RPG's for MAC

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
jbergvt
Pledge

RPG's for MAC

Post by jbergvt »

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but was wondering if anyone had links to rpg's for mac. I have played all of the Avernum games and , of course, Eschalon I. I'm waiting for Book 2, which I know is coming soon, but was looking for more games like those mentioned. Thanks to all who can help.
J
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: RPG's for MAC

Post by MyGameCompany »

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's not much available for Mac, but I can recommend this one:
http://www.mygamecompany.com/Products/O ... eteers.htm

Some of the folks here didn't care for it, but I enjoyed it. There's a free demo, so it doesn't cost you anything to try it.

Also, if your Mac has dual processors or one of the newest CPUs and can run VMWare Fusion or Parallels with decent performance, there are some indie RPGs made with RPG Maker that run fairly well. I have a list of them on my web site, under the Windows RPGs section. I run many of these on my Mac Pro using VMWare Fusion, and they are quite playable.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BadYeti
Pledge

Post by BadYeti »

Also, don't forget about Wine/Crossover, Dosbox/Boxer, Bootcamp, and the various Mac-compatible emulators for older consoles (VisualBoyAdvance, Snes9x, ePSXe, etc.)

Between those various emulators and virtualization environments, you can play almost anything on a Mac. Here's a screenshot of the Games folder on my MacBook.

Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

Ambrosia Software and Soldak Entertainment are making good RPG games for the Macintosh platform. Also, there are many open-source and free rouguelike games, try a search on Google.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Nevermore wrote:Ambrosia Software and Soldak Entertainment are making good RPG games for the Macintosh platform. Also, there are many open-source and free rouguelike games, try a search on Google.
Ambrosia makes RPGs?!!

It's been ages since I've checked out what they have (they kind of lost me after EV:Nova, as none of their followup games seemed to interest me...) - could you point me in the direction of the game you're thinking of?

(But, for Mac CRPGs, it's Basilisk, Spiderweb, and Soldak, and that's pretty much it over the last decade or so, from what I've seen...)
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

IJBall wrote:
Nevermore wrote:Ambrosia Software and Soldak Entertainment are making good RPG games for the Macintosh platform. Also, there are many open-source and free rouguelike games, try a search on Google.
Ambrosia makes RPGs?!!

It's been ages since I've checked out what they have (they kind of lost me after EV:Nova, as none of their followup games seemed to interest me...) - could you point me in the direction of the game you're thinking of?

(But, for Mac CRPGs, it's Basilisk, Spiderweb, and Soldak, and that's pretty much it over the last decade or so, from what I've seen...)
They produced a long time ago, an RPG Ultima-like, called Cythera

The interesting thing of this title is that the community can join to the develop of the game with music, programming, art and other goodies. :roll:
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

/Off Topic

ZOBIE WANT A NEW ESCAPE VELOCITY

/On Topic
Riggon
Apprentice

Post by Riggon »

jbergvt wrote:I have played all of the Avernum games
Have you played the Geneforge series? They all run natively on Mac, and they are made by Spiderweb Software, the same company that developed Avernum. Nethergate: Resurrection is another Spiderweb Software RPG game that runs natively on Mac, although its engine/graphics are like those of the first three Avernum games. If you're using PPC mac, some of Spiderweb Software's earlier/earliest games might work on your system as well. :)
Nothing is something, because it is the state of the absence of everything, as well as being a word in the english language and an idea formulated by mankind to attempt to describe the conception of the lack of everything.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Nethergate: Resurrection, there's something that ate a week of my life in '07. I'm a pretty big history buff and it really drew me in.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

macdude22 wrote:Nethergate: Resurrection, there's something that ate a week of my life in '07. I'm a pretty big history buff and it really drew me in.
...Not a bad game, if you can stand the really, really primitive graphics and animation and the really clumsy gameplay . . . I'm really into Celtic folklore so that's the aspect that drew me in.

Also, unfortunately: another example of how the older Spiderweb games totally failed in the non-linear approach, seeing as I spent much of the latter part of the game fighting enemies from which I gained little to no experience.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Riggon
Apprentice

Post by Riggon »

