Dawn's Light?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Dawn's Light?

Post by Rush »

I checked out the site, and this game seems to have possibilities. If it was mentioned prior to this upon these boards, I am not sorry for bringing it up yet again. See why by checking out the site, and the game, for yourself.

http://johnwizard.com/index.php

Thanks.
---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
Rush
Senior Council Member

Re: Dawn's Light?

Post by Rush »

Okay...so I have been playing Dawn's Light for some time now, and I would like to take back my recommendation. I found the game to be extremely predetermined---not much actual player involvement other then to nudge the characters down their, again, extremely predetermined path---which left me a little bored (yawn), which in turn, paved the way for buyer's remorse.

Sorry people...my bad.
---Rush.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Damn that Buyer's Remorse!

It took you all of 3 days, Rush, to change your mind!

At any rate, I looked at the trailer and it didn't really excite me. I dunno, I just can't get into these old-style games, these days... that is, anything older-style than the Spiderweb games (which are more retro-looking than Eschalon). I want pretty graphics and interesting, involved stories and interesting characters. That keeps me happy.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Evnissyen wrote:It took you all of 3 days, Rush, to change your mind!
If you find that impressive...it generally takes me three days to discover that I've been typing with the blasted "caps lock" on, heh.

---rUSH.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

when i read the first post i was actually going to try it out until i read the second post when i saw that you completly changed your mind now i say no thank you
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

I have to disagree with your comments.

Dawn's Light is "just" a J-RPG, with no no other intents.

It's a good RPG Maker game, with hand drawn enemies (instead of stock icons from RPGM), a good story, strong humor and no grinding need.

If you like J-RPG, you shall try it, if not, you will be fairly disappointed by the lack of immersion (at least, chickens won't give you money, like in Aveyond...), the lack of choices and the linearity of the game.

A good title if you're not looking for an Eschalon replacement.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Just thought I would clarifty...for no particular reason, of course.

Point 1: Due to my particular disability, I have a lot of time upon my hands, and so, during the days I allot as "game days," I spend anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day gaming, which translates into 30-36 hours per the 3 days, for example, I mentioned somewhere above. PLENTY of time to get a good feel for ANY game.

Point 2: I have played quite a few games between now, and the time I created this post, and yet, as I recall, throughout the game, almost everything in it is defined as a quest, and a quest completed, for example...learning about a town is a quest. Entering it is a quest completed. How utterly lame a game can suddenly become when everytime someone farts and the wind shifts, you've been given AND you've completed a quest.

Point 3: As I also recall...the exact number of enemies, for example, that you will encounter within the game have been predetermined. (yawn) No more...no less.

Point 4: This is a forum for RPG games, whether they be console, computer, pc and/or pencil and paper...or what have you. A forum in which people of like mind discuss these same PRG games. I entered the game as a new topic. I typed out my opinion, and fired it off. The key point being: IT WAS JUST AN OPINION, and nothing more...and within that same opionion, I in no way, shape, form or manner attempted to prevent "anyone" from playing this game.

Point 5: To sum up...I did not enjoy the game. Everything within it was far too predetermined for me, so much so, that any fun I, as a player, could have had, was taken from me by this same predetermination. As for anyone out there reading this post...I say give the game a whirl, if you so desire. You may just discover that it is one of the best games currently out there, and if so...I give you a hearty..."enjoy."

Oh, and to CycyX above...I like your avatar...I freely claim to be a South Park fan...and have/own every season currently available.

Rush.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Eh... I got tired of South Park a long time ago. For reasons that're too complicated for anybody to endure me explaining here... so I won't. Besides, I don't feel like it. :P

(On the other hand, I still love Family Guy, Home Movies, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force (though the latter two haven't made many episodes, as far as I've seen, but then again... it's been a long time since I've watched either of those shows. Family Guy, on the other hand, is rarely disappointing.)

At any rate... CycyX makes a good point, I think. Something to think about.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I'm with Rush on this one... this is more of a J-RPG "lite" anyways. Something that might be good for beginners... at least that's how they start it out. Not enough objects to interact with, the tutorial is pretty lightweight (it misses on a couple of points), I noticed some portrait issues, and *egad* a spelling mistake! Don't tell Jedi-Learner or Buckets!! :mrgreen:

The first quest is pretty annoying... only one frog at a time? And the "let me write this in my journal" is a little on the cheesy side of things... if the author wrote it to be humorous, it didn't work out so well.

I like J-RPGs, and this one wasn't doing it for me. *shrug* Whatever works for someone else, I guess.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

CrazyBernie, are you into game making at all? I've been finding a lot of Indie J-RPGs lately made on the latest RPGMaker (either VX or XV).

I'd take a look at it, but again, I am no programmer, although I can create graphics and a story line easily enough. When they come out with a RPGMaker for "serious" dummies...I think I'll be in business...lol.

Rush.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Me and programming will probably never get along. I often "look into it," and I've given some serious thought into learning a language. Problem is, it's really difficult to pin down a language that:

1.) I want to learn

2.) I can learn easily enough with my short attention span.

So far the language I've been most interested in learning is Java for creating Android games. However, if I wanted to make a PC platform (or console) game, I'm not so sure it would be the best choice.

My biggest gripes with RPG Maker are the low resolution, and the choice of battle screen type (I prefer the "Final Fantasy" style over the "Dragon Quest" style). I've looked into it for making games, but you really have to learn the RGSS language if you want to make more than the most basic of RPG's.

No, for me, the only hope in game creation would be on the design-side of things (story, writing, brainstorming, etc - not artwork). I think I'm just too right-brained to really nail down the programming side... even with my technical know-how. Unless someone where to teach me by actually sitting down and showing me every step... and explaining why something works the way it does (if I understand "why," I can generally better retain the "how" to do it).

That all said, I'm workin' on some stuff. ^_^