Might & Magic LE

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Might & Magic LE

Post by Randomizer »

I spent months mapping MM1 back when it first came out. I wish I remembered where I put my notes because I don't want to remap it all over again. When I get to it I'll probably start with MM2 since I wasn't as far along having only visited the first 4 towns.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Randomizer wrote:I spent months mapping MM1 back when it first came out. I wish I remembered where I put my notes because I don't want to remap it all over again. When I get to it I'll probably start with MM2 since I wasn't as far along having only visited the first 4 towns.
Same here. I did find this site that may be of tremendous help in the map department. Just click on which map you need.

-> http://mightandmagicgrove.com/mm1/maps.htm
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Just thought I'd let you know, Alt-Q did work and I was able to get out of program. THANKS!
I'm ready to check out the first town now after lots of work getting characters ready and getting loot from original players in the files. :D

Of course, I'll stop playing like a hot tomato when Book II beta testing starts... :mrgreen:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Saxon1974 wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Ah, good times. Love the M&M series so much.
Curious which is your favorite?
The Swords of Xeen trilogy (3,4,5) is my favorite, but I enjoyed nearly every game in the series to be quite honest.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Feidb
Apprentice

Post by Feidb »

My favorite computer RPG of all time.
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

Saxon1974 wrote:
tiresius wrote:I beat M&M1 with a cluebook. I just can't take not having an automap. For M&M2 I didn't make a huge dent in the main quest but I did find a nice magical well in a desert that bumped stats up to 200, then I would transport to a valley with very nasty creatures. After several failed attempts I got lucky and from the first battle went up a few levels. Eventually I got my party up to level 90+ and was doing 2.1k damage. I was having a lot of fun opening black boxes and getting cool magical lewtz. Those were the days.

Dragon lady I suggest using DosBox with M&M1 if you are not already. I think to get out of M&M1 you use ALT-Q.
You know its interesting, I get using a cluebook because mapping is a bit tedious but this being said, I think these old games were made for you to map them by hand on purpose. I find them WAY more fun when I do my own mapping, its the fun of discovery you know?

But beating MMI even with a cluebook and maps is not that easy.
M&M cluebooks (at least the first few that I've seen) were very well done as far as balancing the "spoil factor". The maps were basically just the walls and doors, although they did show pass-through doors with arrows. Each map had a small paragraph with some cryptic hints that would help you a little. I have my M&M I in front of me and I have notes in pencil on the map for the exits/special encounters. The listing of special events and items had their coordinates encrypted with a simple numeric/alpha key. So you could figure out the hints you needed when you needed them.

Mapping on graph paper might have been some of the charm, but I never liked it back then, even when playing the BT1-3 games

Oh and my M&M Book 1 and M&M 2 boxes for the C64 are two of the few computer game boxes I begged my wife to let me keep. :)
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

tiresius wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
tiresius wrote:I beat M&M1 with a cluebook. I just can't take not having an automap. For M&M2 I didn't make a huge dent in the main quest but I did find a nice magical well in a desert that bumped stats up to 200, then I would transport to a valley with very nasty creatures. After several failed attempts I got lucky and from the first battle went up a few levels. Eventually I got my party up to level 90+ and was doing 2.1k damage. I was having a lot of fun opening black boxes and getting cool magical lewtz. Those were the days.

Dragon lady I suggest using DosBox with M&M1 if you are not already. I think to get out of M&M1 you use ALT-Q.
Oh and my M&M Book 1 and M&M 2 boxes for the C64 are two of the few computer game boxes I begged my wife to let me keep. :)
My wife keeps telling me to get rid of my boxes of boxes. I keep giving her the number for a divorce lawyer. 8)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Ah, good times. Love the M&M series so much.
Curious which is your favorite?
The Swords of Xeen trilogy (3,4,5) is my favorite, but I enjoyed nearly every game in the series to be quite honest.
The seems to be the consensus for the best M&M. I havent played throught those yet, the cartoony graphics always turned me off. Gonna play it eventually though.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

macdude22 wrote:My wife keeps telling me to get rid of my boxes of boxes. I keep giving her the number for a divorce lawyer. 8)
:lol:
azraelck
Senior Steward

Post by azraelck »

macdude22 wrote:
My wife keeps telling me to get rid of my boxes of boxes. I keep giving her the number for a divorce lawyer. 8)
Better watch it, she might take off with all your boxes! :lol:

Sadly, I threw away all my old boxes. The follies of youth. Still have the games, but no boxes. Technically, I don't even have the C64 games any more, since they disks have long since quit reading. :cry:

Might and Magic II is probably my favorite in the series. Mostly because it was the first I played, and in those days my DOS computer couldn't handle M&M3 (forget Xeen). I never got too much into 1, mostly because it is a bit archaic. These days, I don't spend time mapping, or grinding a level 1 party just to get to the point that they can afford weapons and armor (much less survive). Too much else I'd like to do.

