Avernum 5

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Avernum 5

Post by Dragonlady »

Well, my son is deep into exploring Avernum 5. Beta testing that is. He just started yesterday afternoon. Only comment so far (other than cussing) was "It's intense). I don't recall them (Spiderweb) having dogs that barked without using the 'talk' button, but I've been hearing them followed by the clanging of sword noises from where he is working. :D If I can worm anything more out of him, (without giving away plot and/or hints-don't want to jeopardize his beta tester status) I'll let you know.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Hmm, interesting. I would be curious if the gameplay has been improved or its another hack through one area after another. Some quests were you have choices of how to solve them would be nice.

Let us know if you can find out anymore details, thanks.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Okay, there are multiple endings. Don't know yet if different way of doing different 'quests' or not yet. From the sounds in the other room it looks like a lot of battles..but then, there always are in Spiderweb games. :)
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I've played one Avernum game.... can't remeber if III or IV.
I found it a bit boring.
Too much combat (it get repetetive after a while...) and I couldn't "feel" any atmosphere.
And I think they could implement better character visualization.
Gfx is not crucial but I like to see my alter ego wearing a full plate displacing it on him while playing.
Also... some quests are not well explained and you finish to roam between area killing ton of monsters and looking for a particular place/person hidden somewhere.....
It was a delusion.
Now I'm playing Gods Lands of Infinity.... I started yesterday. I think it's fine..... a bit simple but fine.
furor vincit omnia
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

As of today, Avernum 5 is out for the Mac. Thought you might like to know, play the demo for free while we wait impatiently for Escalon. :)
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Dragonlady wrote:As of today, Avernum 5 is out for the Mac. Thought you might like to know, play the demo for free while we wait impatiently for Escalon. :)
Think the PC version comes out early 2008 - now all I need is the time to play all 5 of them :D

macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I'm a HUGE fan of the Spiderweb games as you can see, going back to Exile. I'm slowly wading my way through them again, but I've delved into 5 for the time being, the story is real solid and I was one of the ones that didn't mind the engine change so much. Granted I really did like the old one. A5 disk should arrive shortly. It would appear my cat is a Spiderweb fan as well.

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Iane wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:As of today, Avernum 5 is out for the Mac. Thought you might like to know, play the demo for free while we wait impatiently for Escalon. :)
Think the PC version comes out early 2008 - now all I need is the time to play all 5 of them :D

Somewherre in the forums today they mentioned they were hoping for March 2008, perhaps sooner if the beta testing went alright.

I've been playing it a bit. Have to go slow due to carpal tunnel. Finally got the fricking Rat Lord. :) So many quests so little time... :lol: And when I get stuck, I'm glad I have my son to unstick me. (he beta tested the Mac version or at least most of it, along with lots of others.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hey, what are those Spiderweb manuals like? How many pages are they? Are they fully illustrated? Are they designed to supplement the storyline, or provide technical reference to the RPG rule set?
adamantyr
Apprentice

Avernum 5

Post by adamantyr »

What I want to know is, did they get Phil Foglio back to do artwork? I was really disappointed when it was absent from Avernum 4.

Actually, one really big peeve for me in A4 was that I was only permitted 12 characters for a name. That really pushed my buttons, because I like to use the names of the characters from Tunnels of Doom which are 15 characters, and I was DENIED! And as far as I could tell, for no reason whatsoever. The displays are adjusting and the text is small, so there's no size issues.

Oh, and none of the Avernum games have good mechanisms for full-screen/windowed mode and different resolutions. Granted, they are essentially Mac games ported to a PC. (I know some Mac gamer is chortling about us PC guys having to wait for it... I'll grant him that, all too often the situation is reversed.)

Adamantyr
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

macdude22 wrote:I'm a HUGE fan of the Spiderweb games as you can see, going back to Exile. I'm slowly wading my way through them again, but I've delved into 5 for the time being, the story is real solid and I was one of the ones that didn't mind the engine change so much. Granted I really did like the old one. A5 disk should arrive shortly. It would appear my cat is a Spiderweb fan as well.
OH! man I'm Green with Envy at this moment I'm slowly building up my collection of Spiderweb games - lemme know if you wanna sell any :wink:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Hey, what are those Spiderweb manuals like? How many pages are they? Are they fully illustrated? Are they designed to supplement the storyline, or provide technical reference to the RPG rule set?
They are Hint books (walkthroughs)for the games not the manuals - does have some illustrations - maps but mainly Hints on game if get stuck - books upto 50 pages
macdude22
Council Member

Re: Avernum 5

Post by macdude22 »

adamantyr wrote:(I know some Mac gamer is chortling about us PC guys having to wait for it... I'll grant him that, all too often the situation is reversed.)

Adamantyr
*chortle* :)

The hint books, usually have a bit of illustration. They mainly contain maps and quest guides, if you get stuck in a quest you can usually look it up. Spiderweb has a mechanism of looking up the quest on one page, then finding the answer on another, so it's not really like a typical linear walkthrough, just really what they call them, a hint book. As a gamer with limited time I don't have the time to dilly around frustrating myself, racking my tiny brain for a solution to a puzzle. Plus they always cut you a deal for purchasing the game and book at the same time. I'm humble enough to take a hint. If Basilisk Games were to release some sort of hint book I'd probably be interested in it as well.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hmm, we have no plans to produce a hint guide for Book I, but the forums are always open!

Maybe we should have a special topic just for hints and spoilers, so people who are just looking to know more about the game don't accidentally stumble upon spoilers?
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Maybe we should have a special topic just for hints and spoilers, so people who are just looking to know more about the game don't accidentally stumble upon spoilers?
Yes, something like that would be nice. At the very least, people should clearly label their threads containing spoilers as such (e.g. by having [SPOILERS] in the title).
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

SPOILER ALERT!

Still working on the first part of the game. Warning: (and spoiler) Don't do the 2nd slime quest unless you are really buff or a glutton for punishment! I've given up on that one till I finish off the other quests in the area (if possible). Phew! soaks wrist in ice water for pain. :cry: