Sim City

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Sim City

Post by Dragonlady »

I got "The SimCity Box" set for Xmas from my son to pop onto my PC side of Mac. Just got around to reading the instruction book. (never done sims except waaaay back when on my Commadore 64 - keep your pet dog alive & happy :)). Any suggestions on how to make game enjoyable, 'cheats', what not to do?????
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Sim City

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Is it actually SimCity where you build a city, or is it like a Sims-game where you control the lives of digital people in a city environment?

If it is SimCity- well that is an awesome game. It's not so much a game as it is a "sandbox". You can just try to build a city and keep the budget balanced and the people happy. Make roads, zone areas for construction, etc. It's a very relaxing game. I would play it for hours at work, hidden behind other applications. No wonder I got fired.

Now then, if it has to do with the more modern "Sims" tiles - the little computer people who you live vicariously through - I don't know anything about it.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

From the sound of the title, it's This.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

CrazyBernie wrote:From the sound of the title, it's This.

Yep, that's the one. I just can't get my mind to think of Wikipedia or Google to look stuff up. My brain is wired for actual encyclopedia books or word of mouth. :roll:
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

SimCity 4 is just the up-to-date version of the original Sim City, which as BW said is a fun sandbox where you build a modern city from the ground up. I've spent hours upon hours with the original (three versions, the C64, later DOS, and now Windows versions!) and SimCity 2000. Never played any past that though. From what I've heard 4 is the most complex of them all.

Great fun, no matter what you do. At least for me.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

When I was a kid I used to get real into the game, despite me telling myself all the time that it was all utterly pointless. There was something very addictive about it.

But lately I find it harder to get into. SimCity 2000 is, I suppose, the latest version I was able to download for free... it's relatively primitive, but... the same game, and all.
Still, I suppose I mostly avoid it because I know it's pointlessly addictive, or addictively pointless.

At least with narrative games I can rationalize to myself that I'm getting something out of it, emotionally and intellectually, it's like reading a book or watching a good film, except that you're a participant.
With SimCity, however... total pointlessness, and yet... addictive.

It's just so fun, the idea of building your own functioning town/city.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

Evnissyen wrote: It's just so fun, the idea of building your own functioning town/city.
Or destroying it. ;) SimCity2000 is also the cutoff point for me, though I'll admit I never touched 4 so I can't really comment on how good or bad it it.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

I have Simcity 2000 on Playstation...one of the most addicting games I've ever played. During the times I just want something mindless to do upon the computer, I call up a template I created in my Paint program, and then sit for hours designing cities to try out within the game.

---Rush.
Some came to sing, some came to pray
Some came to keep the dark away...
katangputz
Pledge

Post by katangputz »

SimCity holds a special place in my heart.SimCity Societies may be one of the few game sequels in recent history which has squandered the hard work and perspiration that had gone into its predecessors.SimCity makes the art of city building a breeze.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

My cities were always filled with windmills . . . windmills and solar plants.

Windmills are better.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Here is what seems to be a SimCity clone, playable under Windows, and/or Mac. I can't download it just yet...I have several games to download and try before giving this one a go, so if you (anyone) download(s) and play(s) it, please come back here and tell us what you think about it.

http://www.raumagame.com

---Rush.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Rush wrote:Here is what seems to be a SimCity clone, playable under Windows, and/or Mac. I can't download it just yet...I have several games to download and try before giving this one a go, so if you (anyone) download(s) and play(s) it, please come back here and tell us what you think about it.

http://www.raumagame.com

---Rush.
I got that not too long after it first came out. I got sick and never got back to it. I'll look into this newer version soon. Got to be working on Din's Curse and dropping everything when Book II comes out (of course) :lol:
Rush
Senior Council Member

Post by Rush »

Cool, Dragon Lady. I went ahead and downloaded it last night, or rather very, very early this morning, lol. Turns out I can't play it at this time, due to the fact that the flat screen monitor I'm currently using is too small for the game.

Decided to go ahead and finally download Ara Fell this afternoon. I've been meaning to give it a go for quite awhile now, and today seems like as good a day as any.

---Rush.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Rush:

Thanks, man. I'll try it out.

They get extra points, from me, for putting out a Mac version. That means no switching over to the Dark Side of my computer.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

It's double-posting time.

I've been playing City of Rauma, it's not bad, it has a charming simplicity to it, though SimCity (at least the SimCity I'm familiar with) is pretty simple on its own... but I'm also bothered by the lack of certain options like being able to slow down or speed up time and also the option to look at the budget and alter at, as we're able to do in SimCity.

Also, the music, though better than SimCity's 'music', gets tiresome really, really quickly, and you can't shut it off. Argh!

No ambient sounds, either, which really is an important feature of SimCity. And it's bothersome not being able to rotate the map.

But I like the game all the same, no rhyme intended.

Not having to put so much attention on the energy lines and the waterpipes is also nice, but then... I also sort of miss it..

Oh, well. I guess I prefer SimCity, after all.