Apparently Jeff's thinking about going back at some point and updating Avernum 1, porting it into the new engine and giving it the latest graphics and sounds. I hope he does, because as it currently stands I really can't play any of his earliest games for longer than five minutes... I honestly can't.
Nothing is something, because it is the state of the absence of everything, as well as being a word in the english language and an idea formulated by mankind to attempt to describe the conception of the lack of everything.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

jbergvt wrote:Hello,
I'm new to this forum but was wondering if anyone had links to rpg's for mac. I have played all of the Avernum games and , of course, Eschalon I. I'm waiting for Book 2, which I know is coming soon, but was looking for more games like those mentioned. Thanks to all who can help.
J
Here a not complete list of CRPG released on Mac and working on modern OSX with Mac Intel computers:
  • ADOM (Roguelike)
  • Avernum series
  • Baldur's Gate 1 (You can try run Baldur's Gate 1 on OSX too by using OSX version of Tutu allowing to play Baldur's Gate 1 with Baldur's Gate 2 engine)
  • Baldur's Gate 1: Tales of the Sword Coast (see Baldur's Gate 1)
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
  • Blades of Avernum
  • Dragon Age: Origins (you'll need one of the more recent Mac computers to run it well).
  • Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (Roguelike but with graphics and mouse interface)
  • Dungeon Siege 1
  • Fable: The Lost Chapters
  • Fallout (you'll need seek the OSX port on the net somewhere, it's never been fully officially I think but it's a known port)
  • Fallout 2
  • Geneforge series
  • Heroes of Might & Magic V (with this one the series moved to a much stronger mood of RPG even if it's still a strategy game).
  • Icewind Dale (Not sure for this one, there's an OSX version but not sure it works with Intel Mac and last versions of OSX).
  • Icewind Dale II (Make it works on OSX will require a complicate installation through user mods working with Icewind Dale OSX)
  • Jade Empire: Special Edition
  • Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
  • Magic Stones
  • Nethergate: Resurrection
  • Nevewinter Night 1
  • Nevewinter Night 1: Shadows of Undrentide
  • Nevewinter Night 1: Hordes of the Underdark
  • Nevewinter Night 2
  • Nevewinter Night 2: Mask of the Betrayer (need use the last patch, the PC add-on and some manual installation)
  • Nevewinter Night 2: Storm of Zehir (need use the last patch, the PC add-on and some manual installation)
  • Nevewinter Night 2: Mysteries of Westage (not sure this one can work)
  • The Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control 2)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Summoner
  • The Three Musketeers
  • Ultima V - Lazarus (Remake developed as a mod for Dungeon Siege 1)
And some that are much more action games but still have something of a RPG:
  • Depths of Peril
  • Diablo 2 (You'll need get the OSX installer on Blizzard site if you have an old CD version)
  • Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction (same than Diablo 2)
  • Din’s Curse
  • Freedom Force
  • Torchlight
BadYeti wrote: ...Here's a screenshot of the Games folder on my MacBook....
How do you get such files view in OSX?
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Riggon wrote:Apparently Jeff's thinking about going back at some point and updating Avernum 1, porting it into the new engine and giving it the latest graphics and sounds. I hope he does, because as it currently stands I really can't play any of his earliest games for longer than five minutes... I honestly can't.
Yeah . . . unfortunately, though, when he "updated" Nethergate -- remember -- it was still that old clumsy interface where you were best off using the keyboard to move you character around, lest you bump into walls all the time . . . the old graphics and the old simplistic animation. But . . . obviously I can't really comment knowledgeably on his plans for A1-A3 since I've no idea what he plans to do with them.

Personally, if I were him I'd leave those games alone and put all my thought and time into to the next thing. But . . . duh, I'm not him.

Palog:
Unfortunately, NwN1 is no longer on sale for the Mac. I'm sure you can find it used, though, so . . . no argument.

Same with Baldur's Gate too, I think -- though I could very well be wrong.

Of course: anyone who can't find them used and wants to buy them new can always partition their Mac with Boot Camp and install XP . . . which is what I did.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Evnissyen wrote:
Riggon wrote:
Palog:
Unfortunately, NwN1 is no longer on sale for the Mac. I'm sure you can find it used, though, so . . . no argument.
Your best bet is to buy the PC version of Diamond, download the Mac Demo, and use the script on the NWN forums to install from the PC disk. The game goes for a mint $60+ used for the Mac, for no real reason other than MacSoft stopped publishing it.

The script method is semi-sanctioned by Bioware (but no support) and at least they get a penny or three from the sale vs. spending a mint on a "legit" used copy that you can download "pirated" from half a dozen places. Stuff like NWN Mac make me struggle philosophically with our current copyright laws.

I can dig up the script if need be, I have it installed and probably have it still somewhere.
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

I know a shop in Paris that still has some NWN1 boxes, both separate packages and the full NWN1 pack, totally new stuff. But in a localized version. :) I didn't knew there was no more NWN1 boxes available but used. For Baldur's Gate 1 it's not surprising as that's not an OSX game. I'm surprised that most of those in this list are still available new in box version.

I have all of them in a box version, I mean those with a box version, but BG2 ToB never released in my country for a Mac localized version.