I have all M&M games (even 9). After 5, they lost alot of the charm and atmosphere that was a series staple; I didn't like 6 or 7 near as much as WoX, though they're still great games and on my hard drive. 8 however, was an abomination. 9 is the One-That-Is-Not-Mentioned.
http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity. - Edgar Allan Poe
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

azraelck wrote:Sadly, I threw away all my old boxes. The follies of youth. Still have the games, but no boxes. Technically, I don't even have the C64 games any more, since they disks have long since quit reading.
Well at least we have emulation to help keep the games alive!

I've played a chunk of WoX via emulation, and it was enough to tell me I would have enjoyed it immensely... 10 or 15 years ago (It'd have been right up there with the Gold Box series). Now, I'm definitely spoiled by a nice shiny interface. *sigh*

I'm even finding it harder to go back and enjoy some of my favorites... I get this feeling that I'm missing out if I'm not spending my time on something new. Grrr.. I might have to force myself to re-play Final Fantasy 4-6. Maybe I'll get them loaded up on the Wii.... 0_o
Luzur
Apprentice

Post by Luzur »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:My son got that deal a few weeks ago and finally got it loaded onto the PC side of my laptop. I tried to play it but it wassn't working very well. MM1 that is. Couldn't figure out how to quit. I have faint memories of Playing MM1-3 and I think I only finished 1. That was long ago and on our Commodore or the Amiga waaaay back when. :) Haven't gotten son to fix stuff yet so I can play it while I wait for the much better/wanted Book II.
Wow if you finished MM1 or MM2 im impressed, they are both very hard to finish. The first one because it doesn't hold your hand AT ALL. You have to map everything yourself and its quite large. MMII has an automap i think but it still is a huge game (My favorite one though), I think I played it like 100 hours last year and wasn't that closed to finishing.
as it should be.
---------------------------------------------
Collector of CRPG's and Commodore computers.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:The Swords of Xeen trilogy (3,4,5) is my favorite, but I enjoyed nearly every game in the series to be quite honest.
Never played 3, but I loved World of Xeen (don't really see them as separate games).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Charles-cgr
Pledge

Post by Charles-cgr »

MMI was the first RPG I ever played. I was 10 yrs old though, so I racked up tons of experience and visited places randomly, but never had any clue as to how to finish the game.

MMII was the second RPG I ever played. I was 12, and not much more 'finishing the game' oriented. Did find the cuisinart though (1 million xp per battle won, reset with every game save) so I quickly had an uber party.

Both being on floppies for the Apple IIGS, they still run but saved games were lost (and continued getting lost if I tried to start over).

Games I-V came out as a cd pack about 10 yrs ago. I bought it and rushed to MMI. Unfortunately, it killed the laptop I installed it on. That was also about the time I bought MMVI. I agree with Saxon, it did kind of lose the real RPG feel but was still quite fun.

I'm very tempted by the GOG offer but... time is an issue. I know I can spend a LOT of it on MMI & II alone, just catching up. And maybe getting old new ideas for Underworld, or perhaps a sequel...

Also I'm kind of afraid it'll kill another laptop.

I don't have the boxes anymore but I still have the manuals somewhere.
Classic Games Remade. Well, one down, hopefully plenty to go. Underworld is a Might and Magic I & II inspired RPG (just recently revamped!)
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by tiresius »

Charles-cgr wrote:I'm very tempted by the GOG offer but... time is an issue. I know I can spend a LOT of it on MMI & II alone, just catching up.
I played these RPGs at the same age you did and you will be surprised at how much better you are now at playing games. I remember spending a couple months playing Bard's Tale III and staying in the starter dungeon, trying to get some dragon figurine or some random thing. Playing BT3 again last year I was out of there in a week! :)

That and the lack of disk-swapping and loading times, and the game itself is played much much faster. Go get the GOG offer, find your M&MI manual and prop it up against the monitor so you can see the spell chart on the back. You won't be disappointed!