and slash or something. But this is turnbased, thereby testing your tactics and not your mad gamer skillz, thus, *yawn*. I mean, for instance, if you think about it, Max Payne is kind of repetitive. Imagine playing Max Payne as a turn-based... yeah...

But if you can get over that, it is really a great game that you should give a chance.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Leezar wrote: July 21st, 2021, 2:28 am but by level 10 or so you have become a demigod, unable to suffer any defeat (which tends to make it boring. To be honest, I haven't really finished a lot of Spiderweb games, for this particular reason).
Well, here is an idea. Download Geneforge V and set the difficulty to Torment. Please let us know if you ever become a demigod.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I think i finished one game ive bought from spiderweb but have bought nearly all of them because i liked the one i finished enough to want to support him and someday when i cant play modern games because im old i might finish some of the others HA AH that said, yeah, i like the games he puts out. just cant seem to pay attention enough to actualy finish them.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Painted Lady wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:24 pm
Leezar wrote: July 21st, 2021, 2:28 am but by level 10 or so you have become a demigod, unable to suffer any defeat (which tends to make it boring. To be honest, I haven't really finished a lot of Spiderweb games, for this particular reason).
Well, here is an idea. Download Geneforge V and set the difficulty to Torment. Please let us know if you ever become a demigod.
Here now, I like Spiderweb games and have bought a bunch of them. Exile II and Nethergate are probably his best.

That said,..

Realmz was done roughly the same year as Exile, and they shared a lot of resources such as graphics so Jeff must know whomever made that game I guess. Realmz was balanced, Realmz I finished (well, it doesn't actually have a proper end, but I have done all there is to do). He could have asked for the engine, or help balancing his game as well, or something, I dunno...

Warlords have been around forever as well. Then there was BG (ok, it is a legacy game so comparing isn't fair), then there is a bunch of other games with one person or small team, even modern ones such as Eschalon and Paper Sorcerer. All of these games are more balanced, and there have been, what, 30 years to get inspired by the rest of the industry, I'd say. But the "childhood" balancing issues Exile suffered from... are still here, even in Spiderwebs latest titles. Just sayin' no need to hate on me...
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole