Survival RPGs

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
ty5479
Initiate

Survival RPGs

Post by ty5479 »

Hey guys, I just recently found out about Eschalon Book 1. It's a fantastic RPG and I really like it so far. The only thing it lacks is a food system(which I hope stays in book 2). I like the idea of being able to survive in an RPG. Which is probably why I'm drawn to roguelikes so much. Which leads me to my next question. Does anybody know of any good RPGs that have a food requirement? I hope one day to find a true survival RPG where you can hunt, seek water, build shelter, etc. It would be awesome... But unfortunately I'm noticing a horrible trend in video games no days. They are making them simpler and easier for the sake of attracting more people. Much like how Spore was originally going to be an awesome game. But they "dumbed" it down because they wanted more sales. Such a shame. Anyways, enough of my rambling.
getter77
Senior Steward

Re: Survival RPGs

Post by getter77 »

Odds are you are looking for Notrium, alongside many a Roguelike.

http://www.monkkonen.net/notrium/
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

The newly released Avernum 6 game has food requirements. You start to starve if you don't have food to eat. Don't know what happens if you starve, I keep plenty of food or try to. See, the mushrooms everyone used to depend on have been hit by the Blight and good ones are few and far between. Food riots are starting to pop up here and there and the enemy(s) are taking advantage. :)
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
ty5479
Initiate

Post by ty5479 »

Cool, I'm going to check out both of these. At least Notrium.. Avernum 6 doesn't appear to be out for windows yet or has a linux version.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

I checked out Notrium by way of the link provided above. At first glance, it did not seem like the type of game I usually play, however, despite the "food" thing, which I hate in "any" game...the more I read up on, and see screen shots of this game, the more it piques my interest, and so, I put it on my download list. Thanks for adding it here.

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia springs to mind, it has a food requirement, but is also a bit of a survival game as well as a solid rpg. Has that nice "early Ultima" feel to it, but works perfectly in windows (well should do anyway)

Linkage
http://www.nwlink.com/~dberke/ex1.htm
ty5479
Initiate

Post by ty5479 »

Notrium is pretty cool. I've played a little bit of it. Also Driftmoon made by the same guy seems like it will be decent when it comes out. he has a preview you can download for it. I'll try out Lysandia, it does feel like it would have a ultima vibe. Speaking of Ultima, Ultima underworld was a fantasic game. It' was like one of the early ones i ever played.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

ty5479 wrote:Cool, I'm going to check out both of these. At least Notrium.. Avernum 6 doesn't appear to be out for windows yet or has a linux version.
True, I believe it will be out in March 2010 if I recall what my newsletter said.

Perhaps we can try and remember to say what computer games we mention are on. Either PC or Mac or both. ??
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
ty5479
Initiate

Post by ty5479 »

Dragonlady wrote:
ty5479 wrote:Cool, I'm going to check out both of these. At least Notrium.. Avernum 6 doesn't appear to be out for windows yet or has a linux version.
True, I believe it will be out in March 2010 if I recall what my newsletter said.

Perhaps we can try and remember to say what computer games we mention are on. Either PC or Mac or both. ??

I agree, we probably should mention that.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Come now, it's much more entertaining when you assume everyone's on the same page... 0_o
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spiderweb Software's older Exile games required food or you would start taking damage as you starved to death and you could die from it. If you have the sound on you can hear it happen.

They have Windows versions, but some won't run on newer versions of Windows. Free demos can be downloaded to test whether it will run on your system.
Wastelander
Pledge

Post by Wastelander »

Hi!

I found this thread on my search for a good survival game and since you pointed me to a few games I'd like to try out, I thought I'd give something back.

Stranded II (Windows)
http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de/?setlan=en
3D island survival game. Collect food & water, build a shelter, plant crops etc. Too easy to build everything and play through, but lots of fun until then.

Last Winter (Windows)
http://www.urbanprophet.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
I only played the demo, but it looks kinda complex and difficult to survive. Should I get my hands on some spare cash I'll definitely buy this one. Suffers from severely crappy GUI though. ;)

Lost In Blue (Nintendo DS)
AFAIK there's 3 episodes now, all being pretty straight-forward games about collecting food, crafting tools, upgrading you shelter etc. The games actually each have a story and some kind of mystery to discover on the island. Surviving isn't all too complex in these games as for the most part digging for stuff, cooking etc are pretty mini-game-y.

Visions of Aftermath: The Boomtown (DOS)
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/27805 ... mtown.html
Last Winter and VoA:TB probably are going for a tie in respect to difficulty and complexity. This one is a pretty old game set in a post-nuclear wasteland. Activities include exploring the (remains of the) world, finding food and other resources, learning how to build structures and tools and so on.

I hope to have provided some interesting games for you all to try out. Maybe someone else knows another game or two.

Regards
~W
kengfa
Pledge

Post by kengfa »

If you can wait Minecraft will be the closest thing I've found thats even currently in production. Minecraft will have a realistic mode at some point requiring you to get food, probably having some sort of physics on every block, needing sleep, water and then there's of course the creepers, zombies, skeletons, spiders and future mobs you must have a shelter from
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

If you want a game all about survival then Robinson's Requiem sounds like it fits the bill.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Donleon
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Donleon »

<--- Minecraft Hater
yo stranded is cool you should try it out err seems that realy good survival rpg's are only running on windows. Still i played this game one time http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/
Bad graphics but i had it in good memory's