Avadon: The Black Fortress

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Re: Avadon: The Black Fortress

Post by Evnissyen »

Randomizer wrote:He always needs new testers to balance out the insane min-max die hard gamers left over from previous game testing. :)
Yeah, that must be how we got that middle-point in G5 where you can't proceed if your character is not a Sorceress or Lifecrafter. (Better for you if you're a Sorceress.)

I'm not biting, though. I hate the Spiderweb community.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Avadon: The Black Fortress is now out for Mac systems.
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

So anyone play it yet?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I spent almost 5 months beta testing it. It uses the Geneforge 5 game engine for most of it. Lots of point and click for moving and combat. You can almost never use the keyboard after naming your character.

A small demo for a Spiderweb game (3 to 4 hours at most). Fairly linear plot with some side quests and a depressing story line. Lots of moral dilemmas and choices to affect the game endings.

Decent gaming system and some replay since you have 4 distinct classes instead of the earlier almost classless systems. This time it's fighter (blademaster). ninja thief (shadowwalker). mage (sorceress), and healer (shaman) where you pick a class and can get up to 2 companions at a time to help you. Playing by yourself is possible but harder.

Mostly it's the mood and story. Have Nathalie (sorceress) as a companion especially in the last half of the game since she gets the best lines. Shima (shadowwalker) has some great lines too about fighting.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

The latest and new game from Spiderweb is now out for the Mac. Pc soon.
Spiderweb Software brings you Avadon: The Black Fortress, the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.
My son did some of the Beta testing and he says it is pretty good. Here is the (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.htm) Link. The screen shots I managed to sneak a look at were good in my opinion. :)

edit: They say the demo is rather large, gonna get it in about an hour or so.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Dragonlady wrote:The latest and new game from Spiderweb is now out for the Mac. Pc soon.
Spiderweb Software brings you Avadon: The Black Fortress, the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.
My son did some of the Beta testing and he says it is pretty good. Here is the (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html) Link. The screen shots I managed to sneak a look at were good in my opinion. :)

I added an L at the end of your link in the quote here - yours seems to be missing that piece. :)
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

llew silverhand wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:The latest and new game from Spiderweb is now out for the Mac. Pc soon.
My son did some of the Beta testing and he says it is pretty good. Here is the (http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html) Link. The screen shots I managed to sneak a look at were good in my opinion. :)

I added an L at the end of your link in the quote here - yours seems to be missing that piece. :)
:oops: oh dear, thanks. :cry:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

I was kind of hoping he would go away from the structure he had in his other games, give us some more classes. Oh well. Guess we will have to wait and see.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I have a question for those who have already played the game. Randomizer mentioned moral choices that affect game play. So, is it possible to play as a basically good person or do you miss out on too many XPs if you go in that direction?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The game is capped at level 30, so you go up a little slower and could possibly not reach the cap.

Most of the moral dilemmas involve killing someone or letting them go. A few involve turning possibly innocent people in for questioning and letting the system decide. Some are just whether you help your fellow hands and whether you should do what they want over what Avadon wantsl

Being scum pays better.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Randomizer wrote: Being scum pays better.
That often seems to be the case in RPGs.... Thanks for your help :?
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Okay, well...

Played the demo -- part of it (I stopped at Goldcrag) -- and I think the essential impression I have is: there doesn't appear to be much of anything new here. I mean... I really feel like I've played this game before. Several times, in fact.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Avadon for Windows is being officially released Monday, May 2.

Unofficially links to download the game are going up today to see that they work. :)
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

So for those who have played this game what are you impressions? I'm hearing that is "streamlined" which seems and odd choice for an indy RPG. I dont care for health regeneration in games (At least not real quick regen)...so any thoughts?

I played the demo a bit and wasn't real impressed, should I get it?
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I liked it. Of course, that is just a personal opinion, but it did make me think about the consequences attached to my character's choices. And, that makes it interesting to me.

I know I can take a quest and probably get a lot of XPs, but is it fair to potentially do damage to an innocent person just for my own benefit? That sort of thing becomes important as the game progresses. Challenging situations can be as much fun to me as fighting battles (of which there are still many). I guess it depends on what you want in a game :?