Arcanum

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
macdude22
Council Member

Re: Arcanum

Post by macdude22 »

Gog is a subsidiary of CD Projekt (the guys that do The Witcher). They negotiate with the publishers and developers to be a new distribution channel for the games offered. On top of that they take special effort to package the games so that they will run without dickering on XP and Vista. You buy it, you keep it forever. All the games are a single gog installer, that will install DOSbox or other ancillary items as needed by the specific game.

No additional fees.
No selling your information.
No dicking you around.
No secret programs phoning home.
Plenty of classy lads who love Good Old Games.

They are 100% legit.

As I understand it some of the licensing they've pulled off has been no small feat with the disparate parties that have owned bits of different games.

Generally you'll probably find their copy of games work better than the original copies as they've made their effort to update them to be XP/Vista compatible. They tend to include neat things like maps, guides, soundtracks, and more when they are able to hammer out a licensing deal.

You can download your purchases anytime, anyplace. CC numbers are not stored, you have to enter purchase information for each purchase.

The short of it, you won't be disappointed in them. The chaps that run it are generally classic game aficionados who do this more for the love of old games than money.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Okay, I'm trusting you on this, man! :)

I do like the look of Arcanum... .
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

They haven't sucker punched me yet anyway.
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

I love GoG. I've picked up Sacred Gold, Fallout 2, Spellforce Platinum Edition, Arcanum, and just today, Enclave and Two World Epic Edition.

I applaud them for all that they have done, and heartily recommend them to all my gaming friends.

DRM free, and guaranteed to work with XP and Vista - this is wonderful. Their prices are good, and when they have sales, they are even better! You get some good, honest reviews (both pro and con) for the games they sell, by the gamers that love/hate them. License keys are provided for online play (in the case of Sacred). Purchases give you access to artwork, maps, manuals, avatars, soundtracks.

Download it, burn it to DVD for safekeeping, back it up to an external drive, or just download it again if you need to reinstall it.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

Yeah I've purchased several titles from GOG and to the best of my knowledge there's no shady stuff going on. You buy the game you own it. You can DL it whenever you want and however many times you want and there's no DRM crap to have to deal with. They haven't charged me any extra fees or come to my house to collect my first born... so far :lol:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
Punsh
Initiate

Post by Punsh »

Oh yes I like it, the flair is absolutly beautiful.

hm but the music need more variety about the time, like in mostly every rpg
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

It looks like I'm going to have to wait on Arcanum. Dragon Age (finally) is on it's way from Amazon (along with a cool book by Shane Jones called Light Boxes. That should arrive Monday.

Order this from your local library, people, and check it out; then buy it. I think a lot of you will like it.

Basically, it's about a village trying to defeat February.

Because February's being an especially bad boy, this time around.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Sympathy156
Initiate

Post by Sympathy156 »

Finished Arcanum not long ago, and MAN WAS IT GOOD! Immediately after finishing I started a new game in the Vormantown module. I didn't want it to end so quickly! ;_; There's no excuse not to play it! :wink:
put your hand in mine
we will go skating
on the thinnest ice
that we can find
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

arcanum is pretty good when it comes to graphics and story which is the most important thing to me but the game play is not that good i currently own the game but i never got to playing for a long while to see how it becomes later on.
plus i hate the fact that it doesn't have a minimap.
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

Arcanum has some great feats like superb crafting, but somehow it lacks something.
It gets boring after mid-game, i played it several times finishing it just once.

GOG is just honestly fighting for it`s position on the market, offering good reliable stuff at reasonable price. That`s just CDProjekt division business policy.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

If you enjoy lots of choice in character development, interesting story lines, and a detailed world that rewards exploration then Arcanum is worth trying.

I certainly enjoyed it. Arcanum was good times. 8)